Just Starting Out, Looking for Guidance

Logan.Bowes

Feb 21, 2024
Good morning all, I'm looking to start a CompTIA training cell with my company and I'm just looking for some general guidance. I taught A+, Network+, and Security+ while I was on active duty in the Marine Corps for about 3 years. I've since transitioned to civilian life and I see the opportunity to expand the company I work for into the CompTIA training sector in our region. I have attended various formalized instructor trainings through the military but I'd still like to attend a TTT if possible. Also, I've contacted CompTIA about becoming a delivery partner, I hope that works out too!

Is there anything you guys would recommend that someone just starting out should do? I have the classroom experience teaching and the certifications and education. I've never done any kind of sales or business development though.

TIA

-Logan

From my perspective, it sounds like you have the instructional background, so I'd say, find someone who wants to do the business side and partner up with them. You'll find yourself very divided if you have to manage the business, make sales connections, and try to develop curriculum and teach all at the same time.

/r

Logan.Bowes

Feb 21, 2024
From my perspective, it sounds like you have the instructional background, so I'd say, find someone who wants to do the business side and partner up with them. You'll find yourself very divided if you have to manage the business, make sales connections, and try to develop curriculum and teach all at the same time.

/r
Understood, I appreciate the feedback!

Currently the only person at the company really driving this forward is myself. It's a very small company so I think the only way I could get someone to partner up with me would be to start my own separate business and I'm not prepared to do that just yet. I think I need to learn sales.

Reactions: Kwabena Fred

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    The best option is what @Rick Butler has said. However, as you have said, you may be a freelancer instructor as you are building sales skills.
    Hi @Logan.Bowes, I agree with both @Rick Butler and @Fanuel. Starting out as a freelance, contract instructor might be a good option to begin with as you pick up the sales/business skills, and provides a good opportunity to make business contacts for future projects. One area of CIN that stays pretty active is the Job Board where there are several postings for training opportunities.

It sounds like you are on the right track with your current company. If they are interested in training staff or opening a training department, partnering with CompTIA will be a good start for discounts. Make sure you reach out to your CompTIA contact and have a conversation with them. They will provide advice and help where they can.

One thing about it, our career field will continue to grow and there are a lot of opportunities out there.

Understood, I appreciate the feedback!

Currently the only person at the company really driving this forward is myself. It's a very small company so I think the only way I could get someone to partner up with me would be to start my own separate business and I'm not prepared to do that just yet. I think I need to learn sales.
    Well, I don't envy you on that work - in fact, when I've been asked in the past about going into business for myself, I have always said, "Can't - I'm not a sales guy and I have the charisma of a dead tree".

One thing that I've also seen is a couple's situation....that is, he does the work, she goes out and scares up the business. Seen that a lot.

But best of luck in doing the sales part, for sure.

Logan.Bowes

Feb 21, 2024
    Hi @Logan.Bowes, I agree with both @Rick Butler and @Fanuel. Starting out as a freelance, contract instructor might be a good option to begin with as you pick up the sales/business skills, and provides a good opportunity to make business contacts for future projects. One area of CIN that stays pretty active is the Job Board where there are several postings for training opportunities.

It sounds like you are on the right track with your current company. If they are interested in training staff or opening a training department, partnering with CompTIA will be a good start for discounts. Make sure you reach out to your CompTIA contact and have a conversation with them. They will provide advice and help where they can.

One thing about it, our career field will continue to grow and there are a lot of opportunities out there.
    I had my first meeting with one of the CompTIA sales reps and she said that she'd like to see us pushing about 10 - 15 students through per month to be viewed as a truly viable CompTIA partner. However, she did say that she would reach out to a BDM for their thoughts on our Go-To-Market strategy etc.

I think that the career field will only continue to grow as well at least for the foreseeable future. Also our region (DMV) has a large amount of people beholden to the DoD 8570/8140 standard and new people coming into IT roles every day. Our plan is to offer consistently high-quality instruction on-site, at our office, or if need be VILT to those individuals.

Logan.Bowes

Feb 21, 2024
    Well, I don't envy you on that work - in fact, when I've been asked in the past about going into business for myself, I have always said, "Can't - I'm not a sales guy and I have the charisma of a dead tree".

One thing that I've also seen is a couple's situation....that is, he does the work, she goes out and scares up the business. Seen that a lot.

But best of luck in doing the sales part, for sure.
    That would certainly be nice! Thank you!

Bert313

May 4, 2021
    Good morning all, I'm looking to start a CompTIA training cell with my company and I'm just looking for some general guidance. I taught A+, Network+, and Security+ while I was on active duty in the Marine Corps for about 3 years. I've since transitioned to civilian life and I see the opportunity to expand the company I work for into the CompTIA training sector in our region. I have attended various formalized instructor trainings through the military but I'd still like to attend a TTT if possible. Also, I've contacted CompTIA about becoming a delivery partner, I hope that works out too!

Is there anything you guys would recommend that someone just starting out should do? I have the classroom experience teaching and the certifications and education. I've never done any kind of sales or business development though.

TIA

-Logan
    Congrats on your endeavors Logan. I understand that you're a veteran. So am I and thank you for your service. Let's chat...

If you want to be a contract instructor, there are several training brokers that match up clients who need training and trainers who need clients.

I worked as an independent contract trainer for 12 years and have recently started doing it again.

Reactions: Logan.Bowes

Logan.Bowes

Feb 21, 2024
    If you want to be a contract instructor, there are several training brokers that match up clients who need training and trainers who need clients.

I worked as an independent contract trainer for 12 years and have recently started doing it again.
    Good to know! Where would one find these training brokers?

Reactions: mfurman

mfurman

Oct 29, 2020

I'm interested in this as well as I am just getting started again with teaching again as well.