Trainer

Jarrel

• Feb 17, 2020
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com
    I reckon that CTT+ is really good to have particularly, for countries and/or institutions where there is no set standard for technical training. Per exam description and I quote, "[CTT+] tests in and out of class teaching expertise, including preparation, facilitation and physical or virtual classroom evaluation". Hence, it is a good certification to have.

However other countries and institutions may also have other requirements instead. For example, in Australia, in order to teach in registered training organizations and TAFEs, a certificate IV in training and assessment is a base requirement and therefore is a must to have. CTT+ would be good to have tho. Whereas, if you teach in non-registered training organizations here in AU, some are more interested in you having the relevant certification (i.e. network+ etc) than CTT+.

If you are currently working as a technical trainer, or considers to be one, you may opt to raise the topic to your manager/supervisor and see if your employer would be nice enough to support you as part of your personal development. 😉

p.s. please be aware that there are 2 streams for CTT+ (1) classroom trainer and (2) virtual classroom trainer.

Nate G

• Aug 12, 2020
    I reckon that CTT+ is really good to have particularly, for countries and/or institutions where there is no set standard for technical training. Per exam description and I quote, "[CTT+] tests in and out of class teaching expertise, including preparation, facilitation and physical or virtual classroom evaluation". Hence, it is a good certification to have.

However other countries and institutions may also have other requirements instead. For example, in Australia, in order to teach in registered training organizations and TAFEs, a certificate IV in training and assessment is a base requirement and therefore is a must to have. CTT+ would be good to have tho. Whereas, if you teach in non-registered training organizations here in AU, some are more interested in you having the relevant certification (i.e. network+ etc) than CTT+.

If you are currently working as a technical trainer, or considers to be one, you may opt to raise the topic to your manager/supervisor and see if your employer would be nice enough to support you as part of your personal development. 😉

p.s. please be aware that there are 2 streams for CTT+ (1) classroom trainer and (2) virtual classroom trainer.
    Thank you for the clarity.

For someone to become a trainer do you think its vital to the have CTT+ certification?

Or is there other avenues to qualify yourself....
    CTT+ is a nice thing, but in my experience, it's not been overly critical a certification for a technical trainer, unless the training company requires it for some reason.

Experience is the best qualifier for an instructor.

/r

Rob F

Nov 7, 2019
    Michigan
    FYI... as Rick points out, some companies require you to be certified by them to teach their courses. I teach Cisco classes, to do this I had to become a Cisco Certified Systems Instructor (CCSI). This requires you to go to Cisco and take a 2 day exam. Day 1 is technical presentations on CCNA material where you are recorded and graded. Day 2 is building and configuring a lab to their specifications and you have 7 hours to complete it. If you pass both sections you can teach CCNA via a Cisco training partner.

Microsoft, I believe, will accept the CTT+ as a base cert and all you have to do is join and pass the exam you want to teach. But I and not a reliable source of info on microsoft :)

Jarrel

• Feb 17, 2020
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com
    Cisco requires you to be a Cisco certified instructor via a Cisco training partner or a Cisco Academy. Each Cisco course has separate training for trainer i.e. routing & switching is different from CySA.

Microsoft has Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) certification. Not really a requirement to teach basic Microsoft courses that are available online, but many organizations and/or clients require it as being an MCT will give you access to Microsoft materials. MCT cert is expensive tho.

Many other vendors also has a trainer certification... i.e. Palo Alto, Splunk, Google, Amazon, etc.

Having said, CTT+ is still really good to have especially, if the client requires it.

MNomadic

Sep 1, 2021
    I was planning on getting CTT+ but I'm actually about to get my teaching license which is more applicable to my industry. I'm not opposed to getting CTT+ though, are there any specific benefits that I should know of? (Besides of course having another lovely cert to add to my wall of certs)

I'll point out that CTT is a two part certification program. The first part being a proctored exam and the second part being a practical; an assessment of your actually teaching a course. Many training programs require one (exam or practical) or the other. Depending on your circumstances being able to create a recording that you can submit for the second portion of the CTT might be difficult. There are online and in-person options for the practical. I know I ran into issues when I asked 2 organizations that I train for in that neither was interested in me recording a class.

Reactions: Nate G