• We will be shutting down for a brief period of time on 9/24 at around 8 AM CST to perform necessary software updates and maintenance; please plan accordingly!

CEU's for other certifications earned

Jose A Ruiz Marquez

• Dec 30, 2023
    Puerto Rico
    I don't know if anybody has ever thought of this. When we certify, CompTIA has certain paths and order of certifications that allows you to cover a whole set of certifications if you take an upper level exam. Like for example: you have A+, Network+ and Security+, you pass CySA+and all three certs are renewed. Cool. But not everyone do the certs in order and (please correct me if I'm wrong) CompTIA doesn't give you the chance of earning CEU's for other certs taken.

I have A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, CySA+, Pentest+ and CASP+..... We all know that CASP+ renews all the previous certs. What I find strange is that I took Linux+ and I can't get CEU's to apply to CASP+. The next cert I'm studying for is Cloud+ and it's the same deal. If we look at those 2 certs and how they can enhance my skill set as a CASP+ I can think of:
    • Comprehensive Security Architecture: Both Cloud+ and Linux+ provide practical skills for designing, implementing, and managing secure environments across on-premises, cloud, and hybrid setups, directly supporting CASP+'s focus on enterprise security.
    • Improved Risk Management: The combined knowledge from these certifications equips a CASP+ professional with a holistic view of potential risks in cloud and Linux environments, enabling more effective risk assessment and mitigation strategies.
    • Enhanced Incident Response and Automation: Proficiency in Linux and cloud automation tools enables the creation of efficient incident response mechanisms, aligning with CASP+'s emphasis on response strategies and automation to enhance security operations.
    • Interoperability and Integration: Mastery of cloud and Linux systems supports CASP+ professionals in integrating various security solutions, ensuring interoperability while maintaining a strong security posture.
    So, why doesn't CompTIA give us CEU's no matter in what order you take the certifications? In the end every test we take enhances our knowledge base. If you just have CASP+ we all know that CySA+, Linux+, etc will help us to be better prepared. I'm not talking about 50 CEU's here, I think 15-25 CEU's depending on the cert will be more than fair. Like for example, you are a CASP+ and pass Network+ or Security+ you get 15 CEU's each, you are a CASP+ and pass CySA+ or Cloud+ you get 25 CEU's each.

Any thoughts?

precious

Apr 22, 2024
    I don't know if anybody has ever thought of this. When we certify, CompTIA has certain paths and order of certifications that allows you to cover a whole set of certifications if you take an upper level exam. Like for example: you have A+, Network+ and Security+, you pass CySA+and all three certs are renewed. Cool. But not everyone do the certs in order and (please correct me if I'm wrong) CompTIA doesn't give you the chance of earning CEU's for other certs taken.

I have A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, CySA+, Pentest+ and CASP+..... We all know that CASP+ renews all the previous certs. What I find strange is that I took Linux+ and I can't get CEU's to apply to CASP+. The next cert I'm studying for is Cloud+ and it's the same deal. If we look at those 2 certs and how they can enhance my skill set as a CASP+ I can think of:
    • Comprehensive Security Architecture: Both Cloud+ and Linux+ provide practical skills for designing, implementing, and managing secure environments across on-premises, cloud, and hybrid setups, directly supporting CASP+'s focus on enterprise security.
    • Improved Risk Management: The combined knowledge from these certifications equips a CASP+ professional with a holistic view of potential risks in cloud and Linux environments, enabling more effective risk assessment and mitigation strategies.
    • Enhanced Incident Response and Automation: Proficiency in Linux and cloud automation tools enables the creation of efficient incident response mechanisms, aligning with CASP+'s emphasis on response strategies and automation to enhance security operations.
    • Interoperability and Integration: Mastery of cloud and Linux systems supports CASP+ professionals in integrating various security solutions, ensuring interoperability while maintaining a strong security posture.
    So, why doesn't CompTIA give us CEU's no matter in what order you take the certifications? In the end every test we take enhances our knowledge base. If you just have CASP+ we all know that CySA+, Linux+, etc will help us to be better prepared. I'm not talking about 50 CEU's here, I think 15-25 CEU's depending on the cert will be more than fair. Like for example, you are a CASP+ and pass Network+ or Security+ you get 15 CEU's each, you are a CASP+ and pass CySA+ or Cloud+ you get 25 CEU's each.

Any thoughts?
    You've raised a very interesting point about CompTIA’s CEU (Continuing Education Unit) system. The way they currently structure renewals and CEUs doesn't fully account for the cumulative knowledge and advanced skills gained by taking certifications out of order or beyond what renews the baseline certifications.

Your perspective on how certifications like Linux+ and Cloud+ enhance the skills of a CASP+ holder is spot on. These certifications do provide practical, in-depth knowledge that directly applies to the broader enterprise security and architecture focus of CASP+. Incorporating those skills helps a CASP+ professional better manage risks, enhance incident response, and design secure systems in various environments, including cloud and on-premises infrastructures.

However, the current CEU system seems designed around the idea that higher-level certs automatically encompass the knowledge of lower-level certs, which is why CASP+ renews all previous certifications. But for certifications like Linux+ and Cloud+, CompTIA doesn't seem to recognize them as direct renewals for CASP+ or other higher-level certifications, despite their relevance.

Your suggestion of offering partial CEUs for other relevant certifications makes sense. Allowing 15-25 CEUs for passing additional certs like CySA+, Linux+, or Cloud+ would encourage broader learning while giving professionals like yourself credit for expanding your expertise in ways that directly benefit your role as a CASP+ certified individual.

It might be worth providing this feedback directly to CompTIA. Given the evolution of roles in IT, cybersecurity, and cloud environments, they might see value in revisiting their CEU structure to recognize these certifications' real-world relevance and the additional expertise they bring.

Do you feel that this CEU adjustment would also help in motivating people to pursue more specialized certs without the constraint of order?

Jose A Ruiz Marquez

• Dec 30, 2023
    Puerto Rico
    Do you feel that this CEU adjustment would also help in motivating people to pursue more specialized certs without the constraint of order?
    I certainly do, IT doesn't have a cut and dry path. You can start with Network+ and then move to Linux+ because your job requires it. Then you decide to move into a managerial area and get Project+ and end up with CASP+. Years go by and you decide to become a SOC analyst and Security+ and CySA+ become an interesting and needed choice, but Boom, they don't count as CEU's. Everything nurtures everything, this certs are not exclusive or isolated from one another. In my case I went A+, Network+, Server+, Security+ (all lifetime), but then moved into CySA+, Pentest+ and CASP+, finally I took Linux+. Linux skills are required for a person that perform duties associated with all certs mentioned! And you tell me I don't get CEU's?. You are making me spend too much money to maintain my status as CASP+ plus I have to deal with Linux+ too. Yes, Cloud+ re certifies Linux+ but in the end I think this needs to be reviewed. We should get CEU's no matter the order of certs, then once we reach CASP+ we need to work only for CASP+ and that applies all the way down with no exceptions on tests. This is more logical and people won't go for certs thinking of a specific order, they get them based on job requirements.

Last edited:
    Reactions: precious

precious

Apr 22, 2024
    You're absolutely right that the career paths in IT are highly dynamic and personalized based on job requirements. It’s not a one-size-fits-all journey where certifications are taken in a linear order. You’ve outlined a great case for why CompTIA should revisit how they handle CEUs, especially for professionals like yourself who accumulate knowledge from various certifications to meet real-world demands.

Your point about certifications nurturing each other is key. The knowledge gained from each cert builds a more well-rounded professional, and none of these certs should be seen in isolation. It's clear that IT professionals are often required to adapt, whether by diving into Linux for server management, moving into cloud security, or shifting into managerial or specialized SOC roles. In this ever-changing environment, it’s more logical for the CEU system to reflect how professionals naturally gain and apply their skills, rather than forcing them to stick to a rigid certification path.

By having a flexible CEU system that applies to all relevant certifications, regardless of the order, professionals wouldn’t have to focus solely on "what cert renews what" but on "what cert enhances my skills the most." This approach would also alleviate the financial and time burden of maintaining multiple certifications separately.

Your feedback could inspire meaningful change in the industry if it gains enough attention from certification bodies like CompTIA.
    I certainly do, IT doesn't have a cut and dry path. You can start with Network+ and then move to Linux+ because your job requires it. Then you decide to move into a managerial area and get Project+ and end up with CASP+. Years go by and you decide to become a SOC analyst and Security+ and CySA+ become an interesting, but Boom, they don't count as CEU's. Everything nurtures everything, this certs are not exclusive or isolated from one another. In my case I went A+, Network+, Server+, Security+ (all lifetime), but then moved into CySA+, Pentest+ and CASP+, finally I took Linux+. Linux skills are required for a person that perform duties associate with all certs mentioned! And you tell me I don't get CEU's?. You are making me spend too much money to maintain my status as CASP+ plus I have to deal with Linux+ too. Yes, Cloud+ re certifies Linux+ but in the end I think this needs to be reviewed. We should get CEU's no matter the order of certs, then once we reach CASP+ we need to work only for CASP+ and that applies all the way down with no exceptions on tests. This is more logical and people won't go for certs thinking of a specific order, they get them based on job requirements.
    You're absolutely right that the career paths in IT are highly dynamic and personalized based on job requirements. It’s not a one-size-fits-all journey where certifications are taken in a linear order. You’ve outlined a great case for why CompTIA should revisit how they handle CEUs, especially for professionals like yourself who accumulate knowledge from various certifications to meet real-world demands.

Your point about certifications nurturing each other is key. The knowledge gained from each cert builds a more well-rounded professional, and none of these certs should be seen in isolation. It's clear that IT professionals are often required to adapt, whether by diving into Linux for server management, moving into cloud security, or shifting into managerial or specialized SOC roles. In this ever-changing environment, it’s more logical for the CEU system to reflect how professionals naturally gain and apply their skills, rather than forcing them to stick to a rigid certification path.

By having a flexible CEU system that applies to all relevant certifications, regardless of the order, professionals wouldn’t have to focus solely on "what cert renews what" but on "what cert enhances my skills the most." This approach would also alleviate the financial and time burden of maintaining multiple certifications separately.

Your feedback could inspire meaningful change in the industry if it gains enough attention from CompTIA.

Jose A Ruiz Marquez

• Dec 30, 2023
    Puerto Rico
    Yes, and like I said, it doesn't have to be a ton of CEU's, core certs 15 CEU's, specialization like Cloud, Linux, Server, CySA, Pentest 25 CEU's, they should start somewhere and then add Data+ and DataSys+ in the end we all need to manage data theses days, not only logs and scripts. We need to know how to query a DB, clean raw data etc.... Again, everything is integrated and there is no way you can unlink these certs, knowledge and the skills they measure.

Jose A Ruiz Marquez

• Dec 30, 2023
    Puerto Rico
    You said it perfectly! You move where your professional journey naturally takes you, not towards a 1 2 3 4 5 6 scheme designed to cost you more money if you deviate from it, or more money because in order to get the cert you actually need you have to get another one that right now does not apply to your current role or real experience so you don't loose the chance to get re certified by the higher cert. This makes the process a mere game and fosters the "get certs without real experience or need" syndrome......

Yes, and like I said, it doesn't have to be a ton of CEU's, core certs 15 CEU's, specialization like Cloud, Linux, Server, CySA, Pentest 25 CEU's, they should start somewhere and then add Data+ and DataSys+ in the end we all need to manage data theses days, not only logs and scripts. We need to know how to query a DB, clean raw data etc.... Again, everything is integrated and there is no way you can unlink these certs, knowledge and the skills they measure.
    Jose is raising excellent points here. Thanks. Even though I work part time for CompTIA I'm not in a position to speak for the program managers or leadership. I will say that I know program manager and leadership work with many external stakeholders like different government and commercial regulators as well as many companies that employ certified individuals. I continue to be impressed with how they are working with these stake holders and trying to shape the CompTIA offerings to meet or exceed their requirements. CompTIA recognizes just about every other established certification program when it comes to CEUs and renewals. It would seem easy for CompTIA to acknowledge CEUs for their own programs. I see CompTIA not granting credit for other CompTIA programs as an example of how far they go to meet these stakeholder requirements.

I believe what we are are seeing right now is amazing when some enlightened employers recognize count on specialized certification programs (like those from CompTIA) as opposed to requiring hire candidates possess credentials from a traditional higher education degree programs.

Jose A Ruiz Marquez

• Dec 30, 2023
    Puerto Rico
    It would seem easy for CompTIA to acknowledge CEUs for their own programs. I see CompTIA not granting credit for other CompTIA programs as an example of how far they go to meet these stakeholder requirements.
    I think in the end it may harm us as candidates. I get certified because my employer has an agreement with CompTIA for Cert Master / Test Out / Vouchers. Not everyone has this opportunity. But if this ends the only cert that I will renew will be CASP / Security X and will loose Cloud and Linux even though I use Linux every day because it will be too much money. I think they should do like ISACA where every cert renews every cert no matter the order. Or come up with an order that is fully ascending and once you reach the top cert in any order that top cert will renew every other cert below, like Project+, Data+, A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Cloud+, Pentest+, CySA+, and then CASP+.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Brian Ford
    I think in the end it may harm us as candidates. I get certified because my employer has an agreement with CompTIA for Cert Master / Test Out / Vouchers. Not everyone has this opportunity. But if this ends the only cert that I will renew will be CASP / Security X and will loose Cloud and Linux even though I use Linux every day because it will be too much money. I think they should do like ISACA where every cert renews every cert no matter the order. That is working for the people, not the stakeholders. In the end we are the ones who get certified, not them....
    I appreciate your view but SecurityX is an advanced cybersecurity certification. Cloud+ and a future CloudX are focused on cloud technologies and only cover a small portion of the cybersecurity objectives. Linux+ has that similar small overlaps.

I ran into this issue years ago when I held the Cisco CCIE certification. It required a tremendous amount of work, months of study and prep, and a multi day practical lab exam. I renewed that 3 times (covering 9 years). When my career moved away from networking and towards cybersecurity I had a choice. Pursue CISSP, CISM, CompTIA certs (and Cisco security specialties) or maintain CCIE. I chose to allow my CCIE to lapse.

I appreciate your view but SecurityX is an advanced cybersecurity certification. Cloud+ and a future CloudX are focused on cloud technologies and only cover a small portion of the cybersecurity objectives. Linux+ has that similar small overlaps.
    Exactly, that's why I think CompTIA should give partial CEU's 15-20 per cert towards your top cert, because they are not 100% aligned but also, they are not 100% unrelated