Usefulness of the N10-007 All-In-One book

James Carroll III

Oct 11, 2022
Greetings All,

I currently have a physical copy of the All In One CompTIA Network+ N10-007 book and wanted to get insight on it's usefulness although this version of the exam has retired. I'm a little "old school" so I'm accustomed to having a physical book and buying a new updated version is a little out of reach at the moment. Any advice, recommendations, etc is absolutely welcomed.

Thanks!

Abby N Krane

Jan 4, 2022
Cleveland, Ohio
Greetings All,

I currently have a physical copy of the All In One CompTIA Network+ N10-007 book and wanted to get insight on it's usefulness although this version of the exam has retired. I'm a little "old school" so I'm accustomed to having a physical book and buying a new updated version is a little out of reach at the moment. Any advice, recommendations, etc is absolutely welcomed.

Thanks
Personally, I'd get the new book. You don't want to try to prepare with old material and keep track of what is new vs old, what is on the exam vs what isn't. You are almost setting yourself up for failure. Just my 2 cents.

James Carroll III

Oct 11, 2022
Personally, I'd get the new book. You don't want to try to prepare with old material and keep track of what is new vs old, what is on the exam vs what isn't. You are almost setting yourself up for failure. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah, that was what I was leaning towards.. I just hate that I let the 007 go to waste... Thank you @Abby N Krane !!!

Reactions: Mallia
Yeah, that was what I was leaning towards.. I just hate that I let the 007 go to waste... Thank you @Abby N Krane !!!
In my own review of the 007 vs. 008, primarily the Transition Guide, I've estimated at least 20-25% of the exam content changed. Got into an argument on Reddit with Professor Messer on this topic (yep, for reals). Messer contends 40% based on quantitative analysis of objectives. I got to talk to Jason Dion at Summit - he figured around 25%. So, while I will say, if you can, get the 008 book, but if you cannot, then the 007 book is not a complete loss. In fact, I figure if you read the book twice through, then went through the 008 objectives, you'll end up in a good spot for 008.

If you look in the Resources area, you can pull up the old TTT's for 007 and the Deep Dive for the 008. That might also be very helpful if you're buffing up for 008.

Now you have my 2¢ , so with Abby, that's 4¢ - and hopefully that makes some sense. #dadjoke

/r

Jarrel

• Feb 17, 2020
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com
    Refer to the transition guide for further guidance.
    • While majority of concepts from 007 are still useful, be mindful that there are new content in 008 that are not in 007.
    • 008 also uses inclusive language whereas, 007 may still use the deprecated terms i.e. DMZ is now screened subnet
    • There are also content examples from 007 that are no longer in 008, i.e. TDMA

Attachments

• Transition Guide Network+ N10-007 to N10-008.pdf
      171.1 KB · Views: 3
    Refer to the transition guide for further guidance.
    • While majority of concepts from 007 are still useful, be mindful that there are new content in 008 that are not in 007.
    • 008 also uses inclusive language whereas, 007 may still use the deprecated terms i.e. DMZ is now screened subnet
    • There are also content examples from 007 that are no longer in 008, i.e. TDMA
    That's why one of the best gems that comes from CompTIA is that Transition Guide. We get that when we get the book, which is why I say, "download everything" first. It maps out things like:
    - What's in the new test that's not on the old one?
    - What's on the old test that's not on the new one?
    - What content has become its own objective and what objectives have been demoted to just content?

/r