• We will be shutting down for a brief period of time on 9/24 at around 8 AM CST to perform necessary software updates and maintenance; please plan accordingly!

Instructor Toolbox Poll: What Browser?

When teaching or training others I most often use this web browser:

• Google Chrome.

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • Microsoft Edge.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Mozilla Firefox.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Something else.

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BrianFord

Jun 26, 2023
Flagler Beach, FL
fordsnotes.com
Over several months in 2024 I will be conducting a series of polls of the CompTIA Instructor Network (CIN) Community. Participation is completely voluntary and based on the assumption that respondents are Instructors (i.e. members of CIN). My goal in conducting these polls is to compile data about how Instructors work. Each poll will have a simple question and be conducted over 14 days. At the end of each month, I will disclose the poll results to the CIN Community. From time to time, I will publish summaries containing data gathered in the series.

Reactions: jarrelrivera

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    Interesting question, however, what about folks, myself included who use multiple? I am a fan of Firefox and use it a lot, however, there are several tools, such as ON24 that simply work better in Chrome. So I would have to reply, well I use Firefox and Chrome. 🤷‍♂️

Gregory Childers

Oct 22, 2019
    Safety Harbor, FL
    www.linkedin.com
    Interesting question, however, what about folks, myself included who use multiple? I am a fan of Firefox and use it a lot, however, there are several tools, such as ON24 that simply work better in Chrome. So I would have to reply, well I use Firefox and Chrome. 🤷‍♂️
    I use different browsers for different purposes. I use Chrome for work-related activities and Firefox for personal-related activities.

An interesting side effect of doing this is getting completely different advertisements from each browser.

jarrelrivera

Aug 15, 2019
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com
    I answered "something else" co'z it's really a mix of various browsers.
    • A+ requires familiarity of Internet Explorer, Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari.
    • Sec+, CySa+, Pentest+, CASP+ and Linux+ use Linux a lot, hence the browsers used are Firefox and/or Chromium.
      • where Windows VM is needed, then Edge, IE or Chrome is used.
    • Network+ can be taught on any major browsers, i.e. Chrome and Firefox.
    • In my review sessions, I use Brave.

Reactions: MBA

jarrelrivera

Aug 15, 2019
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com
    Microsoft Edge is everywhere but it doesnt mean it is the prefered choice (sorry Microsofties). Much like with internet explorer. It is there from the start you install a windows OS, but after installation, majority of users would opt to install a different browser like Chrome or Firefox among others.

We keep Edge and IE, not because we like them, but because Windows will start to get buggy if we try to uninstall them (if at all that you get to remove them).

Jul 31, 2024
    Microsoft Edge is everywhere for me, including all the devices mentioned previously. The only exceptions are ComodoDragon or extra tasks. IE is long dead and should not be used by any users in an area. Yes, Edge is implemented by default, but as a different (almost sideloaded) app, you can easily uninstall it at the beginning. That is a repercussion of the decision of the Court in EU and Digital Market ac (but only for EEA):

"related to the EU’s Digital Markets Act, which comes into effect in March 2024. Platforms like Windows will be required to meet a slew of interoperability and competition rules, including allowing users “to easily un-install pre-installed apps or change default settings on operating systems, virtual assistants, or web browsers that steer them to the products and services of the gatekeeper and provide choice screens for key services.”

Other OSs take the same approach when I install them, e.g., Ubuntu with GUI, when I get the browser installed by default. Not only does MS have this approach, but other OS providers in EEA are also forced to do exactly the same.