Started studying for Linux+

Create a Linux virtual machine. Even if you're running Windows, you can run Hyper-V or another hypervisor. Download a Linux virtual machine into your hypervisor. Set up snapshots. Intentionally break Linux and then restore from a snapshot. Although I may be sounding like a smart ass here, I am sure disaster recovery is something you'd rather learn in a test environment compared to a client/production environment.

I have started studying for the Linux+. I am currently reading a book and doing the Linux Pro in Testout. Any other suggestions to prepare for it. I am looking at taking it in December.
I like the spirit...thats the way to go!

Reactions: Eddy Harden
I have started studying for the Linux+. I am currently reading a book and doing the Linux Pro in Testout. Any other suggestions to prepare for it. I am looking at taking it in December.
Agree with setting up a Linux machine but I'd suggest using VirtualBox, installing a Linux distro from scratch, and then downloading and running other distros from OSBoxes dot org. You need to know Ubuntu cold. Use it everyday. I also studied using ArchLinux and Kali. Update the OS. Install and update applications using different tools. Mount and unmount drives. Know your systemctl. Write a few scripts.

The Cisco NetAcademy had pretty good stuff with Linux. If you don't want to build your own VM. Their labs are included as part of the NetAcademy.
Those free Cisco Network Academy Linux courses are actually NDG Linux courses. Only the Linux Essentials course is free. They are great for learning about commands and use. I'd suggest you need to learn more to pass the Linux+ exam.

Edna Chimpeni

Jan 19, 2022
Agree with setting up a Linux machine but I'd suggest using VirtualBox, installing a Linux distro from scratch, and then downloading and running other distros from OSBoxes dot org. You need to know Ubuntu cold. Use it everyday. I also studied using ArchLinux and Kali. Update the OS. Install and update applications using different tools. Mount and unmount drives. Know your systemctl. Write a few scripts.
Learning.

Do stuff in Debian and RHEL. Join a Linux machine to Active Directory and have it play nice with Windows machines. If you're used to using Windows all the time, switch to Linux and work for a week. See if you can get by on it.

If you want to prepare do the practice and make flash cards on the practice when you can get 90 % and feel comfortable Than you will know you are ready

Reactions: Eddy Harden
Man Pages....

Funny story that.

Back when I was starting out in Linux, I was referencing the man pages for command syntax. Well, not thinking, I went to manpages dot com (not even giving that an opportunity to hyperlink).

Let's just say those weren't the references I was looking for.

I'll leave y'all to fill in the details.

/r

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
the Netherlands
www.kilala.nl
On my Github, I have a project with labs that you can do for Linux+.

My Linux+ class and labs have you create a virtual network in VirtualBox, with at least two VMs: one Fedora Workstation, one Ubuntu Server. At a later point, you will add even more VMs to the network, for further testing. This is in my opinion absolutely needed to learn and practice all the topics for the XK0-005 exam.

The project also has a document which links to great resources (including free ones!) that help people get their first leg up on Linux.