What electronic drawing tablet do CIN members recommend to teach with?

Bob Thompson

Nov 1, 2022
Hello to my fellow CIN Members,

I am looking into purchasing an electronic tablet to enable me to draw for students and/or mark up slides when appropriate using a battery free electronic pen (I surely don't want a battery type of electronic stylus since they only can hold a charge for a finite time frame, etc.). The one I'm looking at purchasing is this one: https://tinyurl.com/56jyhk6f but if any of you can recommend others, I'm all ears.

The one I'm considering purchasing via the above Amazon link is obviously a bit too large for portable use, but that's okay for me, I am willing to buy two, i.e., a larger unit like the above for use when teaching CompTIA courses via Zoom or a smaller portable sized used for use when traveling. I would ideally like to keep my price range for any such devices to be under $600 each.

Any recommendations to the above question would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited:

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    I have an old Huion drawing tablet on my desk that works pretty well - its the one I use for TTT. The pen makes use of a single AAA battery, which I've not had to switch out in some time, but having a stock in my drawer alleviates any concerns of that.

One thing that works well is a tool called Epic Pen. Basically, you can write on screen with a mouse or drawing tablet. From there, screen cast the screen and you've got markup capability, and for far less cost.

You can also do transparent virtual board or whiteboard effects using chroma key effects in OBS.

/r

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
    the Netherlands
    www.kilala.nl
    I've used a Wacom Graphire 4 for going on twenty years now. It's my darling, the only piece of gear I've used with all of my computers since then.

My daughter has a Wacom Intuos BT model (which you can also use wired). Both are great, though I prefer the Graphire (the new Intuos nibs wear down a lot faster).

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
    the Netherlands
    www.kilala.nl
    I mostly use Microsoft Whiteboard on a Surface 2 Go. I know other Trainers use an Ipad.
    Remarkable has not so many Color Options. More of an Meeting Noticeblock..

Michael
    Microsoft Whiteboard is a product that I really love, despite its short comings.

It's clean and relatively easy to use, but it also integrates nicely into MS Teams which I often use for teaching.

Is it great? Absolutely not. I hate the text capabilities... or should I say "lack thereof". But it's my go-to if I need to sketch stuff out during training.

Reactions: Hod Berman

jcrochon

Jan 26, 2021
    Plano, IL
    waubonsee.edu
    Hello to my fellow CIN Members,

I am looking into purchasing an electronic tablet to enable me to draw for students and/or mark up slides when appropriate using a battery free electronic pen (I surely don't want a battery type of electronic stylus since they only can hold a charge for a finite time frame, etc.). The one I'm looking at purchasing is this one: https://tinyurl.com/56jyhk6f but if any of you can recommend others, I'm all ears.

The one I'm considering purchasing via the above Amazon link is obviously a bit too large for portable use, but that's okay for me, I am willing to buy two, i.e., a larger unit like the above for use when teaching CompTIA courses via Zoom or a smaller portable sized used for use when traveling. I would ideally like to keep my price range for any such devices to be under $600 each.

Any recommendations to the above question would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Bob
    Following: I need one also. I have a hard time drawing networks and writing with a mouse.

Jill West

• Sep 13, 2019
    Dalton, GA
    Following: I need one also. I have a hard time drawing networks and writing with a mouse.
    I almost wish we could making drawing tablets required equipment for folks teaching online, maybe even school-provided. So many instructors think they do fine drawing with their mouse, but it's soo painful to watch! ...and so hard to read/interpret.

Abby N Krane

Jan 4, 2022
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I had a Wacom Intous tablet... couldn't get the hang of the scale of writing to save my life. Through practice, I have gotten a lot better at being able to use the various whiteboard functions with just my mouse. Granted, I try to avoid actual writing or drawing. Just circling or lines.

@Rick Butler, I think an instructor toolbox on virtual teaching accessories would be great. Feature things like drawing tablets, sound setups, camera setups including document cameras, online teaching aids (Google Forms, Socrative, etc), and maybe even include which physical items it is helpful to show on camera vs solely pictures of in your lectures. I'm sure there is much more.

Reactions: Fanuel

KGreen

Nov 2, 2021
    I have an old Huion drawing tablet on my desk that works pretty well - its the one I use for TTT. The pen makes use of a single AAA battery, which I've not had to switch out in some time, but having a stock in my drawer alleviates any concerns of that.

One thing that works well is a tool called Epic Pen. Basically, you can write on screen with a mouse or drawing tablet. From there, screen cast the screen and you've got markup capability, and for far less cost.

You can also do transparent virtual board or whiteboard effects using chroma key effects in OBS.

/r
    So you need to flip the image so when you write on the lightboard it's not backwards?