Hey Newbies - Over Here!

I was not able to input my certs when I joined because for some reason it was not taking my information. Perhaps you can tell me what error I made.

Hey Robert - Are you talking about trying to enter your certs into your CIN profile or something? Because right now, I don't think that's available . I believe that was a feature for later, but not presently implemented.

/r

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    Hi Robert,

Welcome to the neighborhood! You should be able to update your profile trough the Manage My Account option on the navigation bar on the left. I just checked and adding your cert does not seem to be an option. I will work on that to see where the hang up is.

What CompTIA certs do you have. Since you worked through the Ethical Hacker cert you should check out CompTIA's cert for Pen Testing, PenTest+ or the CySA+ cert. There is a new version of that one being released tomorrow. We will offer a Train-the-Trainer series on that this summer.

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
    Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    Hello everyone,

Just getting involved eith CIN, and I am looking forward to learning and sharing as we go forward.

Welcome to the neighborhood @Peter Bagley glad you joining in the community! Looking forward to your participation! How are your doing in this new environment we find ourselves in? Are you in St. Petersburg? At least you have nice scenery. :cool:

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
    Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    Hi, @dwalker and welcome to the community! I believe you are in the right spot if you have any questions or looking for support for new classes you preparing to teach next fall. Of course, I would first recommend checking out the Train-the-Trainer series for IT Fundamentals+ and A+. The TTT series are always popular and a really good source for teaching suggestions and seeing how other teachers are presenting the information with there students. You can find the on-demand recordings in the resource tab located on left navigation menu.

Again, welcome to the neighborhood! We look forward to seeing you around in forums and webinars.

Leon L. Robinson

Jul 2, 2020
    Hi Rick.

I'm Leon, a former Red Hat instructor and examiner (am I allowed to say that here, do I get lynched now?) I'm now working for UKFast and someone has given me a grant to teach CompTIA Linux+ and Network+ to women from ethnically diverse backgrounds in Manchester. We have our first cohort of women taking their XK0-004 exams about now and it's going pretty well even though we got clobbered quite a lot by the pandemic.

Hi Leon. "clobbered quite a lot by the pandemic," is a common theme, particularly in the academic environment where things started halfway through the semester. I was recently involved as a "volunteer" helping a non-profit entity that deals with disadvantaged young people, in providing a two-week exam prep class for the ITF+ certification. The students took an online course this past semester at one of our community colleges but needed the directed focus on exam objective content in order to stand some sort of chance at passing the exam. Clearly, as their class shifted from on-ground to online, the tempo was lost.

Community colleges here in California are really struggling as to how to teach for this fall semester. With rising numbers relating to COVID-19, it is a bit of a guessing game. I'm back in a teaching role, having "retired" from my administrative role on June 30th. The plan is to focus on online instruction as I return to the "classroom." Along those lines, I finished up a 12-week course titled Online Instruction and Design. Some real value in that course.....

Hi Rick.

I'm Leon, a former Red Hat instructor and examiner (am I allowed to say that here, do I get lynched now?) I'm now working for UKFast and someone has given me a grant to teach CompTIA Linux+ and Network+ to women from ethnically diverse backgrounds in Manchester. We have our first cohort of women taking their XK0-004 exams about now and it's going pretty well even though we got clobbered quite a lot by the pandemic.

Hey, we take all kinds here in CIN - heck, if they'll put up with my shenanigans, they'll take anyone around this place. CIN's a good place to connect and share ideas. There are some big names of some good people out here too - once in a while, they even come out and say hello.

Women in Tech is one of my professional causes. For some reason, the ratio out there is about 11:1, far outside the norm of the
    some-odd 52% women in STEM technologies and roles. But in IT, it's a stark deep disparity. I'm glad to see you're changing that.

/r

Last edited:

Brian Thompson

Jul 1, 2020
    Welcome to the CIN!

Seems like we have some new faces here in CIN and, in an effort to try to get the CiN server to crash, encourage some new activity on the CIN board, I wanted to put up a post to see who the newbies are, what certs you're working on, what your goals are, whatever - just get a conversation going.

So, who's up?

Cheers,

/r
    Hi Rick, I am up! How are you? My organization is looking for remote A+ and Network+ instructors (full and part time). We are teaching the hard of hearing and deaf community network skills, getting them certified which will lead to a Microsoft internship finally landing with employment. The instructors do not need to know sign language (but it they do awesome). We have several onsite interpreters. I have posted an ad, do you have any ideas?

Brian

Charlton Simmons

Jul 10, 2020
    Hello Everyone

My name is Charlton and I am a community school coordinator. I just signed up the high school that I work for to become an academy partner. As of right now, we are trying to find our footing so I would greatly appreciate any tips and pointers, especially if you are in the Albuquerque, New Mexico area. My information is listed below and I look forward to hearing from you all

Charlton Simmons
    Community School Coordinator
    Highland High School
    [email protected]
    Office: (505) 265-3711 ex: 26344
    Cell: 678-255-7778

I have posted an ad, do you have any ideas?
    It's kind of nice to know of folks like you that are working for special needs type folks. While we generally are more tilted towards folks that don't require additional accommodation, we don't always make a point to ask the questions, "What if you are blind or deaf - what are the challenges of getting an A+ cert?" So, special blessings your way as you work with these people.

There might be a few instructors who are able to help out, out here on CIN, so putting your need out there may garner a few folks. It varies as to how many are looking for a teaching gig, but mentioning it here in the CIN is probably the best way to go about it - maybe a main post would help?

Welcome to the CIN, Brian!

/r

Brian Thompson

Jul 1, 2020
    It's kind of nice to know of folks like you that are working for special needs type folks. While we generally are more tilted towards folks that don't require additional accommodation, we don't always make a point to ask the questions, "What if you are blind or deaf - what are the challenges of getting an A+ cert?" So, special blessings your way as you work with these people.

There might be a few instructors who are able to help out, out here on CIN, so putting your need out there may garner a few folks. It varies as to how many are looking for a teaching gig, but mentioning it here in the CIN is probably the best way to go about it - maybe a main post would help?

Welcome to the CIN, Brian!

Thanks, I placed a main post so we shall see what happens. Just as an FYI we serve the Overlooked and Underserved not just the deaf:
    • Native Americans
    • Urban People of Color
    • Citizens of Rural Coal Mining Towns
    • Deaf and Hard of Hearing
    • Veterans
    Thanks for your quick response and perhaps one day we can do business.

Reactions: Rick Butler