Linux+ 005 beta?

I can't seem to find the new XK0-005 exam objectives on the CompTIA site anywhere (full disclosure: I have not had my third coffee this morning yet).

But, on the Linux+ page on the main CompTIA site, I really really like the description under the new exam:
The new version of CompTIA Linux+ covers an evolving job role that focuses more on how Linux powers the cloud. The exam includes cutting edge technologies that help automate and orchestrate business processes, including infrastructure as code and containers.

This is basically my world these past 6 years - and many of my students end up in some job where:
a) They are doing some sort of administration where part of their job involves managing Linux VMs or containers (on-prem/cloud)
b) They are doing specialized administration (e.g. SQL) on Linux VMs or containers (on-prem/cloud)
c) They are managing on-prem/cloud Linux VMs/containers as their entire job with a ton of IaC automation
d) They are helping create and maintain a devops workflow involving on-prem/cloud containers (staging & prod), which is an incredibly diverse area that most Linux admins eventually gravitate to anyways in some capacity

On a personal note, I always take 1-2 projects outside of academia each year (either development, IT systems architecting, or both). I'm currently developing a cloud workflow for a Waterloo startup (hybrid using hosted K8s that deploys to both hosted and local x64/aarch64 nodes), as well as developing software that integrates the data within a local Ceph storage cluster with hosted/brokered object storage for a different Waterloo startup. And once I finish setting up these systems, I get them to hire my students who are Linux+ certified because they all know Linux, Git, docker, VMs and vi (a vi-able skill).

Reactions: Tess Sluijter
OK - I managed to find the new objectives (different part of the site I wasn't looking at).

The objectives are flat-out excellent. I first noticed that the concepts and topics are much clearer, and legacy concepts are now gone. There really isn't anything I can think of that's missing - or anything that I think is irrelevant. And it's organized incredibly well (the troubleshooting section is excellent).

Honestly, this is going to be an excellent certification for any Linux admin, or any admin that works with Linux, or any developer that works with Linux (which is most developers today). It touches upon all of the key areas I'd like to see in a single Linux cert, which is something no other Linux certification vendor does (they always spread it out across many different certs).

Reactions: Tess Sluijter

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
the Netherlands
www.kilala.nl
I just finished the exam, I needed 1h45m to get through all questions and to review a few. I *did* experience 5-10min delay because OnVue on MacOS sucks and crashes.

All in all: XK0-005 was a lot harder than XK0-004. In some areas I would state that the questions were *too hard*: they were beyond what you'd expect someone in their first year of Linux sysadmin to know. Content-wise it's on par with RHCSA, I would dare say.

Reactions: jasoneckert

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
the Netherlands
www.kilala.nl
@Stephen Schneiter , do we know if the Comments button/popup on the beta-exam is text that is shown to CompTIA? Because I keep entering feedback for questions, hoping they end up with your company. :)

If not, then here's one big QA/QC issue: the PBQ I had with the simulated terminal had an issue insofar that the problem cannot be solved.

The Linux+ beta is up! For $50 you will get to take the exam and get fully certified if you pass.

Login at PearsonVue as if you'd normally schedule your exam. When searching for Linux+, you will also find the 005 beta.

113ish questions and the benefit of an extended timer - 165 minutes. Exam will be available until February 18, 2022

EDIT:

The objectives can be downloaded from the official Linux+ page. I hope to make a comparison soon.

OH YES! The new objectives have a whole block dedicated to PKI, certificates and managing TLS etc. This makes me happy! :D

I wanted to discuss Jason and my wishlists, but I just noticed that we're not allowed to, there's an embargo.
I'm signed up for it as well! I'm looking forward to taking a crack at it.

MNomadic

Sep 1, 2021
Also, from what I understand, once you become an SME, you are limited in anything else you can do, like webinars, TTTs, and what not. They also don't like to use instructors as SMEs, mostly just industry folks. 🤷‍♂️

Just my opinion.
I'm curious if SMEs are limited in all capacities or just the ones related to your SME subject? Example: say someone teaches security+ topics only but applies to be an SME for something like ITF+? Would that work as they're not directly related?

Michael Schmitz

Aug 9, 2021
Germany
www.linkedin.com
I'm curious if SMEs are limited in all capacities or just the ones related to your SME subject? Example: say someone teaches security+ topics only but applies to be an SME for something like ITF+? Would that work as they're not directly related?
As i did understand it, it is limited to that specific Course Version. Since the SME are involved designing Exam Questions and Exam Content. For that, the goal is to avoid, that these Persons get in conflict with the NDA and release information about these for creating additional Content.
so, if you are an SME for Sec+, you still can teach ITF.

I would like to be part of selection of Content (not Exam ) for the Courseware, Slides and Exam Objectives (a+/n+), because the quality there is decreasing, to much content in to short time to teach. That seams to be missed by the Industry Experts, who want their Buzz Words listed as Content, so it sounds it covers everything in 5 Days.
But i can be wrong with the Reasoning for the SME Selection.

Michael

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
the Netherlands
www.kilala.nl
*By accessing the beta exam objectives, you, as an authorized representative on behalf of your organization, agree to maintain confidentiality and not publicly distribute or discuss the objectives in any written or spoken format, including but not limited to the sale of any pre-orders of content relating to this exam, until the expiration of the embargo on April 13, 2022.
Man, that embargo's a thorn in my side. :censored:

I really want to discuss the objectives with fellow trainers and with students! :D

In the meantime I have completed my comparison of the 004-vs-005 objectives in a spreadsheet (and PDF). At least this gives me a chance to easily update my slide deck, for my next training group.

Also, from what I understand, once you become an SME, you are limited in anything else you can do, like webinars, TTTs, and what not. They also don't like to use instructors as SMEs, mostly just industry folks. 🤷‍♂️

Just my opinion.
What about trainers who don't teach CompTIA topics? I left a career where I taught CompTIA, Microsoft, PMI, and other vendor certifications to work for a company where I teach their proprietary platform. If instructors aren't teaching CompTIA courses, can they be SMEs?

Michael Schmitz

Aug 9, 2021
Germany
www.linkedin.com
What about trainers who don't teach CompTIA topics? I left a career where I taught CompTIA, Microsoft, PMI, and other vendor certifications to work for a company where I teach their proprietary platform. If instructors aren't teaching CompTIA courses, can they be SMEs?
Seems possible. Give it a shot and apply..

Michael