Top 15 paying IT certs

Was such a busy summer I missed this when it first came out. Great to see @comptia Network+ and Security+ on this list. Hope to see PenTest+ there soon.

Of interest was Google's cloud certification at the top and PMI's PMP in second place. As to the PMP, it is understandable given the work requirements associated with holding that certification (see my article at http://certmag.com/teaching-project-management-across-disciplines/ ).

There are aspects of the report that I question. For example, the CISSP certification (like the PMP), has specific work requirements that must be proved before the certification is issued. On the other hand the AWS Solutions Architect-Associate certification, which is generally viewed by most as a step above the Cloud Practitioner certification (low-level AWS certification), but not as difficult at the AWS Solutions Architect - Professional exam, showing a higher salary than the CISSP?

Thoughts?

My understanding is they based this not on say starting salaries, but on the average salaries reported by people holding these certs from their annual survey. Like with all stats, have to take things with a grain of salt and in this case I think things get skewed a bit given the mix of certs people hold and how long they have been in industry. The work requirements of some certs are definitely a factor here too as people who get these certs have been in industry longer and likely have higher salaries (on average) already.

Reactions: Walt Jaqua

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    I agree with the perspective. The thought of making $110,321 your first year out after successfully earning the CompTIA Security+ certification just does not happen, typically. The article is showing average salary based on job role and experience. You do not know the demographics of survey respondents. Remember the Network+ and Security+ are certifications that will aid someone in showing their qualifications for a job role. Combined they are even stronger. Having those certs would get you to $110K and higher salaries faster than without. I think the article definitely shows the value of certification.

Earning these certs is not easy! The foundational level certs should be mentioned as progression to high certification and job roles. Check out the article, The CompTIA Cybersecurity Career Pathway (2019 Refresh): Employable Skills Found Here.

Oh, @Lee McWhorter, since CEH is on the list, I would bet we see PenTest+ making it as well on next year's report. :LOL: