Instructor Certification and resources

bdelong

Apr 15, 2021
Bowling Green KY
Background- I have been selected to become one of ten instructors for the US Army JROTC Cyber Instructor program. The 4 year curriculum will cover concepts such as A+ for year 1, Network+ for year 2, etc. I was curious if there was relevant training and certification that will "certify" me to teach COMPTIA certification subjects. Thanks in advance.

PS. I have written exam questions for ISC2 and COMPTIA and hold a few certifications- CISSP,CISA,CASP+, GSEC, Security+, CYSA+.

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    Hello @bdelong, as Rick commented CTT+ is a great certification to help you with delivering content to students. Currently there is not a dedicated title for Certified CompTIA Instructor. If you do not have any training experience, then definitely CTT+ is the way to go to pick up the skills of a good instructor. If you do have an instructional background then you really want to hold the certification you are teaching, so that you know what the student experience will be as they sit for the exam as well as have an understanding of what the exam will be looking for in terms of objectives and question make up.

Then, of course, you will want to utilize the official CompTIA content, as it contains a lot of tools to help you and your students as they prepare for certification.

bdelong

Apr 15, 2021
    Bowling Green KY
    Hello @bdelong, as Rick commented CTT+ is a great certification to help you with delivering content to students. Currently there is not a dedicated title for Certified CompTIA Instructor. If you do not have any training experience, then definitely CTT+ is the way to go to pick up the skills of a good instructor. If you do have an instructional background then you really want to hold the certification you are teaching, so that you know what the student experience will be as they sit for the exam as well as have an understanding of what the exam will be looking for in terms of objectives and question make up.

Then, of course, you will want to utilize the official CompTIA content, as it contains a lot of tools to help you and your students as they prepare for certification.
    I looked at the CTT info on the COMPTIA website and looked at the free exam questions. I am lucky in that i am a retired US Army Senior NCO so training was one of my primary functions. I also taught as a civilian preparing and instructing a few military courses. That said i will be training the trifecta of A+, Net+, and Security+. I have the security down pat guess i need to look at the A+ and Net+.

Siegfried

• Mar 10, 2022
    Montreal, Canada
    Well, that's where the CompTIA CTT+ comes in.

I won't spoil the experience for you, but that's CompTIA's cert for trainers. Give it a walk through and see if that's what you're looking to see.

/r
    I bought the CTT+ Book last year after I started to teach my daughter. I figured that it might be the good path for me. I love the book :)

I dont know if / when an update will end up coming out for it. But it will be interesting if they do

NATUNA

• Apr 9, 2020
    Viet Nam
    I looked at the CTT info on the COMPTIA website and looked at the free exam questions. I am lucky in that i am a retired US Army Senior NCO so training was one of my primary functions. I also taught as a civilian preparing and instructing a few military courses. That said i will be training the trifecta of A+, Net+, and Security+. I have the security down pat guess i need to look at the A+ and Net+.
    I think your choice for Net+ & A+ is right. You should have experiences about them first, you shall have a lot ideas to deliver the contents to your student. As Rick and Stephen has concerned about the CTT+, I think that is good reference for you now.

Patrick Asamago

Oct 2, 2021
    I think your choice for Net+ & A+ is right. You should have experiences about them first, you shall have a lot ideas to deliver the contents to your student. As Rick and Stephen has concerned about the CTT+, I think that is good reference for you now.
    Definitely correct.

Jarrel

• Feb 17, 2020
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com
    Background- I have been selected to become one of ten instructors for the US Army JROTC Cyber Instructor program. The 4 year curriculum will cover concepts such as A+ for year 1, Network+ for year 2, etc. I was curious if there was relevant training and certification that will "certify" me to teach COMPTIA certification subjects. Thanks in advance.

PS. I have written exam questions for ISC2 and COMPTIA and hold a few certifications- CISSP,CISA,CASP+, GSEC, Security+, CYSA+.

Aside from CTT+, being familiar and/or certified with the relevant certs will also help.
    - A+ is two-fold. You can probably schedule the 220-1101 (core1) in the first half of the year, then 220-1102 (core2) in the second half.
    - There's also train-the-trainer sessions which are fun to join -> A+ TTT session is about to start in few days time.
    - 1 year is probably a long time to teach a particular cert topic. It is doable, but you'll probably need lots of labs and extra material so as to keep your students engaged.

US Army will probably have a copy of the instructor materials from CompTIA. Check those out. It contains slides, and some external resources that you can use for your classes.