Adaptive exams?

Are any of the current CompTIA exams adaptive exams? I know that a long time ago, CompTIA had some adaptive exams that would adjust the questioning based on a test-taker's responses. That was dropped in favor of a linear exam. I heard someone say that CompTIA has adaptive exams.

Can I get clarification on this? Are any of the current CompTIA exams adaptive? Are there plans for upcoming exams to be adaptive exams?

Reactions: Joel M
Ditto what Rick said - I don't think I remember any adaptive CompTIA exams (just Microsoft, and they stopped doing those in the 2010s).
I believe the idea Microsoft had behind adaptive testing was to reduce the "paper MCSEs" back then (their exams questions were very easy and only required simple concept memorization - so there were a lot of braindumps of them online that people would use to pass them). After they ditched adaptive testing, they made their questions a lot tougher and longer.

Last edited:
Are any of the current CompTIA exams adaptive exams? I know that a long time ago, CompTIA had some adaptive exams that would adjust the questioning based on a test-taker's responses. That was dropped in favor of a linear exam. I heard someone say that CompTIA has adaptive exams.

Can I get clarification on this? Are any of the current CompTIA exams adaptive? Are there plans for upcoming exams to be adaptive exams?
Most of the Cisco certification exams are adaptive. None from CompTIA as far I have observed.

I remember when I took my first Microsoft training classes in 2001 I was told that the exams had been adaptive, but they did away with that pretty quickly. I remember that when they first tried to do the interactive exams (with hands-on simulation questions) they discussed with us the possibility of bringing it back, but I do not think anything ever came of it.

Michael Schmitz

Aug 9, 2021
Germany
www.linkedin.com
I've heard the CISSP is adaptive now. People were complaining about how long it took to complete the exam.
Cissp ist between 100 (min ) and 150 (max) Questions in 6h, with a break after 3h. But their is no Time Limit so far..
After 100 in can be finish anytime.
Thats what is see during Traing Courses, when they take their Exam on Saturday and tell me.

MIchael

Cissp ist between 100 (min ) and 150 (max) Questions in 6h, with a break after 3h. But their is no Time Limit so far..
After 100 in can be finish anytime.
Thats what is see during Traing Courses, when they take their Exam on Saturday and tell me.

MIchael
If you take the CISSP exam in English it is adaptive, 125-175 questions in 4 hours.
If you take the CISSP exam in a language other than English, it is linear, 250 question in 6 hours.

Taken straight from the horse's mouth: https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/cissp/Certification-Exam-Outline

Michael Schmitz

Aug 9, 2021
Germany
www.linkedin.com
If you take the CISSP exam in English it is adaptive, 125-175 questions in 4 hours.
If you take the CISSP exam in a language other than English, it is linear, 250 question in 6 hours.

Taken straight from the horse's mouth: https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/cissp/Certification-Exam-Outline
sorry that i did not check it. That was told to me in the previous years in the Training Center. Seems most take then the Engl. Version of the Exam.. What i would do.

sorry that i did not check it. That was told to me in the previous years in the Training Center. Seems most take then the Engl. Version of the Exam.. What i would do.
All good. I only thought to check because I myself had recently been burned with their exam info. I was mentoring some students towards the SSCP and in the middle of the semester, (ISC)2 changed the SSCP exam from a linear 125 question/3 hours exam to a linear 150 question/4 hour exam...