What is the shortest time to teach A+

dlross

• Jun 9, 2023
    Hi everyone,

I was approached by someone who wanted me to teach Core 1 and Core 2 in five days- TOTAL. The classes would be 9 am- 6 pm. I could see if they asked for 5 days each, but five days total? Is this possible to do? What is the recommended time to teach the CompTIA Core 1 and Core 2? I'd like to go back and ask him to provide more time for the training before I accept. Thanks!

DLRoss

Reactions: Femi

jarrelrivera

Aug 15, 2019
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com
    Hi everyone,

I was approached by someone who wanted me to teach Core 1 and Core 2 in five days- TOTAL. The classes would be 9 am- 6 pm. I could see if they asked for 5 days each, but five days total? Is this possible to do? What is the recommended time to teach the CompTIA Core 1 and Core 2? I'd like to go back and ask him to provide more time for the training before I accept. Thanks!

DLRoss

5 days for Core 1 and another 5 days for Core 2 (total of 10 days) would be the minimum amount of time I'd recommend.

You can show them the presentation planner for A+.
    The client might not yet know the amount of information that is covered by course.

dlross

• Jun 9, 2023
    5 days for Core 1 and another 5 days for Core 2 (total of 10 days) would be the minimum amount of time I'd recommend.

You can show them the presentation planner for A+.
    The client might not yet know the amount of information that is covered by course.
    It appears they do. They just seem to want to do every training, no matter what subject, in five days. It's weird. How do you get quality learning done when there's only five days? I'm inclined to say no, but I think the best thing is to emphatically explain that this isn't going to happen unless they spread it over 10 days, minimum.

LynW

• Jun 30, 2020
    It appears they do. They just seem to want to do every training, no matter what subject, in five days. It's weird. How do you get quality learning done when there's only five days? I'm inclined to say no, but I think the best thing is to emphatically explain that this isn't going to happen unless they spread it over 10 days, minimum.
    Honestly, for some programs, the completion of a course meets their objectives. We as instructors and tech professionals recognize the breadth of knowledge and in short programs we cannot provide the depth of knowledge. Whenever possible, educate the stakeholders and determine their metrics for student success. This is the reason for investigations of unaccredited programs last year. https://www.ed.gov/news/press-relea...t-aid-students-enrolled-unaccredited-programs

dlross

• Jun 9, 2023
    Honestly, for some programs, the completion of a course meets their objectives. We as instructors and tech professionals recognize the breadth of knowledge and in short programs we cannot provide the depth of knowledge. Whenever possible, educate the stakeholders and determine their metrics for student success. This is the reason for investigations of unaccredited programs last year. https://www.ed.gov/news/press-relea...t-aid-students-enrolled-unaccredited-programs
    That's kind of nuts.

The place that approached me is a bootcamp, though, not a school. They would most likely just argue back that they are not a higher education institution, and they're not accepting or dispensing financial aid. I think just emphasizing the metrics for success would be the way to go. I'd like to see what metrics they have in place showing the success of students completing the A+ Core 1 and Core 2 in that 5 day span and passed their certifications. If they can't show it, then respectfully, I'll have to back out of teaching that course. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    Can both be done in one week? Yes, if you do lecture only with no labs or demonstrations.

Should both be done in one week? That is a much better question.
    Lemme answer that.

Um... no.

Nope...nope....nopity nope nope...

/r

dlross

• Jun 9, 2023
    Thanks, everyone. I'll just emphasize that if Core 1 and Core 2 is a total of 5 days, then the only thing I really can be expected to do is run through the slides and point out one or two things to focus upon for the exam per slide and take very few questions. That's it!

I feel uneasy about this, but if they just want someone to click through slides and babysit, I'll just make sure they have all their CompTIA slides and just tell them to review their own slides, do as many labs as they can, and point them towards additional study resources and practice question banks they can purchase. :-/

dlross

• Jun 9, 2023
    I think it is possible if they already have IT experience. If they are new to IT, it will be a lot of information for them to absorb. I would probably recommend 30 to 40 hours per core.
    I think 40 hours minimum would be best. I remember when I did A+ and learned it in my bootcamp. They did it over three months. That was a good, comfortable pace. It allowed us to ask questions, complete labs, and do homework. We were always well prepared for class.

dlross

• Jun 9, 2023
    Ok everyone. I'm getting a lot of pushback. They have other instructors that said that CompTIA revamped their courses to provide a week long training where they removed unnecessary material, so one week would be appropriate. Does anyone know anything about this? Or do you know anyone official at CompTIA that can verify or deny this? I think they have lazy instructors that are just reading slides on a screen. That's not me.

Redwaan Maxamed

Aug 25, 2024
    A bit late to this thread but here are my two cents.

Covering both Core 1 and Core 2 in five days (total) is extremely tight and not ideal, especially for beginners. Typically, each core requires about 5-7 days of instruction, with additional time for review and practice. A more reasonable schedule would be 10-14 days total, allowing students to absorb the material and prepare for the exams. I’d recommend asking for at least this amount of time to ensure effective training.

Reactions: dlross

dlross

• Jun 9, 2023
    A bit late to this thread but here are my two cents.

Covering both Core 1 and Core 2 in five days (total) is extremely tight and not ideal, especially for beginners. Typically, each core requires about 5-7 days of instruction, with additional time for review and practice. A more reasonable schedule would be 10-14 days total, allowing students to absorb the material and prepare for the exams. I’d recommend asking for at least this amount of time to ensure effective training.
    Well, they are apparently not going to change the schedule out. I don't see how I'll have more time to do anything more than pick a few things to discuss per slide- like maybe 2 things. And then, I'll have to emphasize there's a significant amount they can get from the CompTIA materials.

Thanks!