Teaching Networking Using GNS3

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    We had a great session today, introducing the Instructor Toolbox webinar series! Many thanks to @Lee McWhorter for his walk through of GNS3 and how it can be used as a teaching tool. If you missed the session today you can catch the session on-demand and the resources Lee discussed in the Resources area.

It was a great session (for as much as I could catch, between work in the data center work and being called into various and sundry meetings). I'll go back and have a look at the replay, though.

I thought a squabble was gonna ensue about the entire "can we use Cisco IOS images legally inside GNS3?" question.

/r

Reactions: Lee McWhorter

TechTrainer11

Aug 7, 2019
    It was a great session (for as much as I could catch, between work in the data center work and being called into various and sundry meetings). I'll go back and have a look at the replay, though.

I thought a squabble was gonna ensue about the entire "can we use Cisco IOS images legally inside GNS3?" question.

/r
    Good point about the use of Cisco image use, I think the point is will Cisco allow the use of the images or do you need written permission to use them?

Good point about the use of Cisco image use, I think the point is will Cisco allow the use of the images or do you need written permission to use them?

If I had to call it, Cisco would tell you that they don't want you using their IOS images within GNS3, even if you own the hardware. They'd probably tell you that for training purposes, they'd rather that you use Packet Tracer.

But if you hide in your private lair, close the door, turn out the lights, fire up some IOS images in GNS3 for training and testing purposes, I doubt the secret police is going to beat on your door.

So...let your conscience be your guide.

*turns out the lights and starts typing*

Teckkie2k

Jun 24, 2020
    Atlanta, Ga.
    If I had to call it, Cisco would tell you that they don't want you using their IOS images within GNS3, even if you own the hardware. They'd probably tell you that for training purposes, they'd rather that you use Packet Tracer.

But if you hide in your private lair, close the door, turn out the lights, fire up some IOS images in GNS3 for training and testing purposes, I doubt the secret police is going to beat on your door.

So...let your conscience be your guide.

*turns out the lights and starts typing*
    Hey, it's dark in here... Is the GNS3 working?

• Haha
    Reactions: Lee McWhorter