Use Official CompTIA Resources to Teach Online? (ie Udemy

Shane Walker

Aug 13, 2019
Dallas, TX
Hello CIN!

Currently I teach face-to-face CompTIA A+, Net+ and Security+ for Collin College and other institutions in the Dallas, TX area. We list the official CompTIA book as required for the class and use the slides provided with the CompTIA Instructor edition of the books. (I also plan to build and start using the labs in the CompTIA books as well.) So far I have been impressed with the official CompTIA resources.

In addition to teaching in person, I have been considering the idea of possibly teaching some "online/recorded" classes for Cybrary.it and/or Udemy. I would love to be able to use the Official CompTIA books and resources to teach these classes if it is allowed.

Do any of the other instructors on CIN have experience with this? Can the Official CompTIA instructor materials be used to conduct online courses for sites like Cybrary.it and Udemy without violating CompTIA's copyright, terms of service or anything else applicable?

Thanks in advance!

Shane

I will be interested in CompTIA's response. The concern I'd have is how are you going to control making sure each student purchases the requisite content. I guess that could be effectively controlled if the price for the course is sufficiently high enough where you could establish a process whereas a consequence of enrollment students are sent the necessary licensing code to get the ebook and access to other resources. Maybe the easiest way to go is to have CompTIA, through its own learning management system, simply house the course content, and the instructor through a class management portal, be able to supplement course content with their own author created content.

Reactions: Shane Walker