Academic Integrity Policy?

The following is directly from the syllabus in one of the courses I'm teaching this Spring and is a non-optional required section in the course syllabus:

Academic Honesty Policy
You should be familiar with the Academic Honesty Policy at Santa Ana College.

Introduction
Students at Santa Ana College are expected to be honest and forthright in their academic endeavors. To falsify the results of one’s research, to steal the words or ideas of another, or to cheat on an examination, corrupts the essential process by which knowledge is advanced. Academic dishonesty is seen as an intentional act of fraud, in which a student seeks to claim credit for the work or efforts of another without authorization or uses unauthorized materials or fabricated information in any academic exercise. As institutions, we also consider academic dishonesty to include forgery of academic documents, intentionally impeding or damaging the academic work of others, assisting other students in acts of dishonesty or coercing students into acts of dishonesty.

Procedures
In cases where a violation of academic honesty is discovered, the faculty member is encouraged to file an “Academic Misconduct Incident Report” form and distribute the form to the appropriate offices listed.There are two categories of sanctions: Limited and College-wide. Limited sanctions include an academic action such as assigning a lower grade or a grade of “F” for the assignment, project, or test. College-wide sanctions include any sanction that will affect a student’s standing with the college-at-large, up to and including suspension or expulsion from the College. For further information, please refer to the SAC Catalog. Academic dishonesty, or cheating, is defined as an intentional act of fraud in which a student seeks to claim credit for the work or efforts of another without authorization. This includes assisting other students in acts of dishonesty or coercing students into acts of dishonesty, whether it is in coursework or on exams. There is absolutely NO tolerance for cheating in this class. Any student caught cheating or assisting another student in the act of cheating, will receive a zero score for the assignment or quiz and will be reported to the college/district.
  • Working with another student on an assignment or quiz meant for individual completion is considered an act of dishonesty.
  • Files may not be shared. Your work needs to be your own.
  • Using another student’s thoughts from the discussion board as your own is considered an act of dishonesty. Your work and thoughts must be your own.
  • If you have any questions regarding this policy or application of this policy, please let the instructor know.

If I had it my way, there'd be some language like this:

If we catch you, we will print your paper, have the faculty all laugh at it and you for how obvious the plagiarism was (with the plethora of term-paper checkers out there), followed by espresso and biscotti as we burn each page while you are made to watch.

Then we enter an "F" in the gradebook, with a song by Elmo on how winners never cheat, and see if that prompts the student to dis-enroll with the same emphasis as Louis Gossett Jr's portrayal of Gunnery Sergeant Emil Foley in An Officer and a Gentleman as he says, "D...O...R....that's Drop On Request."

I'm in a mood today, I think.

Meanwhile, Dan, I like your style...

/r

• Haha
Reactions: Jarrel