CA1-005: CompTIA SecurityX Certification Beta Exam

Gregory Childers

Oct 22, 2019
Safety Harbor, FL
www.linkedin.com
PearsonVue has the CA1-005: CompTIA SecurityX Certification Beta Exam listed under "Other exams." When I attempted to register for it, it stated "Scheduling for this exam will begin in the future." Apparently, registration doesn't start until May 17, 2024.

My current CASP+ doesn't expire until 2028 because I used my CISM to renew it, so I don't need it right away. Plus, I'm an Adjunct Instructor for CompTIA so I can get a free voucher when the exam goes live. I'm posting this so that others can take advantage of the beta exam.

Matthew Browne

• May 14, 2021
    Ireland
    www.journeytothecloud.ie
    PearsonVue has the CA1-005: CompTIA SecurityX Certification Beta Exam listed under "Other exams." When I attempted to register for it, it stated "Scheduling for this exam will begin in the future." Apparently, registration doesn't start until May 17, 2024.

My current CASP+ doesn't expire until 2028 because I used my CISM to renew it, so I don't need it right away. Plus, I'm an Adjunct Instructor for CompTIA so I can get a free voucher when the exam goes live. I'm posting this so that others can take advantage of the beta exam.
    @Gregory Childers it's important that anyone who currently has CASP+ will automatically get upgraded to SecurityX , Just an FYI for anyone who has already obtained CASP+.

Fair Play though for letting others know.

If we do well on the beta exam, will that serve as qualification for the production exam?

Gregory Childers

Oct 22, 2019
    Safety Harbor, FL
    www.linkedin.com
    Yes. If you pass a beta exam, you get the full cert.
    The only issue with taking a beta exam is that you don't know the results immediately as you do with the live exam.

I took the Cloud+ beta exam in February and I'm still waiting on the results.

Reactions: jarrelrivera

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    Sep 12, 2023
    The only issue with taking a beta exam is that you don't know the results immediately as you do with the live exam.

I took the Cloud+ beta exam in February and I'm still waiting on the results.
    Same and waiting on the dataX beta results, too. Tempted to do the SecX since I’ve got a year left on my CASP

Matthew Browne

• May 14, 2021
    Ireland
    www.journeytothecloud.ie
    As Someone who holds the currents Casp+ and has taken the new SecurityX , I can certainly say it was a diffrent exam , without giving two much away due to NDA it's definetly worth taking the Beta exam.

I think.the new exam speaks for itself. Definetly more difficult , very modern , more focused on real life scenarios , and they finally got rid of the glitches the previous exam had.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1716081694234.jpg
      FB_IMG_1716081694234.jpg
      55.6 KB · Views: 16

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
    the Netherlands
    unixerius.nl
    This morning I woke way too early to take CompTIA's CA1-005 SecurityX beta.

118 questions and I used two hours (out of the three allotted). I thought the invite said four hours max, but
    🤷🏻‍♀️
    . I thought the MC questions were mostly pretty good, only a very small amount of stinkers. The PBQ weren't that exciting though, could've been more.

One thing that stands out: CAS-004 was the first CompTIA exam to introduce a PBQ in a real Linux virtual machine. CA1-005 has removed all of the Linux commands from the objectives, which suggests that CompTIA decided to kill that particular subject and the VM PBQ. I for one did not encounter the VM at all.

All in all, is the CASP+ / SecurityX a competent, more technical alternative to CISSP? I think it's not far off! Now the problem to tackle is brandname recognition.

Gregory Childers

Oct 22, 2019
    Safety Harbor, FL
    www.linkedin.com
    This morning I woke way too early to take CompTIA's CA1-005 SecurityX beta.

118 questions and I used two hours (out of the three allotted). I thought the invite said four hours max, but
    🤷🏻‍♀️
    . I thought the MC questions were mostly pretty good, only a very small amount of stinkers. The PBQ weren't that exciting though, could've been more.

One thing that stands out: CAS-004 was the first CompTIA exam to introduce a PBQ in a real Linux virtual machine. CA1-005 has removed all of the Linux commands from the objectives, which suggests that CompTIA decided to kill that particular subject and the VM PBQ. I for one did not encounter the VM at all.

All in all, is the CASP+ / SecurityX a competent, more technical alternative to CISSP? I think it's not far off! Now the problem to tackle is brandname recognition.
    I thought the PBQs on the Cloud+ left a lot to be desired. Is it possible that CompTIA is having challenges developing these types of questions?

If the new SecurityX has removed the Linus commands and the VM PBQ, it sounds like a simpler exam than the previous version. Can you think of anything memorable that was added to it?

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
    the Netherlands
    unixerius.nl
    Is it possible that CompTIA is having challenges developing these types of questions?
    Well, they themselves have always said that PBQ are the best way to protect against cheating, while also saying that PBQs are hard and expensive to create.

If the new SecurityX has removed the Linus commands and the VM PBQ, it sounds like a simpler exam than the previous version. Can you think of anything memorable that was added to it?
    Well, I'm not allowed to discuss what was on the exam, am I? :D I could only safely state that the Linux commands will not be tested, because they are not on the objectives which CompTIA themselves posted.

I posted a documented (a few posts above here) which compares the CA1-005 objectives to CAS-004. The exam I took this morning was pretty much on point with the objectives and the changes you see in that document.

Gregory Childers

Oct 22, 2019
    Safety Harbor, FL
    www.linkedin.com
    Well, I'm not allowed to discuss what was on the exam, am I? :D I could only safely state that the Linux commands will not be tested, because they are not on the objectives which CompTIA themselves posted.

I posted a documented (a few posts above here) which compares the CA1-005 objectives to CAS-004. The exam I took this morning was pretty much on point with the objectives and the changes you see in that document.
    6ad5b6b2bc43393bc333151146d9d189.png

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
    the Netherlands
    unixerius.nl
    Good Morning All,

Is the beta exam still available? I was trying to find a direct link to it, but I can't seem to find one on either PV or the CompTIA site.

Cheers,

James
    It went live last Friday, yeah it's still available 😄

Login at Comptia.org, go to "Schedule an exam", this takes you to the PearsonVue portal. In the exam catalog search for "beta" and you will see both CA1-005 and PT1-003.

It went live last Friday, yeah it's still available 😄

Login at Comptia.org, go to "Schedule an exam", this takes you to the PearsonVue portal. In the exam catalog search for "beta" and you will see both CA1-005 and PT1-003.
    Thanks Tess,

I had got to this page on PV but there wasn't a registration link. I'll follow your route.