Malware on Windows system

Trevor Chandler

Jul 4, 2020
Question:
Why is malware that runs as a Windows service more difficult for the average end user to detect?

Choices:
A. Because services run in the User mode

B. Because services run in the background and do not interact with the users

C. Because all services run automatically when the system boots up

D. Because services run in the Kernel mode

Your Answer:

Note: 1 week detention if your response is incorrect!!!!

Michael Schmitz

Aug 9, 2021
Germany
www.linkedin.com
Question:
Why is malware that runs as a Windows service more difficult for the average end user to detect?

Choices:
A. Because services run in the User mode

B. Because services run in the background and do not interact with the users

C. Because all services run automatically when the system boots up

D. Because services run in the Kernel mode

Your Answer:

Note: 1 week detention if your response is incorrect!!!!
C & D are Plain wrong..
A: it does not matter where they run for the Enduser when looking for Malware..
B is the only Answer that makes sense.

Reactions: Tess Sluijter
Answer: Because the end user is non-technical. That's what they pay tech people to do.
While B is right, Greg's answer is very much correct, because this is what's being leveraged - user ignorance.

Thinking like a bad guy - if I'm going to put persistent malware on a system in a way that is not readily detected by the user, disguising it as a service is a common thing to happen.

/r

Trevor Chandler

Jul 4, 2020
Answer: Because the end user is non-technical. That's what they pay tech people to do.
Greg, you must be a disciple of Mr. Rick Butler! Providing a response, outside of choices that were listed is definitely something that Mr. Butler would do. Anyway, in addition to your response being incorrect, you've earned an additional week of detention for coloring outside the lines :)

Greg, you must be a disciple of Mr. Rick Butler! Providing a response, outside of choices that were listed is definitely something that Mr. Butler would do. Anyway, in addition to your response being incorrect, you've earned an additional week of detention for coloring outside the lines :)
Greg's not my disciple, Trevor; he's his own brand. We just happen to think a lot alike on things - which means, since you're basically outnumbered on it, we'll be remanding you to the CIN detention hall with your box of crayons for 2 hours of practice on network drawings.

And yes, the best way to defend against bad guys is to think like them - to crawl in their sandbox and down that hole to learn the dark arts, re-emerging dirty yet wiser...

Or, in the words of Mr. Raymond Reddington...

1703721960940.png

Troublemakers tend to hang out together.....

Trevor Chandler

Jul 4, 2020
Greg's not my disciple, Trevor; he's his own brand. We just happen to think a lot alike on things - which means, since you're basically outnumbered on it, we'll be remanding you to the CIN detention hall with your box of crayons for 2 hours of practice on network drawings.

And yes, the best way to defend against bad guys is to think like them - to crawl in their sandbox and down that hole to learn the dark arts, re-emerging dirty yet wiser...

Or, in the words of Mr. Raymond Reddington...

View attachment 1545
Mr. Butler, you're attempt to drop a lump of coal in my Christmas stocking will not succeed. You're too late - Santa was extremely kind to me :) Now, because we're in the season of "Peace on Earth", I'm going to leave my lightsaber powered off. However, as sooooooooooon as the season is done, you'd better lookout!!! Oh, by the way, Happy Holidays :)

Well, Mr. Kringle has always had a soft spot for hard luck cases. But that's okay. It's January 2 and it's time to get back to work. The coffee's brewed and I found a delightful toy under my tree...

View attachment 1551

Hopefully you didn't indulge too much on cookies and egg nog.
Happy new Year