Veterans Day

Today's Twitter contained an important CompTIA post. As we consider the employment opportunities, particularly as it relates to cybersecurity, many people who have recently separated from military service have a "leg up" with security clearance availability. An area that I think we can help all are students gain another "leg up" is by convincing them to join available organizations (see Article I wrote for Certification Magazine), and obtain certificates for the completion of online FEMA Courses that will enable students to gain knowledge relative to incident command operations.

Steve

Reactions: Lee McWhorter
I've always tried to make this a key component to my students when I was teaching. Certs + Clearance = Profit.

Sadly, a lot of my VA students were less enthusiastic about it - sadly many of them were just there to draw those juicy vet benefits, rather than build a career, whilst using them as a step up.

I just wish there were better ways for civilians to get back in the clearance pool, particularly since about 50% of the market here in Colorado Springs is DoD driven (for now), and they all want that phat clearance.

At least it seems the clearance wait times are falling, to about 74 days for a Secret and 114 days for a Top Secret.

/r