SOC "Security Operations Center" in comptia tracks

Jarrel

• Feb 17, 2020
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com
    Reference: https://www.comptia.org/content/articles/what-is-a-security-operations-center

Activity Description CompTIA Certification
    End point analysis The ability to understand how a network host is supposed to behave and how it can be manipulated CompTIA A+
    Network and cloud resource evaluation Experience with how protocols can be misused CompTIA Network+
    CompTIA Cloud+
    CompTIA Linux+
    CompTIA Server+
    Vulnerability recognition and attack recognition Practical, hands-on experience with exactly what an attack looks like CompTIA Security+
    Analysis of Tactics, Techniques and Procedures (TTPS) and Indicators of Compromise (IoC) Ability to identify specific hacker activities CompTIA Security+
    CompTIA CySA+
    CompTIA PenTest+
    Following each step of the hacker lifecycle Detailed ability to trace how a hacker pivots while making an attack; requires knowledge of various models, including the Lockheed-Martin Cybersecurity Kill Chain, the MITRE ATT&CK model and the diamond model CompTIA Security+
    CompTIA PenTest+

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
    the Netherlands
    www.kilala.nl
    Ok,but if an organizatioon needs a dedicate course for SOC I can not ask them to throught all the above distributed topics
    Géant (European CSIRT organization) have the courses "TRANSITS 1" and "TRANSITS 2", which are very affordable. They explain very well what it takes to build a SOC.

If you're more into the technical aspects, CompTIA's CySA+ has a lot of it covered.

hosnypasha

Sep 9, 2020
    I
    Géant (European CSIRT organization) have the courses "TRANSITS 1" and "TRANSITS 2", which are very affordable. They explain very well what it takes to build a SOC.

If you're more into the technical aspects, CompTIA's CySA+ has a lot of it covered.
    disagree with you No single course can cover any technology but simply customers who are interted in SOC they will go to EC-councel rather than Comptia

hosnypasha

Sep 9, 2020

I am thinking of creating a complete training solution throught Comptia rather than going to different vendors

@ Stephen I would like to know if there is a dedicated course in Comptia for SOC "Security Operations Center" like EC-Council ,if not what about creating such a new course
    I have a feeling it may be too niche around which to build a certification or course. I remember CompTIA exams and certs that have gone by the wayside out of lack of interest, such as Healthcare IT (I was actually studying for that before it got nix'ed) - and Storage+. Although we're all excited to see Data+ join the portfolio, I hope it lasts and doesn't pass away like others. I'm pleasantly surprised that Server+ made the cut.

But I'm not so sure a SOC+ type cert would gain a lot of market share. It's like a degree for Computer Science with the concentration in Gaming. Not a lot of utility. Just get the degree in CompSci and if you want go into Gaming, you're good.

Just my 2¢

/r

Reactions: Tess Sluijter
    I have a feeling it may be too niche around which to build a certification or course. I remember CompTIA exams and certs that have gone by the wayside out of lack of interest, such as Healthcare IT (I was actually studying for that before it got nix'ed) - and Storage+. Although we're all excited to see Data+ join the portfolio, I hope it lasts and doesn't pass away like others. I'm pleasantly surprised that Server+ made the cut.

But I'm not so sure a SOC+ type cert would gain a lot of market share. It's like a degree for Computer Science with the concentration in Gaming. Not a lot of utility. Just get the degree in CompSci and if you want go into Gaming, you're good.

Just my 2¢

/r
    You mean my i-Net+, CDIA+, and DHTI+ aren't going to help me land a CISO job? :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
    Reactions: Jarrel
    You mean my i-Net+, CDIA+, and DHTI+ aren't going to help me land a CISO job? :ROFLMAO:
    Well, your DHTI+ might come in handy when managing the scads of IoT devices that are invading homes all across the world. And a man's home is his castle, so by virtue of that, you're already a CISO.

I feel congratulations may now be in order. Toss back a beer or a shot of cheap hooch and celebrate your victory, mate. You've earned it.

/r

Patrick Asamago

Oct 2, 2021
    Well, your DHTI+ might come in handy when managing the scads of IoT devices that are invading homes all across the world. And a man's home is his castle, so by virtue of that, you're already a CISO.

I feel congratulations may now be in order. Toss back a beer or a shot of cheap hooch and celebrate your victory, mate. You've earned it.

/r
    Thank you for this informatiom

I was one of the developers of the Cisco CyberOps (entry level SOC staff focused) curriculum and I can tell you that developing a SOC course that would satisfy requirements from different organizations is a very difficult request. CyberOps was developed based on training that was being offered via organizations like FIRST (Forum of Incident Response Teams). You can see that in Jarrel's response above; which I believe is spot on.

hosnypasha

Sep 9, 2020
    I was one of the developers of the Cisco CyberOps (entry level SOC staff focused) curriculum and I can tell you that developing a SOC course that would satisfy requirements from different organizations is a very difficult request. CyberOps was developed based on training that was being offered via organizations like FIRST (Forum of Incident Response Teams). You can see that in Jarrel's response above; which I believe is spot on.
    Of course SOC course that would satisfy requirements from different organizations is a very difficult but that does not mean no need of creating such a course
    ec-council aready created one :

https://www.eccouncil.org/programs/...csa/#2--emphasizes-on-end-to-end-soc-workflow

/r
    I always swore that when I started making a comfortable salary that I would never drink cheap alcohol ever again.

Now where did I put that 20 year old bourbon?