Video Explaining Method for Handling CompTIA Exam

For the CySA+ Academic class I'm teaching this semester, I recorded a presentation I gave today that gives my recommendations on (1) time management, and (2) how to guess intelligently when you have no idea what the answer is. You may want to look at it and potentially share the ideas I present to your students. The class announcement I made is below and provides links to the presentation content.

Steve

Announcement:

Today's presentation that relates specifically to "how to approach the CompTIA CySA+ certification was recorded. You can access the recording by clicking HERE. For those unable to attend, it became necessary to move the Zoom room over to one where I could capture the session by recording it. While viewing the video you will be asked to pause the video for 10 minutes while you take Quiz A. You can download Quiz A and other documents by accessing the PDF version of the PowerPoint slides available by clicking HERE. Another helpful link where I'll update my own progress towards passing the new CySA+ certification is my Blog.

Steve, I watched your video a few weeks ago and it was interesting and helpful. Thank you for posting.

I am preparing for the CySA+ exam. So far my experiences with CompTIA exams have been the usual 90 minutes with a max of 90 questions. Besides the 2 x beta exams had many more questions and longer time periods. With the standard usual format, I would conquer around 70-75 questions, with some marked up for review and then tackle 3-4 PBQs around the 30 minutes to go mark.

With the CySA+ exam, I am seeking more input/tips on timing from fellow CINers. With the 165 minutes and max of 85 questions, where did you feel that the extra time was more needed, for the questions or for the PBQs or both? What was your game plan for conquering the CySA+ (not beta) regarding the extra time allotted?

Thank you in advance for tips etc.

Steve, I watched your video a few weeks ago and it was interesting and helpful. Thank you for posting.

I am preparing for the CySA+ exam. So far my experiences with CompTIA exams have been the usual 90 minutes with a max of 90 questions. Besides the 2 x beta exams had many more questions and longer time periods. With the standard usual format, I would conquer around 70-75 questions, with some marked up for review and then tackle 3-4 PBQs around the 30 minutes to go mark.

With the CySA+ exam, I am seeking more input/tips on timing from fellow CINers. With the 165 minutes and max of 85 questions, where did you feel that the extra time was more needed, for the questions or for the PBQs or both? What was your game plan for conquering the CySA+ (not beta) regarding the extra time allotted?

Thank you in advance for tips etc.
When I took the CySA+ and saw the PBQs I know I panicked a little. I disregarded my standard practice of going over all questions and coming back to the PBQs and instead spent time at the start on two PBQs. One I felt I knew dead to rights. The other was challenging. Coming out of that exam (passed) I did start to rethink my guidance to those that I coach as we all know that one 'size' or standard practice does not fit all.

Reactions: Hod Berman
When I took the CySA+ and saw the PBQs I know I panicked a little. I disregarded my standard practice of going over all questions and coming back to the PBQs and instead spent time at the start on two PBQs. One I felt I knew dead to rights. The other was challenging. Coming out of that exam (passed) I did start to rethink my guidance to those that I coach as we all know that one 'size' or standard practice does not fit all.
Thank you for the response. I tried that once, attempting the PBQs first, was not a good outcome for my question pacing. Since then, I have recommended to my students to knock out the questions first and to never leave any of the PBQs fields blank even if not sure.

Did you feel that the CySA+ PBQs and/or the regular questions needed more time in general and hence the 165 minutes allotted compared to the usual 90 minutes? I see that the PenTest+ also has the same format.

Update: Took the CySA+, and really liked the extra time. I was able to go back through every question, spend more time in general on everything. Passed.

Last edited: