CTT+ training resources

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    There aren't many out there for CTT+. Joseph Phillips' All-in-One book is really the only resource out there as a book. I know there are Udemy courses, which I've never seen. I'm thinking, for that, you might have to make your own. I've personally not seen a whole bunch either. /r

The industry needs a steady stream of new technical trainers. Unless an organization has a formal train-the-trainer program, there aren't a lot of resources for new people to learn the necessary skills for becoming a trainer and facilitator, other than on the job training and trial and error. Simply passing a certification exam or being a subject matter expert DOES NOT automatically grant a person the ability to successfully train others in those subjects.

The vendor-specific trainer certs like MCT and CCSI do not teach someone to be a trainer. They simply AUTHORIZE candidates to teach their technology using official curriculum and resources. And trainers have to PAY THE VENDOR for the right to teach their technologies. I consider those programs nothing more than money grabs.

I was lucky. Early in my career, I went through an exhaustive five-day onsite train the trainer program conducted by master trainers. We learned everything from preparation skills prior to the training event, setting expectations at the beginning, assessing student needs and learning styles, maintaining student engagement, assessing student understanding and retention of information, conducting labs, dealing with technical issues, dealing with challenging students, course assessments, and post-class support and follow-up. I've taught countless trainers in TTT classes. After CompTIA retires the CTT+, where will new trainers go to build the necessary skills to successfully train others?

There is a market for a rigorous, comprehensive technical trainer program and certification.

Joel M

Aug 7, 2019
    The industry needs a steady stream of new technical trainers. Unless an organization has a formal train-the-trainer program, there aren't a lot of resources for new people to learn the necessary skills for becoming a trainer and facilitator, other than on the job training and trial and error. Simply passing a certification exam or being a subject matter expert DOES NOT automatically grant a person the ability to successfully train others in those subjects.

The vendor-specific trainer certs like MCT and CCSI do not teach someone to be a trainer. They simply AUTHORIZE candidates to teach their technology using official curriculum and resources. And trainers have to PAY THE VENDOR for the right to teach their technologies. I consider those programs nothing more than money grabs.

I was lucky. Early in my career, I went through an exhaustive five-day onsite train the trainer program conducted by master trainers. We learned everything from preparation skills prior to the training event, setting expectations at the beginning, assessing student needs and learning styles, maintaining student engagement, assessing student understanding and retention of information, conducting labs, dealing with technical issues, dealing with challenging students, course assessments, and post-class support and follow-up. I've taught countless trainers in TTT classes. After CompTIA retires the CTT+, where will new trainers go to build the necessary skills to successfully train others?

There is a market for a rigorous, comprehensive technical trainer program and certification.
    Totally agree! Sad the CTT went away. Since CompTIA has acquired so many new products for certification training, I think it would be great to have a current, robust Trainer Certification to compliment the package.