How to become COMPTIA Trainor

Ramasankar

Nov 19, 2019
I would basically suggest that you pass the CompTIA CTT+ either classroom or virtual delivery method. Or the other option could be if you are a Microsoft Certified Trainer. This will prove your delivery credentials.

Apart from that you will have to pass the exam for which you would want to deliver the course. Example if you plan to deliver the Network+ training, make sure you have passed the latest Network+ exam. By doing this you will be able to guide the participants better how to prep for the exam.

Ramasankar

Nov 19, 2019
If you are delivering trainings with a CompTIA partner, than they could register you on the partner portal as an instructor. As for the materials and PowerPoint slides you still have to purchase them unless your training partner could talk to the CompTIA representative for a complimentary copy of the instructor kit and again all this depends on the volume of student manuals purchased by the training company.

Not knowing how you are employed for instruction, I'm afraid all the information I could provide would be general at best. I guess that's the part we're missing in this thread.

I've been teaching CompTIA topics for about a decade in a post-secondary setting. Basically, having the certification for the course that you are going to teach is a natural prerequisite. I never got the CTT+ personally. But then I've never needed one, since I was credentialed to teach higher ed.

@Ramasankar is correct about teaching with a CompTIA partner - this does open up access to official CompTIA materials, although if you are working with a school, they may have you use their materials, from other publishers like Pearson, Cengage, or McGraw Hill. Colleges teaching CompTIA courses have the opportunity of becoming an Academy Partner. Either way, your school should provide those materials if you are teaching their materials.

If you looking to be an independent contractor and instructor, you can often times adapt student materials for delivery. Just buy a book and put a course together for whomever contracts you. If you can deliver online, you can try to do so using a platform like Udemy.

Good luck with your instructional pursuits!

/r

John: I have access to the official CompTIA materials by virtue of the fact that my college has them as well as some other resources that I have. I also have access to numerous other publishers as I have need from a variety of publishers. Again, this is because I'm affiliated with a college. And my college is a CompTIA Academy Partner as well, which gives me access to those resources as well.

/r

John: I can't grant you access through my channels, as I think you are asking. If you work for an employer who is a partner, then should be able to request it of them. But I can't just give it to you, myself.

If you don't work for a partner, my recommendation would be for you to get a copy of the books that you want to teach and build your own curriculum from there. Really, that's how a lot of instructors out here do it anyway - they build their own stuff if they don't have a partner/college/organization providing it to them.

/r

Reactions: Tess Sluijter
Just to be clear, I do not believe you can waive any requirements for the CompTIA CTT+ by possessing the Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) credential. I know Microsoft requires at least one instructional certification of which CTT+ is one, but I do not believe the reverse is true. I don't think you get waived credit for any CTT requirement by possessing an MCT. You have to take the TK0-201 written and then either TK0-202 or TK0-203 to certify as a CTT+.

If someone can show me an exact reference to the contrary, I'd like to know. But I don't think it works that way.

@Ramasankar - II believe what you cited was whether a particular candidate was a certified instructor. For CompTIA Delivery Partner status, the organization has to employ CTT+ certified people and use CompTIA Approved Curriculum. An Academy partner doesn't require that - only that they are an secondary or post-secondary or some other academic institution.

/r

Ramasankar

Nov 19, 2019
Just to be clear, I do not believe you can waive any requirements for the CompTIA CTT+ by possessing the Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) credential. I know Microsoft requires at least one instructional certification of which CTT+ is one, but I do not believe the reverse is true. I don't think you get waived credit for any CTT requirement by possessing an MCT. You have to take the TK0-201 written and then either TK0-202 or TK0-203 to certify as a CTT+.

If someone can show me an exact reference to the contrary, I'd like to know. But I don't think it works that way.

@Ramasankar - II believe what you cited was whether a particular candidate was a certified instructor. For CompTIA Delivery Partner status, the organization has to employ CTT+ certified people and use CompTIA Approved Curriculum. An Academy partner doesn't require that - only that they are an secondary or post-secondary or some other academic institution.

/r
Hi Rick to be a certified instructor for a CompTIA partner, one can either posses a CTT+ or an MCT or CNI, CCI or a Govt Teaching Cert.

Totally agree with you that holding a MCT does not waive credits for a CTT requirement. To achieve a CTT+ certification you have to take the TK0-201 written and then either TK0-202 or TK0-203 to certify as a CTT+.

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
the Netherlands
www.kilala.nl
Thanks for all your helpful responses Rick! This'll help me get a start :)

I'm lucky enough to have been asked to teach an extended Linux+ class at a local Academy partner. They don't have access to official CompTIA materials, so we'll make do with the Sybex books. Let's see if I can whip up adequate labs and slides.

Hi Tess: I am pretty sure you'll crank up something fantastic. Remember, no matter what training materials you use, use the published objectives to guide your teaching.

The trick is whether we teach domain by domain, or chapter by chapter in a book. Neither is perfect, but whichever way you go, make sure to cover to the depth to Blooms Taxonomy Level 3 (application) and you will have great students who know their stuff.

Hope to hear back on how your class went!

/r

Reactions: Tess Sluijter