Syllabi Resources? Assignment grade weights?

Jwehrle

Staff member
Nov 12, 2019
Hi there, the way our product is designed "out of the box" there will be no specific weighting as the course itself as a whole does not build up to a 100% grade. This is very subjective based on how you want to weight each activity, but each activity on its own will have a percentage grade (practice questions, PBQs, Final Assessment, etc.). Also, the Final Assessment has around 90 questions, compared to the practice questions (quizzes) within each lesson that contain 8-10 questions each. If you wanted to assign weights to those you could certainly do that. Lastly, if you decide to pursue LMS integration and are using things like the grade passback within your LMS, you can certainly assign those weights to certain activities on your own. Let me know if this helps!

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    I will be teaching using Cetmaster learn & labs for Cloud+ in the Fall. In preparation, I am working on my syllabus and am required to have grade weights posted. Is there a spreadsheet breakdown of scoring for PBQ, assisted/applied labs, practice questions, and final assessment?
    Doesn't your institution apply grading weight for specific task categories already? Or do they leave it up to the instructor to apply those values?

Jwehrle

Staff member
    Nov 12, 2019
    Hey Rick, there is no specific "weighting" of the grades as CertMaster Learn is considered 100% complete when all activities are completed (regardless of scores). The reporting analytics will give the Instructors the true comprehension measures that are needed as each activity will be scored based on a 100% scale from incorrect to correct. Any specific weighting would be up to the Instructor/Institution, and some of this can be automated through an LMS integration

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    I realize that CertMaster doesn't present any weighting on its own and know the certification exams provide weighting across domains.

My Institution prescribes weighting for categories and other schools in my experience also provide it. My question was asking the OP if his school prescribed weights or if they were his discretion.

Reactions: Fanuel

Jwehrle

Staff member
    Nov 12, 2019
    I realize that CertMaster doesn't present any weighting on its own and know the certification exams provide weighting across domains.

My Institution prescribes weighting for categories and other schools in my experience also provide it. My question was asking the OP if his school prescribed weights or if they were his discretion.
    Excellent Rick, makes sense now and thanks for the insight!

fischerli

Oct 11, 2019
    Hi there, the way our product is designed "out of the box" there will be no specific weighting as the course itself as a whole does not build up to a 100% grade. This is very subjective based on how you want to weight each activity, but each activity on its own will have a percentage grade (practice questions, PBQs, Final Assessment, etc.). Also, the Final Assessment has around 90 questions, compared to the practice questions (quizzes) within each lesson that contain 8-10 questions each. If you wanted to assign weights to those you could certainly do that. Lastly, if you decide to pursue LMS integration and are using things like the grade passback within your LMS, you can certainly assign those weights to certain activities on your own. Let me know if this helps!
    Interesting, I wasn't planning on Canvas LMI integration due to previous issues with other LTIs.

Reactions: Jwehrle

Jwehrle

Staff member
    Nov 12, 2019
    When I say weighting what I am referencing is the grade weight of a lab vs. assignment vs module exam. Not the domain weights. The grade weights are left up to the instructor and Butte.
    Yep correct, you could certainly weigh out as needed, anything else please don't hesitate to ask!