CloudNetX draft objectives--thoughts?

Jill West

• Sep 13, 2019
    Dalton, GA
    Looks like CompTIA has posted the first draft of the CloudNetX objectives. :happydance: :geek: In case you missed the link in the TTT the other day, here's where you can get drafts of exam objectives:

So what do you think of CloudNetX? Personally, I'm excited about it! I'm also wondering if it's enough of a jump beyond Cloud+. Thoughts?

jlyon

• Mar 3, 2022
    Oklahoma
    I passed their first version of Cloud+ 001 and thought it was a great exam, instead of studying for 003 I will wait for this version as its around the Corner. CloudnetX looks very interesting and with alot of teeth for sure. I wonder thought if this is one exam that can't be simply taught in the classroom with out industry involvement but only pass with experience alone. I am sure it will be as hard or harder then CASP+.

Last edited:
    Looks like CompTIA has posted the first draft of the CloudNetX objectives. :happydance: :geek: In case you missed the link in the TTT the other day, here's where you can get drafts of exam objectives:
    Happy-dance?

I'm going for this one:

So what do you think of CloudNetX? Personally, I'm excited about it! I'm also wondering if it's enough of a jump beyond Cloud+. Thoughts?
    Looks like an amalgam of Cloud+ and Network+, but heavier on the Network+ side, at first glance. So if you've taken those exams, I can't see CloudNetX being an additional challenge. It's a good first stab, as I can see.

The part that would really make this exam better isn't something that CompTIA could do - that is, performance knowledge on how to build VNETs in Azure or AWS. I can see this in the training, but the thing about Cloud is that to 'go beyond', crosses that line into specific products - which CompTIA may be either unable or unwilling to do.

/r

Jill West

• Sep 13, 2019
    Dalton, GA
    The part that would really make this exam better isn't something that CompTIA could do - that is, performance knowledge on how to build VNETs in Azure or AWS. I can see this in the training, but the thing about Cloud is that to 'go beyond', crosses that line into specific products - which CompTIA may be either unable or unwilling to do.

/r

They addressed this concern in one of the Partner Summit sessions--there was a comment along the lines of, "The X exams won't be vendor-neutral so much as they'll be vendor-agnostic." I know we typically use those terms interchangeably, but I think the point they were making is that, instead of avoiding vendor-specific language, they would incorporate vendor-specific language from multiple vendors.

ETA: And yes, I didn't see much beyond what's already covered in Net+ and Cloud+, it's more of a blending of the two. I'm hoping for more advanced cloud skills.

They addressed this concern in one of the Partner Summit sessions--there was a comment along the lines of, "The X exams won't be vendor-neutral so much as they'll be vendor-agnostic." I know we typically use those terms interchangeably, but I think the point they were making is that, instead of avoiding vendor-specific language, they would incorporate vendor-specific language from multiple vendors.
    Well, I hope we see some of that on the exams. But that also opens up a brand-new can o' worms. If CompTIA starts adding objectives of how to do things or understand technology within a product sphere, there has to be some method to actually training on it.

Cloud technologies have been a bit more of a challenge for students. For example to get those hands-on skills in using MSFT Azure, you either have to have a production one to play with - which is limiting because you can't just, willy-nilly, take a service offline to 'play'. You can provision your own cloud environment to spin up services, however, if you don't have certain licensing levels (A1/A3/A5, for example, you can't dig into all the goodies that Azure has to offer. And, unless something has changed, isn't a Credit Card required to set up an environment - and you have to use a different account each time, which incurs ongoing cost.

Of course, getting something like that for free isn't really practical for MSFT or Amazon, so there's still that paradox.

CompTIA has pretty much stayed out of all that for obvious reasons. But they may have to address this if they want CloudNetX to mean something more than just the amalgam that we're both seeing.

jlyon

• Mar 3, 2022
    Oklahoma
    Well, I hope we see some of that on the exams. But that also opens up a brand-new can o' worms. If CompTIA starts adding objectives of how to do things or understand technology within a product sphere, there has to be some method to actually training on it.

Cloud technologies have been a bit more of a challenge for students. For example to get those hands-on skills in using MSFT Azure, you either have to have a production one to play with - which is limiting because you can't just, willy-nilly, take a service offline to 'play'. You can provision your own cloud environment to spin up services, however, if you don't have certain licensing levels (A1/A3/A5, for example, you can't dig into all the goodies that Azure has to offer. And, unless something has changed, isn't a Credit Card required to set up an environment - and you have to use a different account each time, which incurs ongoing cost.

Of course, getting something like that for free isn't really practical for MSFT or Amazon, so there's still that paradox.

CompTIA has pretty much stayed out of all that for obvious reasons. But they may have to address this if they want CloudNetX to mean something more than just the amalgam that we're both seeing.
    Anything deeper I feel you would just go ahead and get certified on that Practice area you are trying to master. Just my 2 cents

Since they are putting an X at the end of the name, I think it will be the most advanced certification in that track :rolleyes:.

Thanks for sharing

Reactions: Jill West