Forum Achievements

gamification (noun) - the application of typical elements of game playing (e.g. point scoring, competition with others, rules of play) to other areas of activity, typically as an online marketing technique to encourage engagement with a product or service

I can hardly get my head around seeing people posting and reacting to posts, for the sake of getting Forum Achievements. 😅
I guess, if that's what makes them happy and they're not hurting anyone, then we let them be. (?)
Well, the only one that I was concerned about was having the most posts on the board - a little insider back and forth between @Stephen Schneiter and I.

But, on that, I do think the XP calculation formulas are a little out of whack - or I'm doing something very wrong...which, I can't think of what.

<rant>
Past that, I do at least make sure when I post, that they aren't just simple things, but rather, thoughtful posts. That always irritated me in college when we had to post the obligatory two posts plus two responses to get credit for classroom attendance. When I got into instructing at the college level, I would tell my students, "Good post, totally agree!" is not a "good post" at all. If you agree, tell me why you agree/disagree. Provide detail and point/counterpoint. I can't speak for anyone else on that, but I would like to read a bit more.

Anyway, I'll back off this just a touch, as I have domain controllers needing attention and love/euthanized. Who knew that Azure would have problems with Hybrid AD joins when your Functional Level....is...Windows...2008. (and not even R2).

Long story...maybe something for another one of my marathon posts.
</rant>

Patrick Asamago

Oct 2, 2021
Well, the only one that I was concerned about was having the most posts on the board - a little insider back and forth between @Stephen Schneiter and I.

But, on that, I do think the XP calculation formulas are a little out of whack - or I'm doing something very wrong...which, I can't think of what.

<rant>
Past that, I do at least make sure when I post, that they aren't just simple things, but rather, thoughtful posts. That always irritated me in college when we had to post the obligatory two posts plus two responses to get credit for classroom attendance. When I got into instructing at the college level, I would tell my students, "Good post, totally agree!" is not a "good post" at all. If you agree, tell me why you agree/disagree. Provide detail and point/counterpoint. I can't speak for anyone else on that, but I would like to read a bit more.

Anyway, I'll back off this just a touch, as I have domain controllers needing attention and love/euthanized. Who knew that Azure would have problems with Hybrid AD joins when your Functional Level....is...Windows...2008. (and not even R2).

</rant>
Every one have his or her own view and way of posting, that is part of the rhythm in any group.

Jarrel

• Feb 17, 2020
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com

<rant>

</rant>

We also got universities here in AU where they base the student's participation on a "forum post" wherein, even just a mindless phrase of "that's right" is accepted - and I fully agree with you - we need to encourage people to put in their thinking caps on when they post on a forum, so they can contribute to the discussion rather than just chase an "achievement".

There are so much info or questions that people got in their heads that should be shared across. Sadly, if a person won't speak 'thoughtfully', then the rest will not know.

KGreen

Nov 2, 2021
    We also got universities here in AU where they base the student's participation on a "forum post" wherein, even just a mindless phrase of "that's right" is accepted - and I fully agree with you - we need to encourage people to put in their thinking caps on when they post on a forum, so they can contribute to the discussion rather than just chase an "achievement".

There are so much info or questions that people got in their heads that should be shared across. Sadly, if a person won't speak 'thoughtfully', then the rest will not know.
    It may be due to the habit of texting, and downloaded files, and no longer writing things out, but many of my students are challenged to write in full sentences. Either I need to not care, or specify "full sentences, more than just 'I agree', 3 or more sentences"

Reactions: Jarrel
    It may be due to the habit of texting, and downloaded files, and no longer writing things out, but many of my students are challenged to write in full sentences. Either I need to not care, or specify "full sentences, more than just 'I agree', 3 or more sentences"
    Einstein once said, "Genius is making complex ideas simple, not making simple ideas complex." There is a lot to be said about a quick and concise point. But sometimes, I think folks take it so literally that it backfires.