Usage of non inclusive language in SK0-005

I believe it was one of the terms that was replaced on the inclusive terms list.

However - the issue with this particular term is that it's still (and likely to be always) used in the industry and online.
So, I have to tell my students that DMZ = perimeter network = screened subnet (although everywhere online and your coworkers will likely call it DMZ). Of course, I've had to do this since the 1990s since those three terms were equivalent back then too!

Patrick Lane

Staff member
Apr 29, 2020
CompTIA has moved toward inclusive terms, as announced in a blog a couple of years ago. The term DMZ is called a perimeter network. It is important that students know they'll still see the DMZ term in the field, so you will see it mentioned. Here's the blog link:

CompTIA Inclusive Technical Language

Last edited:
Solution
I think, in a lot of ways, the Inclusive Language list is a lot like the CompTIA troubleshooting process. Since each exam is over the course of years in test and development, each exam/set of training materials is bound to have variances in that content, based on how old/new the content is. I seem to remember that DMZ wasn't on the list at the earliest revisions but it is now. So I would say, keep up to date on the current terms, obviously, but I'd also say to not be too, too surprised if a deprecated term shows up someplace.

/r

Jarrel

• Feb 17, 2020
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com
    I would like to know if Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) is an inclusive term to be used in Offficial CompTIA Study materials? I just discovered this in the Official Instructor Study Guide lesson 3, topic 3B page 60.
    screened subnet is the inclusive language used for DMZ

In CompTIA's study material and in Pearson's Sec+ book, DMZ is in the content however, when you look at the sample questions, they use screened subnet instead. On the other hand, Sybex' material still use the term DMZ.

In CompTIA's study material for server+, DMZ is in the content and in the list of terminologies. While it is not specifically stated in exam objectives, DMZ falls under 4.4 > software firewall > zones.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Fanuel
    screened subnet is the inclusive language used for DMZ

In CompTIA's study material and in Pearson's Sec+ book, DMZ is in the content however, when you look at the sample questions, they use screened subnet instead. On the other hand, Sybex' material still use the term DMZ.

In CompTIA's study material for server+, DMZ is in the content and in the list of terminologies. While it is not specifically stated in exam objectives, DMZ falls under 4.4 > software firewall > zones.
    Exactly what I was thinking. As CompTIA updates exams and content, more and more terms keep showing up on the inclusive list (and the troubleshooting steps keep changing). Either way, I think its a more progressive process, rather than a de-facto that applies across the board, instantly.

I believe it was one of the terms that was replaced on the inclusive terms list.

However - the issue with this particular term is that it's still (and likely to be always) used in the industry and online.
    So, I have to tell my students that DMZ = perimeter network = screened subnet (although everywhere online and your coworkers will likely call it DMZ). Of course, I've had to do this since the 1990s since those three terms were equivalent back then too!
    This is something we covered in my A+ train the trainer. I can understand why master/slave is offensive. Replacing that makes perfect sense. I don’t see the offense with DMZ. Do we assume our students did not study military conflicts in high school?

Reactions: jasoneckert
    I believe the term DMZ has fallen into disuse because of its association with the conflict in Viet Nam in the 1960's-70s. The sensitivity towards any negative connotation is trending away from such associations. (Just my opinion.)
    The DMZ mostly now known is the separator between North and South Korea, but yes, there was one in Vietnam when it was a divided state.

I never understood the use of the term DMZ with relating to firewall theory. It never made sense, since the basic idea of a military DMZ was an area where no active military assets were allowed to operate and was not directly under the control of one sovereign state.

In firewall terminology, a screened subnet (formerly a DMZ) generally contains assets that are owned by one organization, with the subnet being under the control of a single entity.

In my mind, this analogy never made much logical sense to me, so I'm glad for this particular change, notwithstanding the inclusive aims of the change.

/r