Identifying Pre-Requisite Knowledge Requirements

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    As I was reading through the Cloud+ 003 textbook, I saw this little statement:

IP address allocation via DHCP is assumed knowledge for CompTIA Cloud+. Please review the process if you are not familiar with it. A very brief review is provided below.

Now, we all know that certain certifications represent pre-requisite knowledge that a person has to have when attaining higher certs; that's why the suggested core path is A+, Net+, Sec+, etc. Each cert builds skills into the next. Now, we also know that there is a fair bit of overlap as well - with some topics discussed in many different certs.

But, when I saw the above statement, I nodded in approval, because this is something I had wished we'd see more of in CompTIA materials - indicators that I may have to step outside the certs objective list to understand something in order to buttress up a topic - that points to another cert's body of knowledge, or something like that. To me, this makes learning more efficient because it helps with those age-old statements like, "yes, for the security+, you need to have a mastery of ports and protocols - which is germane to the network+"

I would even go so far as to make this its own category - "Stuff You Should Already Know" or "Assumed Knowledge".

Perhaps this is assumed when you review CompTIA's certifications roadmap. But little sign posts along the way, to me, are extremely helpful.

/r

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    That was something to which I tried to adhere during my TTT - that I wasn't going to 'reteach' the A+ during Server+, so I could spend more time focused on Server+ specific topics. It's also something that I've noted in many classrooms - reteaching things, either as a course filler or worse, because for some reason, students end up sitting the class without the needed skills to understand all the topics.

/r