how many of you manage complete Comptia Network+ 20 chapter and Certmaster Lab in 5 day Class ?

hosnypasha

Sep 9, 2020
For every single CompTIA course, I can complete the courseware in five days. I assign the labs as homework each evening. The labs all have step-bu-step instructions so they don't need me walking them through them.
Not all students accept that,for example employees in companies consider it a shortage

I often think about the execution of courses that require hands-on and a required level of critical thinking in their delivery, which are done in 5 days. We should have more conversations about the effectiveness and the specific target audience to which it applies.

For every single CompTIA course, I can complete the courseware in five days. I assign the labs as homework each evening. The labs all have step-bu-step instructions so they don't need me walking them through them.
how do you answer Education ministry and funded upskill ministry or how do you answer your student who feel trainer skip some lab ?

Reactions: hosnypasha
how do you answer Education ministry and funded upskill ministry or how do you answer your student who feel trainer skip some lab ?
I don't deal with any Education ministry. I don't skip labs because I don't cover them in class. They are homework assignments.

CompTIA certifications are vendor-neutral. If someone wants to learn a hands-on skill, they need vendor-specific training instead.

Brandon G

Aug 10, 2019
Union County College
I will say, working in higher education and vocational training. It's not good to run this material in an accelerated fashion for students who like the background or understanding. If they can follow along with the lab instructions from CertMaster, what's the point of having it be instructor led? You're shooting yourself in the foot.

I will say, working in higher education and vocational training. It's not good to run this material in an accelerated fashion for students who like the background or understanding. If they can follow along with the lab instructions from CertMaster, what's the point of having it be instructor led? You're shooting yourself in the foot.
A five-day, eight-hour day schedule is a boot camp. They're good for people who have the experience but lack the certification. They can quickly absorb the information so they can pass the exam. For people who lack experience, they would not have the same results. I always suggest people start at a level that's appropriate for their experience level. IT Fundamentals+ is a great introduction to technology and is better suited to inexperienced learners.

That said, I have no idea how high school and college educators spread a course across an entire semester. I was bored in college because it seemed like it was taking FOREVER to go through the materials.

Drew Collins

Nov 11, 2019
Charlotte NC
A five-day, eight-hour day schedule is a boot camp. They're good for people who have the experience but lack the certification. They can quickly absorb the information so they can pass the exam. For people who lack experience, they would not have the same results. I always suggest people start at a level that's appropriate for their experience level. IT Fundamentals+ is a great introduction to technology and is better suited to inexperienced learners.

That said, I have no idea how high school and college educators spread a course across an entire semester. I was bored in college because it seemed like it was taking FOREVER to go through the materials.
100% agree with you on this Greg. Its about who is the targeted audience. A 5-day bootcamp course is all that might be needed for many. But it's not for everyone. Nor can everyone teach them.

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
the Netherlands
www.kilala.nl
Wait, does that mean you just firehose all the content at them, all lectures, no demo, no labs?

From your point-of-view of a firehose bootcamp, I see where you're coming from. That's also how I did CISSP back in the day. The target audience is different: the audience will simply want to ask finishing questions before going for the exam. It's not about learning, it's about the exam.

I spread Linux+ across 17 days, six hours each. My target audience is very different.

Your five day bootcamp is for people with experience, doing their last prep. My 17 day (plus homework!) course is for a mixed group of young students with very mixed backgrounds who need to learn both Linux as well as professional skills (like communicating, learning, research, timekeeping).

Each audience has its own needs.

Reactions: MBA
how many of you manage complete Comptia Network+ 20 chapter and Certmaster Lab in 5 day Class ?
It is possible. Kindly refer to the presentation planner for Network+

It will be a bootcamp style of teaching where you focus the discussion on key areas whereas, the students need to have prior knowledge of networking atleast, or that the students should do prior reading.

Reactions: MBA
I'm teaching Network+ this week. Five days of training, from 9 AM until 4 PM. It is an official CompTIA training course using CertMaster resources. We cover four lessons per day. The CertMaster labs literally have step-by-step instructions in the virtual labs. I introduce the students to the lab environment but assign the labs as evening homework so that they can work at their own pace. All the labs are self-paced so that the students can do them at a comfortable rate. An instructor does not need to lead the students through the labs. Students can purchase the CertMaster resources and go through them independently without an instructor if they choose.

That being said, I do throw in quite a few demonstrations. I've done demonstrations of command line utilities such as ping, tracert, pathping, and arp. I've demonstrated GUI tools such as Wireshark. I walk them through decimal/binary/hexidecimal conversion and subnetting exercises. I continuously quiz their knowledge throughout the class. I do not spend a lot of time teaching the in-depth nuances of each tool because that is not the purpose of the course. Network+ is a vendor-neutral certification.

The recommended experience for Network+ is CompTIA A+ certification and a minimum of 9-12 months of hands-on experience working in a junior network administrator/network support technician job role. Because they are recommended prerequisites and not required prerequisites, I typically see a mix of different experience levels from complete novices to people with 20+ years of experience. In a perfect world, students would have a mentor who could help them map out a training program based on their experience level and their interests. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. Many of them sign up for classes based on information from sales or marketing, often giving them unrealistic expectations for the training.