Renew Certification

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    Hey Aldo:

You can only take and pass the same exam version once (obviously, if you fail it, you can retake it). This means if you took the CV0-002, you can only the CV0-003 exam. If you do take the next version of the cert, it will reset the clock for that cert for another three years.

/r

Reactions: Mandeep Singh

AldoTV

Jan 29, 2020
    Hey Aldo:

You can only take and pass the same exam version once (obviously, if you fail it, you can retake it). This means if you took the CV0-002, you can only the CV0-003 exam. If you do take the next version of the cert, it will reset the clock for that cert for another three years.

/r
    Thanks Rick,
    I have another question, I am a bit confused about CEU, the site does not clearly explain how to use them, there are no examples.
    I have some questions on my transcript as well:
    - what does "ce" mean within the certification title?
    - I have the "Network +" certification listed as obtained on Jan 18th, 2022 (complete with expiry date Mar 18th, 2025 and CE requirement met on Mar 18th, 2022) but I am unclear on why that is listed to last that long? Am I required to pay a fee? How and when would I be required to?
    I know this is quite a complex query, I would be grateful for any help you can provide!
    Best,
    Aldo

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    Hey Aldo:

So CE refers to "Continuing Education" - it is a distinction that contrasts the Good For Life (GFL) variant of CompTIA's certifications that ran out in 2011. Used to be that once certified, always certified. But CompTIA altered the rules to create an "expiring" certification and a program that allows folks to maintain their certifications through continuing education.

If you are using the CE program to maintain your certification, you do have to keep up with the CE fees. The way I understand it is the expiration date keeps moving downstream as you meet CEU requirements and pay the fees. Once you stop, the three year clock begins again. (if someone can correct me on this, please do, if I'm wrong)

I've personally never used the CEU program - I opt to test/retest every few years to keep current. The optimal plan is to take the CASP every few years which will refresh everything that has a CE designation (like Cloud+, as well as the Trifecta certs).

/r

AldoTV

Jan 29, 2020
    Hey Aldo:

So CE refers to "Continuing Education" - it is a distinction that contrasts the Good For Life (GFL) variant of CompTIA's certifications that ran out in 2011. Used to be that once certified, always certified. But CompTIA altered the rules to create an "expiring" certification and a program that allows folks to maintain their certifications through continuing education.

If you are using the CE program to maintain your certification, you do have to keep up with the CE fees. The way I understand it is the expiration date keeps moving downstream as you meet CEU requirements and pay the fees. Once you stop, the three year clock begins again. (if someone can correct me on this, please do, if I'm wrong)

I've personally never used the CEU program - I opt to test/retest every few years to keep current. The optimal plan is to take the CASP every few years which will refresh everything that has a CE designation (like Cloud+, as well as the Trifecta certs).

/r
    Many thanks Rick

Reactions: Rick Butler
    You only have to pay the CE fee(s) when you actually use that method to renew. You can wait until the third year, turn in all your CEUs and pay the full fee and you get extended. I've only done this once due to timing and to try it out. Like Rick, I normally just take a higher certs or the new version as the way to renew.

Lee

I passed the Cloud+ beta exam in October 2020, which means my certification expires in October 2023. The launch date of the exam wasn't until June 2021. Normally, I take the next version of an exam to renew my certification unless there is a higher level exam I can use instead. Unfortunately, there is no higher level CompTIA exam which renews the Cloud+. I supposed I could go the CEU route to renew my Cloud+ or earn a non-CompTIA certification to renew it.

That's the only downside I see to earning a certification through a beta exam. Unless the new version beta exam comes up before your certification expires, you must go a different route for renewing your certification.