WHERE IS THE IT INDUSTRY GOING?

From your professional opinion, what are your thoughts on my question below?:

Discuss the diverse and evolving nature of the IT industry, including various sectors and career opportunities.
The IT or Information Technology industry continues to evolve and grow in many interesting ways.

One of the most interesting features in the evolution of IT is the evolution defining what information is and how information is captured, stored and accessed. Information is often based on data. As IT evolves more data is identified and becomes available to be collected and processed.

An example of this is something that I and many others wear on our wrists each day; a smart watch. The smart watch collects data about the subject wearing it. Data that just a few short years ago might have required a visit to a hospital or Doctors office. The medical IT sector has the opportunity to use this information to simplify and enhance medical diagnostics. Doctors won't go away; but they will have access to more and potentially better information to make thee diagnoses. Tremendous opportunities exist to take this information and preset it and make it usable for more people of varying backgrounds.

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    Doctors won't go away; but they will have access to more and potentially better information to make thee diagnoses. Tremendous opportunities exist to take this information and preset it and make it usable for more people of varying backgrounds.
    Is this before or after AI takes over healthcare? :unsure:

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
    Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    From your professional opinion, what are your thoughts on my question below?:

Discuss the diverse and evolving nature of the IT industry, including various sectors and career opportunities.
    This is a great question, and I look forward to all the feedback! I agree with the comments so far that this industry will not go away. Technology, like The Force, is everywhere, it surrounds us and penetrates us, it binds the galaxy together. Even car mechanics are evolving into IT technicians. IOT and AI are game changers, however, I see these technologies as driving forces for the IT industry and the need for more qualified technicians, engineers, and developers. Tech-related job skills will grow in demand for quite some time.

Reactions: Angel Waymer
    Is this before or after AI takes over healthcare? :unsure:
    Artificial Intelligence is great but it requires some developed body of knowledge and continual samples to work. In the future I'm sure that an AI based system will analyze and report on my blood samples from yearly physicals. But that system will base it's findings on years of analyses that labs and doctors performed AND those AI generated results will likely be double or triple checked. Now there is no saying that those checks will be completed by people or machines.

I would say after, at this point. The integration of AI is a game changer, as you know. What are your thoughts?
    AI will do a lot of the repetitive, time-consuming grunt work like all automation, but that will free up humans for more "high value" work.