When to switch to teaching new exam revision?

Brian Callahan

• Feb 4, 2022
    Troy, NY
    briancallahan.net
    Hi all --

I have 4 students taking the Security+ this semester. I am going to have them all take the 601, since they will all be done long before July. A primary factor for my decision is that our university purchases Skillsoft/Percipio as our employee learning platform (which all students have access to as well), and all the Security+ materials on there are 601 materials (video courses, AIO textbook, Sybex textbook). But it does not necessarily follow this this is the best decision, just perhaps the most convenient one.

I was wondering what factors you all use to determine when to make the switch to teaching a new exam revision.

Abby N Krane

Jan 4, 2022
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Hi all --

I have 4 students taking the Security+ this semester. I am going to have them all take the 601, since they will all be done long before July. A primary factor for my decision is that our university purchases Skillsoft/Percipio as our employee learning platform (which all students have access to as well), and all the Security+ materials on there are 601 materials (video courses, AIO textbook, Sybex textbook). But it does not necessarily follow this this is the best decision, just perhaps the most convenient one.

I was wondering what factors you all use to determine when to make the switch to teaching a new exam revision.
    Because of the materials, you don't really have a choice. If the 701 materials were available, I'd definitely do those. Do you know for sure they will be taking their exams before July?

Michael Schmitz

Aug 9, 2021
    Germany
    www.linkedin.com
    Our semester ends in early May. They will fail my course if they don't take exam before the end of the semester.
    Take the exam (and fail) or take the exam (and pass)? Sorry, two different things.
    If they need to pass the Exam before may, you are fine. They have until july to take the old version.
    i like to switch earlier to the new version.
    What you could do is to the old Version and add the new stuff as overview in 2-4hours, so they know what is there new..

That is what i would do.

Brian Callahan

• Feb 4, 2022
    Troy, NY
    briancallahan.net
    Take the exam (and fail) or take the exam (and pass)? Sorry, two different things.

Not for me. I have a very rich understanding of my security students; most of them are with me every single day as they work for me in my research lab and then also are in classes with me. I know them not simply as students but as the people they are. If on rare event one of them fails a certification exam, I already know what they know and don't know. They will also come to me, even with tail between their legs, and talk to me.

I want them to get the Security+ because they apply to (or already have) internships and jobs that want it. I'm not interested in punishing them for failing it. And they know that too.

If they need to pass the Exam before may, you are fine. They have until july to take the old version.
    i like to switch earlier to the new version.
    What you could do is to the old Version and add the new stuff as overview in 2-4hours, so they know what is there new..

That is what i would do.

This makes a lot of sense to me to do, once they take their exams. Thanks.

Last edited:
    Thanks! This was my thinking too. But alas, no 701 materials yet :(

There are plenty of 701 materials. CompTIA CertMaster is already out for 701. I used them to teach a class last month. There are several 701 exam prep books on Amazon as well.

There are plenty of 701 materials. CompTIA CertMaster is already out for 701. I used them to teach a class last month. There are several 701 exam prep books on Amazon as well.
    True, I did pre-order the Sybex book from Amazon and received it a few weeks ago.
    got done teaching my first 701 course and would definitely say that if you are teaching the 701 course, have students take the 701 exam. If you are still teaching 601 then have students take the 601 exam.

Michael Schmitz

Aug 9, 2021
    Germany
    www.linkedin.com
    Not for me.
    I am no english native speaker. But to take exam does not include passing it.
    google also translate it with: Sit an Exam. (which is not passing it)

It is the same someone says: I attended University or College. It does not include finishing it and recieve an Degree.
    You could leave it after one Day or one day before the final Exam and still say: i went to university...

But that may only be my lack of understanding the nuances of the engl. language.

Michael

I did not mean there are no 701 materials. I meant there are no 701 materials on our employee learning platform.