1001 and 1002 Retirement

Simon Freedman

Oct 14, 2020
Once again I feel we're being done over here.
I have just got my key for my 1101 and 1102 Instructor manuals.
I am running 1001 this week and we've just been talking about the exams. I have just seen that the 1000 series will be retired in October 2022, giving anyone currently studying it only 6 months to complete both courses and both exams.
Why such a short time? If they fail an exam there will be limited time to resit it. They can't get time off work to attend courses at the best of times and now they've got to cram both into 6 months???
Net+ was updated in Sept 21. That exam retires June 30th 2022, 9 months later so why is A+ different?

Reactions: Muhammad khan
If they haven't taken either exam, they can take the new 1101 and 1102 instead. I've been certified in five different versions of A+ and most of the foundational material is the same, version after version. Specifications change. New standards are adopted. New technologies are developed. But a large amount of content carries from one version to the next.

If they've passed one exam, October is still six months away. That is more than enough time to pass the other. I've seen people pass both in a month if they had some prior experience.

Once again I feel we're being done over here.
I have just got my key for my 1101 and 1102 Instructor manuals.
I am running 1001 this week and we've just been talking about the exams. I have just seen that the 1000 series will be retired in October 2022, giving anyone currently studying it only 6 months to complete both courses and both exams.
Why such a short time? If they fail an exam there will be limited time to resit it. They can't get time off work to attend courses at the best of times and now they've got to cram both into 6 months???
Net+ was updated in Sept 21. That exam retires June 30th 2022, 9 months later so why is A+ different?
Well, version 10 of the A+ has been around for three years now and CompTIA even extended it to October, if I recall, so nearly four. The timetable for v11 was released at Partner Summit last year and CompTIA usually sunsets a cert with a six month window for the new exam, so folks can finish up what they were doing. CIN has been talking about it for a while now.

I can't explain about Network+ except that the pandemic did upset the time tables for everything that CompTIA was doing., for example Server+ was held back a year. CASP+ is in concurrency from 003 to 004. I think Cloud+ is too. But CompTIA, as I can tell, is coming back to it's normal time table.

The way I see it, take your v10 materials with the v11 manuals, and study up for v11. The only way I see this as a critical issue in timing is if you have taken one test in v10 and are running out of time to take the other (both must be the same version).

As for your students, just tell them to start prepping for v11 - get them the objectives and just work through the differences between domains.

Alan Stubblefield is doing a great job in drawing attention to those domain deltas during the TTT series.

Is there something I'm missing?

/r