Passing CASP+ & the future of PBQs

Hi all. In the spirit of celebrating wins, I pludged and passed CASP+ about 2 hours ago.

I was wondering anyone official from CompTIA reading, has there been any consideration for replacing the current PBQ format for something more like the simulation? I thought it was easily the best part of the exam and can imagine a whole bunch of really great PBQs, at all levels, with something more of that format.

Brian Wafula

• Mar 30, 2023
    Nairobi
    wafula.me
    Hi all. In the spirit of celebrating wins, I pludged and passed CASP+ about 2 hours ago.

I was wondering anyone official from CompTIA reading, has there been any consideration for replacing the current PBQ format for something more like the simulation? I thought it was easily the best part of the exam and can imagine a whole bunch of really great PBQs, at all levels, with something more of that format.
    I agree. Simulation would be a step in the right direction since we practice with lots of LABS activities.

Perhaps that's true right now. But I really do think there's too much of an opportunity cost for CompTIA not to take that suggestion seriously.
    From what I understand, Simulation questions are going to be more of a part of exams in the future, at least per Patrick Lane, when I asked it during the last CySA+ training. And I think they may show up on Security+ and PenTest+ as well, but don't hold me to that. Not sure how far down it goes - if sims just show up for more expert level exams or they may even show up in exams like A+_underscore or Tech+ (fmr ITF, when that updates).

That being said, I don't think there's any plan to eliminate the PBQ format, but rather, just add in simulator questions into the exam.

Again, all this is hearsay, since I'm not "official CompTIA". But that's what I've heard.

/r

From what I understand, Simulation questions are going to be more of a part of exams in the future, at least per Patrick Lane, when I asked it during the last CySA+ training. And I think they may show up on Security+ and PenTest+ as well, but don't hold me to that. Not sure how far down it goes - if sims just show up for more expert level exams or they may even show up in exams like A+_underscore or Tech+ (fmr ITF, when that updates).

That being said, I don't think there's any plan to eliminate the PBQ format, but rather, just add in simulator questions into the exam.

Again, all this is hearsay, since I'm not "official CompTIA". But that's what I've heard.

/r
    Thanks Rick. That's good info in my book! I suppose I don't mind keeping the current PBQ format alongside the simulator questions; the simulator questions just seemed like too good of an opportunity not to pursue further.

Reactions: Rick Butler

Joel M

Aug 7, 2019

Congrats! That one's been elusive for me :~|

The CCIE and the OffSec certifications require hands-on labs. They're some of the toughest exams anyone can take in tech.

From a practical standpoint, they're also the most difficult for certification organizations to create. Multiple-choice questions are much easier to create.

When I took the CASP+, I didn't realize that you couldn't skip the VM question and return to it, so I never even attempted it. I couldn't even tell you what the question was asking. I did well enough on the PBQs and the multiple-choice questions that it did not matter. I still passed.

CompTIA should increase the number of PBQs on the technical exams and offer at least one question in a VM on them as well. Too many people are achieving passing scores by simply memorizing facts while not understanding how to apply the knowledge.

Jarrel

• Feb 17, 2020
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com

Congratulations!
    You'll soon be SecX certified by 2024.

CompTIA should increase the number of PBQs on the technical exams and offer at least one question in a VM on them as well. Too many people are achieving passing scores by simply memorizing facts while not understanding how to apply the knowledge.
    I think there's also a delicate line - make the exams too difficult and people may be discouraged from taking them. CompTIA wants people taking them (certification testing is the primary revenue stream), so I suspect they have to play that carefully. I do agree that applicative knowledge on an exam makes the credential more valuable, rather than having some brain dump chump come along, jank an exam, and suddenly, that person is a FillInTheBlank+.

When I took the CASP+, I didn't realize that you couldn't skip the VM question and return to it,
    Luckily, I heard that when I was prepping. I think even CompTIA mentioned that somewhere on the exam page. But when it came up on the exam, it was like 'okay, here we go, we're doing this...'

Either way, that was the fun part of the test for me - actually doing something. A great intermission from the before and after of getting pounded on about regulations and various factoids.

Reactions: Tess Sluijter
    Interesting! When I took CASP+, we didn't have that yet... Now I want to retake the exam
    Where is the demand for CASP+? While I realize it is the most advanced exam, I do not see many instructors discussing presenting the curriculum here. What am I missing?

Where is the demand for CASP+? While I realize it is the most advanced exam, I do not see many instructors discussing presenting the curriculum here. What am I missing?
    There is a possibility I start directing some of my graduate students to it, which is why I took it.

Jill West

• Sep 13, 2019
    Dalton, GA
    I think it's not common to be taught at the 2-yr/undergrad level. It really requires some significant work experience before you're ready to take this one, and that's not typical for 2-yr/4-yr programs.

Interesting! When I took CASP+, we didn't have that yet... Now I want to retake the exam :D
    It was an interesting feature for certain. Shouldn't be too hard a thing to do, but what I like about it is that doesn't dictate the steps you need to take to complete the exercise, much like how simulation style labs go. One of my criticisms in the past for TestOut products (some time ago mind you), was that I felt like there was only one way to do something in the lab, where in reality, there are "many roads to Rome", as it were.

I don't see a HUGE demand for CASP, but perhaps that will change with the new SecurityX designation.

I think it's not common to be taught at the 2-yr/undergrad level. It really requires some significant work experience before you're ready to take this one, and that's not typical for 2-yr/4-yr programs.
    Agree 100%. Personally, I believe Security+ should be the pinnacle of the 2-year experience. CySA+ and PenTest+ would be appropriate for the 4-year experience. I think bigger ticket exams like CASP and CISSP should be for the experienced professional - not just someone with an acumen for taking exams.

Agree 100%. Personally, I believe Security+ should be the pinnacle of the 2-year experience. CySA+ and PenTest+ would be appropriate for the 4-year experience. I think bigger ticket exams like CASP and CISSP should be for the experienced professional - not just someone with an acumen for taking exams.

CompTIA should enforce prerequisites. Validated work experience and/or prerequisite certifications.

CompTIA should enforce prerequisites. Validated work experience and/or prerequisite certifications.
    Validating work experience is a tall order. Those of us who are self-employed can generate whatever title and work experience/duration we choose. CompTIA should stick with candidate honesty. Also, the underwriting process can become so aggressive that candidates take their $$ elsewhere.

Validating work experience is a tall order. Those of us who are self-employed can generate whatever title and work experience/duration we choose. CompTIA should stick with candidate honesty. Also, the underwriting process can become so aggressive that candidates take their $$ elsewhere.

It's not that difficult. ISC2, ISACA, and PMI require validated work experience before a candidate can become certified. It doesn't seem to hurt their business.

Too many students are signing up for exams with no experience and inadequate preparation. They're being set up with unrealistic expectations that they can skip to the front of the line and (with minimal effort) land a six-figure starting salary because they crammed for a cert exam.