Server+ - Post-Peek thoughts

Well, since the Server+ Sneak Peek, I've been wondering on who's got plans to take the Server+. I'm also interested in drilling down into 1) if you genuinely think Server+ has industry value and 2) what kinds of preparations you're taking for your classrooms if you decide you might teach it. Hopefully, I'll get the opportunity to do the Train the Trainer as well - looking forward to that. In the meantime, I'd like to hear more about what your all's perspectives are.

/r

Hi Roger: Thanks for that. I think CompTIA wants the Server+ to be more than that, to layer atop the A+ for anyone who is working on servers on-prem.

As for repurposing servers, we send our retiring servers down the hall to the classroom when we take them out of production. Students really do enjoy actually building a server rack from the ground up, rather than just looking at hardware or playing around with a simulator.

/r

Teckkie2k

Jun 24, 2020
Atlanta, Ga.
Hi Roger: Thanks for that. I think CompTIA wants the Server+ to be more than that, to layer atop the A+ for anyone who is working on servers on-prem.

As for repurposing servers, we send our retiring servers down the hall to the classroom when we take them out of production. Students really do enjoy actually building a server rack from the ground up, rather than just looking at hardware or playing around with a simulator.

/r
Hey Rick

It has been in need of update, and I think it was about time - until the Coronapocalypse hit and it got pushed back a year, until CompTIA could figure out how to go forward.

I think Server+ falls in line with the same kind of exposure as other certs to the periphery of the main-line from ITF+ to CASP+, such as Cloud+, Linux+ and Project+. Capitalizing on the "vendor neutral" point has been the best way to get certs before people. Since servers are inherently vendor-centric, tagging it into A+ and Net+ a bit more may help with that marketing and exposure.

I agree with Lee's conclusions. With Microsoft server certifications at a questionable continued value, I believe there is a real opportunity to substantially leverage the value of the Server+ certification. With reference to Microsoft, the following quote from a Certification Magazine 2/28/20 article lends support for my concerns over value:

"The Microsoft certification team cemented its all-in commitment to role-based certification, flushing away the final remains of the previous long-running regime. As of June 30, there will no longer be any exams available for any MCSA, MCSD, or MCSE certifications. And in two years from June 30, all MCSA, MCSD, and MCSE certification will be officially deactivated."

Reactions: Lee McWhorter
With Microsoft server certifications at a questionable continued value, I believe there is a real opportunity to substantially leverage the value of the Server+ certification.
This is intriguing. Just to clarify, do you believe that Microsoft's push to create certs that are role-based rather than ones that look at technologies in their own right inherently decrease their value? Or am I misrepresenting your comment?

The one thing that is stark to me in the Microsoft world is how they are saying that certifications for on-prem solutions are no longer valuable, because Microsoft now is pushing everything to the cloud, almost like their belief is that if your servers are not in the cloud, your infrastructure is not "keeping with the times". In this case, I could see value because Server+ says, "Hey, all of you op-prem administrators who still have real servers, not virtual ones: we got your back."

Or am I off my rocker?

/r

Reactions: Tess Sluijter
As long as IssS remains a viable cloud service, we will need people who know how to manage a server's operating system. True the hardware aspects of server management, unless you are working for AWS/Microsoft/Google, is going to become less and less part of the job. All of this is food for thought. In a discussion yesterday with a colleague, I expressed concerns relative to my belief that the A+ certification needs to be reduced to a single exam, given that dated hardware vs. software distinction needs to disappear. It is discussions like these that I believe CIN participants can help guide where we and CompTIA are headed.

That's my $0.02 for today.........

Neither hardware or on-prem is going away any time soon regardless of cloud. We live in a hybrid world and will for some time I believe. Even in cloud you still have to know 'hardware' enough to allocate resources wisely. So as such I don't think your 'off you rocker' Rick. And Steve, I agree on A+ as even the Core I / II stuff didn't get rid of the hardware / software distinction which has always felt forced to me anyway.

Well, I'm not sure I think the A+ should be reduced to a single exam, because of how it's positioned in the industry as being that second step into the field for new initiates. CompTIA has benefitted with the stair step model to help students get into IT.

What I am not sure about is this move where the Security+ 601 is supposed to be on the same echelon level as CySA and PenTest (at least it's that way in terms of pricing now, per the last CAPP briefing).

/r

Sec+ is still on same level/place on the pathway, they have changed it's pricing up though. I don't see it as entry level given it is so far up the pathway, the entry security cert sure. It's isn't on same level with CySA+ or PenTest+ in difficulty or anything else but price.

Liz Wannemacher

VP Marketing @ CompTIA
Staff member
Jul 31, 2019
Chicago, Illinois
partners.comptia.org
While I think Server+ is a necessary cert, unfortunately, CompTIA doesn't market it properly. So it's relevance and importance is unclear.
In advance of the launch of Server+... I would like to get some feedback so we can market and reposition the value.

Reactions: Manu

Teckkie2k

Jun 24, 2020
Atlanta, Ga.
In advance of the launch of Server+... I would like to get some feedback so we can market and reposition the value.
Hey Liz, I'm impressed. A VP reading our post. Cool. First of all, Server+ is one of the only Vendor-Neutral Server Exam that actually is praised by the IT Server community. Take a moment to google Server+ and you will be amazed by the countless praises on multiple platforms. The only company that doesn't praise Server+ is CompTIA. Now to give credit, your team is great at marketing. A great example of this is Security+. Your team partnered with security vendors, experts, professionals, universities, instructors, and recruiters to promote countless seminars, videos, blog posts, social media campaigns, and events. The best I have seen!! Now all you have to do is wash, rinse, and repeat for Server+. The industry already sings Server+ praises, now it's time for your team to do the same. That's the confusion, the industry loves Server+ more than CompTIA does. To be honest with you, Rick Bulter has done more to promote Server+ than CompTIA has. (ok sorry I'll step down from my soapbox now)

Last edited:
Liz, thanks for joining the conversation. CompTIA's Server+ is well-positioned to take over where Microsoft disappeared, through its decision to effectively vacate this key area of certification coverage, resulting in retiring the MCSA and MCSE certifications. This vacancy in covering key KSAs for server administrators is evident when viewing Microsoft's chart of new certification paths.

Reactions: Lee McWhorter

Teckkie2k

Jun 24, 2020
Atlanta, Ga.
Liz, thanks for joining the conversation. CompTIA's Server+ is well-positioned to take over where Microsoft disappeared, through its decision to effectively vacate this key area of certification coverage, resulting in retiring the MCSA and MCSE certifications. This vacancy in covering key KSAs for server administrators is evident when viewing Microsoft's chart of new certification paths.
Good point Steve.