Security+ CE & Training Sec+701

I think that depends heavily on who is hiring you to teach. In my situation, as a university professor who teaches Security+ bootcamp-style once a year, no I'm not required by my university to have passed the latest version of the exam. But I know others on contract work do have that stipulation.

Louis

Jan 19, 2020
Sydney - Australia
I teach for a CompTIA Gold Authorized Partner. My employer won't mind - I'm wondering if CompTIA has requirements for instructors to pass the 701 exam in order to teach it, or if they just need to hold the certification (the CE program is relatively new from what I understand so I haven't seen much documentation on this). However, I do see a lot of people within CIN talking about the TTT, vouchers and the 701 exam more than I would expect if they're on the CE program.

Reactions: Kwabena Fred

Nick Pierce

May 25, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
I’m a contract trainer for CompTIA and we do have the requirement to sit for the current exam before we can teach the current course. No CEU upgrades for us. Also my government contracts also have that stipulation from USASOC and Navy Red Team/NCDOC. Must sit for the current exam vice submitting CEU’s.
Sucks but it ensures you have seen the current format and have been certified on the current content.

All depends on your employer. UMGC and other colleges I’ve worked for only required that you maintain the cert. I prefer all instructors would be required to sit for the exams. I believe it maintains currency and also upholds the belief that I wouldn’t ask my students to do something I am not willing to do myself.

I have passed five versions of the Security+ exam and will take my sixth different version soon. Two of my Security+ certifications are Good For Life. CompTIA requires me to be certified in the latest version, as do several other clients.

Joel M

Aug 7, 2019
A a CIN member having gone through the TTT SY0-701 program, and received a voucher to take the new exam, it makes it much easier to upgrade our certs. Plus, as was mentioned earlier, we now have insight we couldn't otherwise have with out the training and taking the new exam. Beneficial however you look at it.