SY0-601 Certmaster Performance Based Questions

Jonathan Kilgannon

Oct 11, 2019
Birmingham UK
Hi All,

New here and first post. I have just been looking at the PBQ in Certmaster (20 of them) as something to offer to students to help better prepare them for the PBQ in the real exam. I have been shocked by the quality as it seems half the scenarios don't contain enough information to answer the questions posed. In addition the answers at times seem to be wrong. You cant change the login credentials for an Active Directory Security Group.

Has anyone else found the questions to be extremely poor? Can anyone suggest an alternative to Certmaster for examples of PBQ practice?

Many thanks

Jonathan
CISSP, MCSA, N+, S+

I will start out by pointing to one simple fact. Performance-based questions are difficult to create and in my opinion difficult to measure, in terms of evaluating and determining if they effectively measure knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs in education speak). I recall a while back taking a PBQ on one of CompTIA's certification exams. It was composed of three drop-down boxes. The first one had 10 items. The second one had 9 items. The third had 5 items. As a consequence, you had 450 possible combinations (10 * 9 * 5) for what amounted to 10 different questions. So, how do you score it? How is it measured in terms of a comparison with the standard four answers multiple choice question with one right answer?

Thoughts?

Liz Wannemacher

VP Marketing @ CompTIA
Staff member
Jul 31, 2019
Chicago, Illinois
partners.comptia.org
Hi All,

New here and first post. I have just been looking at the PBQ in Certmaster (20 of them) as something to offer to students to help better prepare them for the PBQ in the real exam. I have been shocked by the quality as it seems half the scenarios don't contain enough information to answer the questions posed. In addition the answers at times seem to be wrong. You cant change the login credentials for an Active Directory Security Group.

Has anyone else found the questions to be extremely poor? Can anyone suggest an alternative to Certmaster for examples of PBQ practice?

Many thanks

Jonathan
CISSP, MCSA, N+, S+

Hello Jonathan,

Thank you for calling this to our attention. I would like to put you in touch with our editorial team to learn more. CompTIA aims to create the highest-quality learning resources. We welcome your feedback.

Best,
Liz Wannemacher