With Retirement Losing Certifications

In today's emails I received a bunch of them that were from CompTIA, each saying the same thing but identifying different certifications I hold:

Dear Steven Linthicum,

This is a friendly reminder that your CompTIA CySA+ ce certification will expire on Apr 21, 2026. While that is still a couple years away, it is important to think about how you might renew your certification so that you have ample time to prepare.

(ISC)2 has what they call "emeritus" status. I paid $375 and I keep the CISSP cert but you must be "retired".

dlross

• Jun 9, 2023
    In today's emails I received a bunch of them that were from CompTIA, each saying the same thing but identifying different certifications I hold:

Dear Steven Linthicum,

This is a friendly reminder that your CompTIA CySA+ ce certification will expire on Apr 21, 2026. While that is still a couple years away, it is important to think about how you might renew your certification so that you have ample time to prepare.

(ISC)2 has what they call "emeritus" status. I paid $375 and I keep the CISSP cert but you must be "retired".
    But I thought you had different options to renew for CompTIA? So you can either identify continuing education opportunities, hit the number of credits you need to renew your cert, pay the fee, and you're good to go. Or, you could do a beta test, which is cheaper, and if you pass, you get to renew. Or, you can dp the certmaster labs for that certification and pay the fee to recertify, or you could do the certification above that, which would automatically review all the certifications in that pathway that fall under it.

I thought those were different ways. I don't know a ton about ISC2, but I thought we had to maintain the yearly fees and the continuing ed in order to maintain certifications obtained through ISC2. But I'm newer to both organizations, so I'm not sure. I'd be interested to hear what other people know about renewing.

Thoughts?

DRoss

Good question.
    I am aware of Cisco emeritus, but I haven't thought of CompTIA Emeritus.

I'm following this thread.
    I wouldn't want to see that. Basically it's a "I used to hold a certification, but got too old to care about renewing".

When I retire from IT, which won't be all that long, I won't care if my certs expire or not. They only matter if I'm in the industry.

if you still need the Certs for Business, you are not retired. And if you are retired, you should not need that Cert to prove anything.
    What makes sense, when for some reason, you need to "pause" your cert, without losing it complety and then reactivate it easier.
    That offer some also.
    But for CompTIA, you just pass the Exam again and you are good..