CompTIA On-Premises Server Certification

I know CompTIA has the Server+ but how about they come up with a CompTIA On-Premises Server OS plus?
Basically a Microsoft based certification for on-premises servers.
Well, I think the issue with that starts getting into their Vendor neutrality position. CompTIA isn't going to really get into MSFT technologies - instead, deferring to MSFT to certify people on MSFT technology. Server+ is going to just focus on the hardware side anyway. And the way I would see it, I'd rather have MSFT certify me on MSFT stuff.

A couple weeks ago, I dropped a post that went into some of that. I think in this case, you'll want to take the Windows Server Hybrid Administrator cert (AZ-800/801) which covers both on-prem and Azure stuff.

HTH

/r

Jarrel

• Feb 17, 2020
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com

Michael Schmitz

Aug 9, 2021
    Germany
    www.linkedin.com
    Why? Hardware On Prem Server seem a Road with an End for Microsoft.
    Only when you connect together with Cloud.
    And there is so much Stuff in WS, that can`t be covered in a Non Microsoft Exam.
    And if you need an OS: Then Linux+ is one Way.
    Also a lot of Microsoft Knowledge is in A+ Core 2...

Short: Is there a Market for that Cert? No. So there i no Business Case for such a thing.

Michael

I think there will be a discrete market for MSFT servers for the unforeseeable future. While the cloud is magical, there are organizations that are simply unwilling or unable to use it, leaving them to go to on-prem servers, running either Linux or Windows. MSFT would even say so, given they have the Hybrid Server Admin cert that released this year, patching the hole from the shutdown of MCSE/MCP exams.

As more services move to the cloud, I wouldn't be surprised if Server+ eventually gets retired. It won't be any time soon, but I wouldn't be shocked if it did.
    It was on the ropes, before. I think there is some utility in a server based certification, since the Cloud is, essentially, built from server farms, although the concept of single servers is giving way to clustered hardware that's scalable to build proper cloud AZ's.