Proctoring Issues

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    Has anyone else heard that with so many problems with Pearson OnVUE, CompTIA might be looking to go elsewhere for proctoring?
    Over the last few years, since OnVUE came out to address testing in the light of the pandemic, I've heard of a number of concerns. Mostly, either the test messes up in the middle or the proctor cites a candidate for the most benign of offenses (looking away from the monitor, mouthing the question while reading, or the like) which causes a candidate to lose their voucher - or have to fight intensely to retest. I certainly understand the concern with protecting the integrity of the exams - with different proctoring agents, however, enforcement of guidelines can become quite inconsistent.

Personally, I have never taken an exam through OnVUE and I can't figure that I ever will. Having a test center in the school or using a center nearby my home is very convenient for me - I don't have to try to make a sterile environment for testing. I do know that not everyone has these kinds of options, being many miles away from the closest test center - so I certainly cannot speak for anyone else about OnVUE. In theory, it's a great service - but I'd certainly be upset if I was testing OnVUE and my test was cancelled because of something silly.

Getting a different proctor would be pretty tough for CompTIA to actually do - there just aren't that many proctors out there. Pearson VUE and Certiport are the two most common with mature enough delivery platforms to make it work well - and it has for decades. I certainly have not heard that CompTIA is looking to move away from PearsonVUE - it would be a pretty major thing indeed for that to happen.

At best, I can visualize CompTIA developing their own platform for test delivery, but that would be a stretch, methinks.

/r

I have taken a dozen CompTIA exams online using OnVue since the pandemic started. I've taken OnVue for other certification exams as well.

I've never had any significant problems. One time, a proctor claimed to have lost my webcam feed. The proctor rebooted my exam and everything went fine after that. Other than that, all of my OnVue exams have run flawlessly.

The vast majority of complaints I've seen were from people who didn't follow or read the rules. If someone gets out of the webcam view, that's a violation. If they lip-read each question, that's a violation. I've heard cases of people not being allowed to test because they were wearing headphones. Headphones are not allowed. You must have working speakers. I saw a case of another tester who thought they could take the exam on a tablet, which they could not. In almost all cases, testers had their exams canceled because they didn't follow the rules. That's on them, not Pearson Vue.

My nearest test center is ten miles away in Tampa Bay traffic. A better option is to walk into my home office, which I use to teach remote classes, and sign in to test remotely using OnVue. All I have to do before signing into the exam is remove the secondary monitor and clean off my desktop surface. Easy peasy.

ISC2 does not allow online testing. I had to drive to a test center more than 20 miles away to take my CISSP. It took me an hour in traffic on a Saturday morning to arrive. After I passed, it took another hour to get home.

If online testing is an option, I will choose it every time. I will only go to a testing center if online testing is not an option.

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    I've never had any significant problems. One time, a proctor claimed to have lost my webcam feed. The proctor rebooted my exam and everything went fine after that. Other than that, all of my OnVue exams have run flawlessly.
    Definitely glad to hear that your experience has been very positive. I think we've all heard the horror stories which is probably what OP was getting.

For me, it's sort of a 'frame of mind' thing. When I go to a test center, my brain switches to a 'testing' mode. Perhaps I could easily be just fine going into a bare office and doing it. But with a test center down the street in my other building, it works.

Anyway...

/r

Michael Schmitz

Aug 9, 2021
    Germany
    www.linkedin.com
    Usually, if there is some change like that, it would be announced with enough time to adjust to it.
    I had taken years ago one Exam online with OnVue, was no issue at all.
    The last tests (ECC, PECB or ISACA):

1. test should start at 7 PM, i was with the Proctor online at 6:45, it took him 15 min alone to check my ID Card, since the hologram made it hard to screenshot it via Camera, exam startet at 7:30 or so.
    2. had to remove books from under the Desk, which where not available to me, since the hands are on the Desktop all the time.
    3. had to remove a 2. Screen, which was turned of, before starting the test.
    4. last experience: was online in the tool 15min before start, waited for 50 min for the proctor to show up in the tool. Then i had to call support in India (Phone number only on the main website, not when you are logged in). They told me, i had recieved an email with an link to join (which is not as stated in their instructions). So, after 1h waiting, i could start the 6h Exam, that lasted then till 3 o`clock in the morning.

I understand the reasons to take tests online, but prefere testcenter. but for some vendors, you really have to drive long distance (Certiport or Eccouncil for me: are minimum 2.5 hours drive to nearest testcenter).
    some typo edited.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MBA

LynW

• Jun 30, 2020
    Instructors who have students who need to take the exams online can help prepare them for using OnVue and the UX. When I have learners with transportation issues or other barriers, an online exam may be necessary. I encourage them to carefully go through the requirements and do the successful setup process at least 3 days in advance. From experiences my students have shared with me, I have two scenario recommendations to discuss with your students. 1) Do not practice reading questions aloud - this could result in the proctor interrupting and asking for silence. 2) Keep full face in the video view - I had a student who leaned toward the screen frequently to read the question and was asked to stop moving around. That being said, I had a student with approved accommodations for a reader who was able to use the accommodation on OnVue successfully.

As the person that hears all of the complaints for our different exams. OnVUE is not that bad. Yes you do need to follow the rules of remote proctoring. The rule set is a bit more stringent since the candidate is at home. But Pearson is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than ProctorU. Their software is problematic. The proctors have been known to just shut the exam down prior to it starting, which means you have to submit a customer service ticket if the voucher has already been redeemed. I have been screamed at for selecting them as the proctoring company for an exam sponsor organization. Oddly enough Meazure Learning is their onsite proctoring division, and they are fantastic. So in 2024, you have to weigh the good and the okay. At home is convenient but, know that they are more nitpickier. In the testing center is not as strict, but PSI now has us metal detecting all candidates because of the increased number of cell phones smuggled into the testing centers. Hope that I gave you some insight from the testing side of the business. Disclaimer: Not a proctor - I am the person that received the complaints :)

No complaints from me. I love remote testing. I wish ISC2 would do it too.

The people who have most of the problems are the ones who either didn't read the rules or read them but didn't follow them.

And these are the people trying to get IT jobs.........I weep for our industry.

Matthew Browne

• May 14, 2021
    Ireland
    www.focus-it.ie
    I wish to Echo @Gregory Childers sentiment I have Taken in excess of 150 exams through OnVue online system for Multiple Providors having taken 50 onsite in test centers I never once had an issue with the online system through OnVue.

It would be disappointing if this went away , when I went to take my ISC2 exam travel alone for me is 6 hours to Dublin Ireland as not all pearson vue centers operate every exam providor.

Is there something changing here that candidates should know I can't imagine CompTIA running there own testing system would not be cost effective.