CompTIA Xpert series certifications 2024

Matthew Browne

• May 14, 2021
    Ireland
    www.focus-it.ie

CompTIA reveals roadmap for Xpert Series product family​

Jul 31, 2023

New expert-level certifications, learning products and training curricula planned for 2024
    DOWNERS GROVE, Ill. – CompTIA, the world’s leading certifying body in information technology (IT), announced today it is developing a new series of expert-level certifications and learning products in data, cybersecurity and cloud networking.​
    The CompTIA Xpert Series certifications are scheduled for release throughout 2024. The certifications are intended for IT professionals with multiple years of work experience who are interested in validating their expert-level knowledge of business-critical technologies.
    “Each certification exam will validate deep expertise in job roles recognized as being at the expert level,” said Thomas Reilly, chief product officer, CompTIA. “Beyond validating technical skills, IT pros who earn a CompTIA Xpert Series certification will have demonstrated their ability to understand, implement and articulate advanced technology solutions in any business environment.”
    The CompTIA Xpert Series will debut with three certifications.
    CompTIA DataX, an advanced-level data science credential.

CompTIA CloudNetX, intended for advanced network and systems architects who design and manage complex, hybrid IT infrastructures.

CompTIA SecurityX, the next iteration of the current CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP+), aimed at security architects, senior security engineers and others responsible for an organization’s cybersecurity readiness.
    “The first set of Xpert Series certifications will establish a foundation for a broader expansion into expert-level credentials and learning,” Reilly said. “This may include additional CompTIA certifications, CompTIA training for credentials issued by other organizations or training on expert-level skills that may not be associated with a specific certification.”
    Two IT professionals who are participating in the certification development process as subject matter experts believe the CompTIA Xpert Series will be welcomed by the IT community, especially among mid-level and advanced level professionals.
    "The Xpert Series exams are a great addition to CompTIA's portfolio,” said Alex Cher, who has worked in IT and cybersecurity since 2006. “CompTIA has an advanced-level certification in cybersecurity, so it makes sense to create similar, advanced exams for infrastructure and other certification categories. The Xpert Series will perfectly fill that void."
    “Ongoing career professional development by gaining new skills and experiences is vital to anyone working in IT,” said Riaz Khimji, who heads the IT Support Staff Services and Business Relationship Management Collegiate IT, at the University of Oxford. “Individuals can be even more successful in their current role and gain further knowledge in other areas of interest as they progress in their careers. Certifications such as those offered by CompTIA allow them to validate their newly acquired skills.”
    CompTIA is also developing learning resources and training curricula aligned with the Xpert Series certifications. Learn more at https://www.comptia.org/certifications/xpert-series.

I'm happy that CASP+ will simply be rebranded into SecurityX, instead of introducing another certificate

I look forward to CloudNetx
    Rebranding an existing cert is risky at best. IT Project+ was rebranded Project+ to make it more inclusive of non-IT projects. CSA+ was rebranded CySA+, although I'm not sure why. I honestly don't see the value of rebranding CASP+ as SecurityX. And how will CloudNetX be that much different from Cloud+? How will DataX be significantly different from the existing Data+, DataSys+, and DataSci+?

Andrew H

Aug 7, 2019
    Lewiston, ME
    www.cmcc.edu
    Rebranding an existing cert is risky at best. IT Project+ was rebranded Project+ to make it more inclusive of non-IT projects. CSA+ was rebranded CySA+, although I'm not sure why. I honestly don't see the value of rebranding CASP+ as SecurityX. And how will CloudNetX be that much different from Cloud+? How will DataX be significantly different from the existing Data+, DataSys+, and DataSci+?
    Note: I do not work for CompTIA, so all views and options expressed are my own and my own alone. I do not know what I am talking about.

CSA was already trademarked by a different organization that's why it was rebranded. CASP is "CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner" so rebreanding "SecurityX" makes it a more enticing name and removes any implication that it is for something proprietary to CompTIA (which it never was).

jlyon

• Mar 3, 2022
    Oklahoma
    Note: I do not work for CompTIA, so all views and options expressed are my own and my own alone. I do not know what I am talking about.

CSA was already trademarked by a different organization that's why it was rebranded. CASP is "CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner" so rebreanding "SecurityX" makes it a more enticing name and removes any implication that it is for something proprietary to CompTIA (which it never was).
    You don't see many Jobs at least here in the USA asking for CASP+ as they favor more CISSP, Hopefully the rebranding would allow SecurityX be on par or at least Favorable among hiring managers. just my 2 cents

I'm not sure that SecurityX will entice hiring managers more than CASP+, Most will think it's a brand new certification, not a rebrand of a current one.

I'm guessing that Advanced Security Practitioner (ASP) and Expert Security Practitioner (ESP) were rejected alternatives.

MNomadic

Sep 1, 2021
    I'm happy that CASP+ will simply be rebranded into SecurityX, instead of introducing another certificate

I look forward to CloudNetx
    I don't think rebranding the CASP+ makes sense, personally. While it hasn't gained the same level of recognition/demand as CISSP or CISM, rebranding it will basically force it to start over on gaining reputation/recognition despite being on their level(arguably higher) difficulty-wise. Not to mention SecurityX looks nearly the same as Security+, making it easy to confuse an "Xpert" level cert for a foundational one. Shortening SecurityX the same way we shorten Security+ will look like "SecX" or "SX" which can pose its own issues...

You don't see many Jobs at least here in the USA asking for CASP+ as they favor more CISSP, Hopefully the rebranding would allow SecurityX be on par or at least Favorable among hiring managers. just my 2 cents
    Yeah but... I hold active CASP+, CISM, and CISSP. IMO Maintaining (renewing) CASP+ and CISM are well defined as the organizations and programs set straightforward, achievable requirements. It's been my experience that (ISC)2 very tightly audits CEUs that don't come from 'approved' activities. CISSP fees are expensive. Again, IMO (ISC)2 hasn't had much success building their membership community. Lots of long time CISSP holders are choosing not to renew.

Reactions: jlyon
    Maybe some of those CISSP holders are like me (retiring). Yesterday I received a reminder that I need to pay the $125 annual "maintenance fee" to retain my CISSP & CCSP certifications. I'm thinking the ROI on that expense doesn't make sense, so I'll let it go. The same it true for CompTIA certs (except for those "lifetime" certs).

Reactions: jlyon

Jarrel

• Feb 17, 2020
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com

I am not overjoyed either with the rebranding of CASP+ but I find that rebranding it to SecX is better than introducing another advanced security certification. Am I happy with the new name? Time will tell if people prefer to get SecX over getting CASP. 😅

As for CySA+, as Andrew pointed out, CSA is already an acryonym used by EC-Council for their Certified SOC Analyst cert exam hence, the rebranding.

CloudNetX is deemed to be a more advanced they say - being on expert level. It's like the combination of Cloud+ and Net+. It's my field that's why I am looking forward to it.

Then there's also DataX. Aren't people excited for it as well?