Cert expiration extended?

Jill West

• Sep 13, 2019
    Dalton, GA
    I passed my Security+ last week (got it done the last day before the voucher expired!), and, as expected, received the emails that my A+, Net+, and Sec+ certifications were all renewed. The interesting thing is that all three gave an expiration date in 2027, which is 5 years instead of the usual 3. Has the cert validity time frame been extended? Typically, it's only 3 years, and the website still says 3 years as well. I retake the exams with every iteration anyway, but I'd love to know if the time frame is shifting.

aleibl

• Nov 7, 2019
    I wonder if it adds to the time you have left on the other exams that you get renewed? Did the same thing with me when I did Cloud+.

/r
    Hmm, that would match (almost to the day) what happened when I sat the CySA+ again last year, it put about 1 year 2 months extra on which is how much time I had left on the old 3 year cycle. Interesting!

Reactions: Mallia

aleibl

• Nov 7, 2019
    Hmm, that would match (almost to the day) what happened when I sat the CySA+ again last year, it put about 1 year 2 months extra on which is how much time I had left on the old 3 year cycle. Interesting!
    However, when I sat and passed the Security+ this January nothing happened, no renewal. I'm not complaining because the CySA+ renewal moved the date to July 2025, more thank 3 years in the future, but still a bit odd.

Jill West

• Sep 13, 2019
    Dalton, GA
    However, when I sat and passed the Security+ this January nothing happened, no renewal. I'm not complaining because the CySA+ renewal moved the date to July 2025, more thank 3 years in the future, but still a bit odd.
    Interesting. I passed CySA+ last summer, too, and I don't remember there being anything unusual about the dates. I'll have to go back and look.

Jill West

• Sep 13, 2019
    Dalton, GA
    I wonder if it adds to the time you have left on the other exams that you get renewed? Did the same thing with me when I did Cloud+.

/r
    I don't remember that being the case for any other exams I've taken, though. Maybe I just didn't notice? I'll check them later to see. If you time it well, you could get certified a decade or more into the future, if that's the case, lol!

Patrick Asamago

Oct 2, 2021
    I passed my Security+ last week (got it done the last day before the voucher expired!), and, as expected, received the emails that my A+, Net+, and Sec+ certifications were all renewed. The interesting thing is that all three gave an expiration date in 2027, which is 5 years instead of the usual 3. Has the cert validity time frame been extended? Typically, it's only 3 years, and the website still says 3 years as well. I retake the exams with every iteration anyway, but I'd love to know if the time frame is shifting.
    Congratulation on passing Security+ exam.

Esther S. Stepansky

• Mar 14, 2020
    Congrats Jill I also passed mine the last week despite trying hard to take it a month ago.

SEC+ should roll the A+ & N+ to the SAME expiration date as the Sec+ so all will expire at once.
    That should be 3 years from the day you passed the Sec+. If it added more, check back later & see if it updated correctly.

SEC+ won't do anything for a higher level cert like CySA+, Pentest+ or CASP+.which is why none of those changed.
    You'll have to either pass those again or just add up various CPEs to renew the higher ones.

You can see what will renew what in the CPE program explanations.

Jill West

• Sep 13, 2019
    Dalton, GA
    Congrats Jill I also passed mine the last week despite trying hard to take it a month ago.

SEC+ should roll the A+ & N+ to the SAME expiration date as the Sec+ so all will expire at once.
    That should be 3 years from the day you passed the Sec+. If it added more, check back later & see if it updated correctly.

SEC+ won't do anything for a higher level cert like CySA+, Pentest+ or CASP+.which is why none of those changed.
    You'll have to either pass those again or just add up various CPEs to renew the higher ones.

You can see what will renew what in the CPE program explanations.
    Yes, I knew it wouldn't renew higher level certs. But it's still showing my new expiration date for A+/Net+/Sec+ as Aug 2027 (5 yrs, 4 mos after I passed the Sec+ exam last week). I've been renewing CompTIA certs for many years--always by retaking the exams so I know what's on the exams compared to what's on the objectives. I just don't recall an exam pass bumping my expiration so far into the future. Looks like the Cloud+ bumped a bit more than 3 years as well, but I assume that's because I took the Cloud+ beta.