Teaching Tips

Tom.Schultz

Jul 20, 2020
I'm looking for extra part-time teaching opportunities for a little extra income any suggestions on places to look?
I teach CompTIA cert classes at work usually twice a year for 6 weeks at a time so I'm looking for part-time opportunities.
Also, slide decks: Create my own or use CompTIA templates....assuming there are CompTIA templates available?

Thanks!

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    Hey Tom:

I'm pretty sure you're gonna see some opportunities for teaching pop up before too long. There may be a few if you scroll down the forum a bit, otherwise, hang out - it probably won't be too long.

So, with respect to slide decks, while you can use slide decks from CompTIA approved sources to help build your materials, unless you are a CAPP and get your teaching material from CompTIA, you will want to devise your own slides. Remember that the decks that come in TTT are usually more summarized for instructors, not for first-time learners.

Most third-party publishers will provide their own slide decks to go with their books as well, again, subject to the same kind of licensing constraints.

HTH

/r

SteveM

Sep 16, 2020
    London UK
    Hi all i sometimes use this RAID Calculator when teaching RAID https://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/RAID_calculator. Has anyone one here come across a similar resource i can use during online sessions for PC building ( a PC Building Simulator) that's free?
    I don't know of any PC Build simulator, but I have done labs where you are handed a specific requirement and are required to find and price out components to construct it. For example, a common one I get is the "low-budget gaming computer" - build a gaming computer inside $1000, etc etc.

SteveM

Sep 16, 2020
    London UK
    Hey Rick thanks man, it was for an audience that have never looked inside a PC case, but they want to know how all the components come together. Normally in a classroom i just use one of the old PC's but this time the course is all remote, i figured a free simulator my do a good job. I remember seeing one on Cisco HP IT Essentials years ago

Hey Rick thanks man, it was for an audience that have never looked inside a PC case, but they want to know how all the components come together. Normally in a classroom i just use one of the old PC's but this time the course is all remote, i figured a free simulator my do a good job. I remember seeing one on Cisco HP IT Essentials years ago
    Totally get you there, mate. We had to use nifty training videos to fill in the gaps that we lost with actual hands on when the coronapocalyse began...

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
    the Netherlands
    www.kilala.nl

Jarrel

• Feb 17, 2020
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com
    I don't know of any PC Build simulator, but I have done labs where you are handed a specific requirement and are required to find and price out components to construct it. For example, a common one I get is the "low-budget gaming computer" - build a gaming computer inside $1000, etc etc.
    check this out:

Reactions: Jarrel

Jarrel

• Feb 17, 2020
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com
    Well, now I know. Have you used this in the classroom? /r
    It is actually a computer game, which I used during the lockdown, with remote learning and all, to show how to build PC and consider the price at the same time while building.

In class, I typically ask my students to build PC using actual PC that we have in lab then the students fill up a card/sheet for costing.

Reactions: Joel M

Jarrel

• Feb 17, 2020
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com
    Here's a website that we use for custom PC build, with market price, that the students can check as well.
    Please note that it is an Australian PC store with AU prices.

Reactions: Joel M