Planning for automatic renewal of certifications achieved

Hello everyone, everything good?

I have CompTIA A+, Network+ and Security+ certifications and in view of the growing number of certifications (as I intend to obtain more), I need to carry out planning to minimize costs and efforts for future renewals. For example, as soon as I took Security+, A+ and Network+ were automatically renewed. I also intend to obtain Linux+ and Cloud+ certifications, but I saw on the official page that the latter only has A+, Network+ and Linux+ certifications, leaving Security+ out. However, I also learned that non-CompTIA certifications can also be used to earn CE credits to renew equivalent CompTIA certifications (as I have AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate and Cisco CCNA and CyberOps).

In short, I intend to do the following:
  • Renew A+, Linux+ (which I'm still going to take) and Network+, by submitting to the Cloud+ exam;
  • Renew Security+, through Cisco CCNA CyberOps renewal (which I took almost 1 year after Security+).
If you can give me more tips and recommendations I would appreciate it! &;-D

Reference links:

Last edited:
Reactions: Joel M

Abu Afza

• Feb 24, 2023
    Toronto, Canada

I have CompTIA A+, Network+ and Security+ certifications and in view of the growing number of certifications (as I intend to obtain more), I need to carry out planning to minimize costs and efforts for future renewals. For example, as soon as I took Security+, A+ and Network+ were automatically renewed. I also intend to obtain Linux+ and Cloud+ certifications, but I saw on the official page that the latter only has A+, Network+ and Linux+ certifications, leaving Security+ out. However, I also learned that non-CompTIA certifications can also be used to earn CE credits to renew equivalent CompTIA certifications (as I have AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate and Cisco CCNA and CyberOps).

• Renew A+, Linux+ (which I'm still going to take) and Network+, by submitting to the Cloud+ exam;
    • Renew Security+, through Cisco CCNA CyberOps renewal (which I took almost 1 year after Security+).

Reference links:
    Thanks for sharing.

If you're doing the cybersecurity track, do the certifications in this order so each new one renews all the previous ones.

1, A+
    2. Network+
    3. Security+
    4. CySA+ or PenTest+
    5. PenTest+ or CySA+
    6. CASP+

CySA+ and PenTest+ are considered to be at the same level. Neither will automatically renew the other, but you can submit one to fulfill the CEUs for the other. It's a manual process, not automatic.

All the other higher level certs renew all previous lower level certs.

I passed all six of those exams in that order, and each new one renewed all the previous ones. Then I passed ISACA's CISM, which renewed my CASP+ and everything underneath it. I passed the CISSP last fall, so technically, I could use it to renew my CISM, my CASP+, and all the lower-level CompTIA certifications.

I have Data+. The only renewal paths for it are passing the next version, passing an authorized non-CompTIA data certification, or continuing education.

I also have Cloud+. I took the beta version for the next version of Cloud+ and am waiting for the results. If I pass, that cert is renewed for another three years.

Reference links:
    Interesting that you ask...
    The answer is already in the hyperlinks you provided. :unsure:

Got any specific question in mind?

Interesting that you ask...
    The answer is already in the hyperlinks you provided. :unsure:

Got any specific question in mind?
    Hi Jarrel,

This is my initial planning (and based on it, I believe I'm on the right track). However, other strategies (not so conventional) such as submitting to other certifications that, in addition to offering credits for renewing those I have already achieved, can deliver very interesting skills and abilities or even provide a unique combination! That's why I made this post. &;-D