Want some free training?

So, one of the things that I've had to do in the change of company directive has been to start learning and integrating our network to FortiNet technology.

So if you go out to https://training.fortinet.com and sign up for a free account, you can latch onto some free training, if you want to expand your horizons when studying for things in the CompTIA security track. Granted it's ALL vendor-driven, however, the way that they present the training is, at least as far as NSE 1-3 is concerned (haven't got that far yet), is conceptual, before rolling out what FortiProduct they have to answer the requirement. I don't know (probably not) if you can use the training in a classroom situation, but I think it's well built. Most of it is SCORM - some of it is more wow-video driven.

And if you're using FortiNet products or plan to in the future, it's probably a foregone conclusion to avail one-self of that training.

I think one can get the images from the FortiNet support site in order to stand up virtual appliances for training purposes - I haven't tried this yet, but it may be a good little exercise for those GNS3 environments we all built last year with @Lee McWhorter.

What free training do you know is out there that might be beneficial for the CIN? Post below!

Back to my FortiTraining. And no, I've not given up on any CompTIA certs I'm working on. But sometimes, things just jump onto one's plate...

/r

Jarrel

• Feb 17, 2020
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com
    So, one of the things that I've had to do in the change of company directive has been to start learning and integrating our network to FortiNet technology.

So if you go out to https://training.fortinet.com and sign up for a free account, you can latch onto some free training, if you want to expand your horizons when studying for things in the CompTIA security track. Granted it's ALL vendor-driven, however, the way that they present the training is, at least as far as NSE 1-3 is concerned (haven't got that far yet), is conceptual, before rolling out what FortiProduct they have to answer the requirement. I don't know (probably not) if you can use the training in a classroom situation, but I think it's well built. Most of it is SCORM - some of it is more wow-video driven.

And if you're using FortiNet products or plan to in the future, it's probably a foregone conclusion to avail one-self of that training.

I think one can get the images from the FortiNet support site in order to stand up virtual appliances for training purposes - I haven't tried this yet, but it may be a good little exercise for those GNS3 environments we all built last year with @Lee McWhorter.

What free training do you know is out there that might be beneficial for the CIN? Post below!

Back to my FortiTraining. And no, I've not given up on any CompTIA certs I'm working on. But sometimes, things just jump onto one's plate...

/r
    I've done the Fortinet NSE 1 and 2 but still need to do the third one. After 3, the training becomes much more vendor specific and they start charging for it. Overall, it's an interesting model. Free lower level fundamentals training and paid higher level vendor specific training. Plus, the quality of their stuff is top notch.

Splunk offers some free training as well.

My advice is that any training can be useful. You never know if your role may change one day. Even if you remain in training, it's still a good idea to become more knowledgeable about different trends in information technology, cybersecurity, artificial intelligence, machine learning, programming, etc..

It's also a good idea to become more knowledgeable about different vendor services. Until last month, I was working for Devo, a cloud-native SIEM/SOAR/MDR/Threat Hunting company. Since then, I've done a ton of webinars and local cybersecurity conferences. I've done online training for Fortinet, Elastic, Splunk, AWS, and a few others. I'm also ramping up on CompTIA's Linux+ and (ISC)2's CISSP. I'm constantly challenging myself to learn more so that I can do more.

My advice is that any training can be useful. You never know if your role may change one day. Even if you remain in training, it's still a good idea to become more knowledgeable about different trends in information technology, cybersecurity, artificial intelligence, machine learning, programming, etc..

...I'm constantly challenging myself to learn more so that I can do more.
    This.

/r

Reactions: Eddy Harden

Patrick Asamago

Oct 2, 2021

/r
    Wao, thank you Rick

Reactions: Jarrel