VR Training

Do you feel that VR could increase training/certification in the Information Technology industry?

• Total voters

lmoreno

Jan 30, 2020
VR since its inception has been used for training. Recently, VR has started to become mainstream ever since Meta's metaverse goals. I was wondering, who feels as I do that its about time that VR is used in the IT industry. The closest was the Cisco CCIE Virtual Reality Experience that was an internal demo. I believe now that CompTIA is serious about their own training materials, it is ripe open for CompTIA to be first.

Jarrel

• Feb 17, 2020
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com
    Yes, we are interested to having AR/VR solutions too. We reckon that it will be good for remote/online class delivery.

One of the challenges that we find is the lack of skilled developers to create a viable solution, or if we get to find any, it is way above the allocated budget.

Then there's the question about the demand whether is it a profitable endeavour or not; or if at all that there's a demand, does the client got suitable gear in terms of specs - or should the school state the minimum required specs too given that there's heaps of different products in the market?

Thirdly, is the tech. What can AR/VR provide that our current remote teaching solutions don't? Immersive experience is one, but it would be better with tactile technology, or the ability to feel objects in a VR environment; it will be a good feature to have but it is still in the works. Yet again, there's cost to have tech features so we'll need to weigh the cost vs the gains.

Don't get me wrong. I support AR/VR, and I've worked on a few projects with a few clients already i.e. AR for tourism across various suburbs, VR for cyber immersion, and mixed AR/VR solution for health industry. It is great when the project is done with an enterprise where the client goes to the enterprise's office, or the enterprise brings the tech to the client. But if we do that for in-school delivery, ain't it better to then just do a hands-on lab?

Overall, I agree - VR is great for training, and is ideal even for the IT industry. Just ain't sure with it's marketability in current times, for school delivery.
    As for the school that I am currently at, we already got AR/VR for demonstrations, but we'll probably just have to wait for a little while for AR/VR class delivery.

I agree that AR/VR is more widely available but I would hardly classify it as mainstream. During the pandemic, we finally converted millions of people to remote work from home, even though it has been around for more than a decade. It will be years before AR/VR is a mainstream options.

Reactions: Julie H.
    I agree that AR/VR is more widely available but I would hardly classify it as mainstream. During the pandemic, we finally converted millions of people to remote work from home, even though it has been around for more than a decade. It will be years before AR/VR is a mainstream options.
    I tend to agree with Greg here, but I think it will be more about Augmented Reality, rather than Virtual Reality. To me, that would be more usable than VR anyway, to be honest.

lmoreno

Jan 30, 2020
    VR since its inception has been used for training. Recently, VR has started to become mainstream ever since Meta's metaverse goals. I was wondering, who feels as I do that its about time that VR is used in the IT industry. The closest was the Cisco CCIE Virtual Reality Experience that was an internal demo. I believe now that CompTIA is serious about their own training materials, it is ripe open for CompTIA to be first.
    I greatly appreciate the feedback. I wholeheartedly agree that in-person/physical is the right way to go. I am just 'thinking out loud' in approaches with remote students of mine and in general how we can better train students if equipment access is an issue even for schools that cant provide all aspects across industries. I also wanted to point this out to CompTIA since they are now being proactive on the education side. Thanks!