• We will be shutting down for a brief period of time on 9/24 at around 8 AM CST to perform necessary software updates and maintenance; please plan accordingly!

Are There New Requirements for CompTIA Trainers?

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    Hi @Ronald, Thanks for the inquiry. There has never been any requirement to be a CompTIA Trainer or a Certified CompTIA Trainer. I would like to have one, as I think it helps trainers stand out when promoting their skills. CompTIA has always suggested that a trainer hold the certification they are teaching, which I highly agree with. However, there are no official rules for being able to teach towards CompTIA Certifications.

The CTT+ certification was geared primarily toward folks coming from industry moving into the training field. The goal was to provide skills for managing a training environment and technologies used to deliver content and engage students. While this certification was good for proving the holder had the skills required to deliver a course successfully, CompTIA never required a trainer to hold the certification.

CompTIA actually retired and dropped the CTT+ certification. It desperately needed to be updated to current training delivery technologies, and the cost to update the product was just too high compared to the overall lack of interest in the certification.

CompTIA is developing a training delivery course that, when completed, will serve as a training course for those looking to enter the training field. The course will be just that: a short training course without a high-stakes certification. I do not have any update on when this type of course will be publically available. We will definitely keep you posted on any announcements!

With that said, what are the thoughts of the community? What do you think should be offered? Do you think a stand-alone certification similar to CTT+ would be of value? Who would sit for the certification?

Looking forward to the feedback!

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    I hope you’re all doing well. Are there any new requirements or programs from CompTIA for becoming a trainer, especially since CompTIA Trainer+ is no longer available?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Tagging @Rick Butler and @Stephen Schneiter for insights. Thanks in advance for any information.
    Hey Ronald:

So CTT+ was decommissioned last year, as you know. As far as I know, there aren't any plans to add any follow-on certs in its place. I know there are a number of folks who'd like to see it come back, but only time can tell if it will.

CompTIA hasn't prescribed any requirements to being a trainer; it really boils down to the organization for which you work, as to what requirements are needed to be a trainer. Mostly, the trend I'm seeing these days is that you have the certification for which you're training (yes, there are people who don't, yet teach).

Hope that helps.

/r

Reactions: Yassia

Leslie

Mar 23, 2022
    Hi @Ronald, Thanks for the inquiry. There has never been any requirement to be a CompTIA Trainer or a Certified CompTIA Trainer. I would like to have one, as I think it helps trainers stand out when promoting their skills. CompTIA has always suggested that a trainer hold the certification they are teaching, which I highly agree with. However, there are no official rules for being able to teach towards CompTIA Certifications.

The CTT+ certification was geared primarily toward folks coming from industry moving into the training field. The goal was to provide skills for managing a training environment and technologies used to deliver content and engage students. While this certification was good for proving the holder had the skills required to deliver a course successfully, CompTIA never required a trainer to hold the certification.

CompTIA actually retired and dropped the CTT+ certification. It desperately needed to be updated to current training delivery technologies, and the cost to update the product was just too high compared to the overall lack of interest in the certification.

CompTIA is developing a training delivery course that, when completed, will serve as a training course for those looking to enter the training field. The course will be just that: a short training course without a high-stakes certification. I do not have any update on when this type of course will be publically available. We will definitely keep you posted on any announcements!

With that said, what are the thoughts of the community? What do you think should be offered? Do you think a stand-alone certification similar to CTT+ would be of value? Who would sit for the certification?

I'm new to the CompTIA certifications and I only teach the courses in which I'm certified - as that only makes sense. I have never heard of CTT+ certification, but it is something that I would interested in pursuing.

Reactions: Ronald

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    I'm new to the CompTIA certifications and I only teach the courses in which I'm certified - as that only makes sense. I have never heard of CTT+ certification, but it is something that I would interested in pursuing.
    Leslie: Unfortunately, the CTT+ has been discontinued as of last year. I do hope, on some level, they bring it back.

Reactions: Yassia

Ronald

• Jul 9, 2024

Hi @Stephen Schneiter
    Thanks for the info! I think the CTT+ was a great addition for teaching skills, but years of experience in the field should also matter. A stand-alone certification could be valuable, especially for those new to training. However, hands-on experience should be just as important when promoting trainers' skills.

Looking forward to any updates!

Ronald

• Jul 9, 2024
    Hey Ronald:

So CTT+ was decommissioned last year, as you know. As far as I know, there aren't any plans to add any follow-on certs in its place. I know there are a number of folks who'd like to see it come back, but only time can tell if it will.

CompTIA hasn't prescribed any requirements to being a trainer; it really boils down to the organization for which you work, as to what requirements are needed to be a trainer. Mostly, the trend I'm seeing these days is that you have the certification for which you're training (yes, there are people who don't, yet teach).

Hope that helps.

/r
    Hi @Rick Butler
    Thanks for the update! I understand that CTT+ was decommissioned, and while it's uncertain if anything will replace it, I agree that having the certification you're teaching is becoming more of a standard requirement these days. It definitely helps ensure trainers are equipped with the right knowledge, although I’ve also seen cases where that’s not always the case.

Appreciate the insight!

jarrelrivera

Aug 15, 2019
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com
    I echo what they have all said. :D

It is indeed sad that CTT+ has been decommissioned.

Having said that, I encourage you to check if there are instructor training courses that you can take either online or in class. It is great to have some teaching background, as that can help prepare you in either in-class or online deliveries.

The train-the-trainer sessions is a good avenue to learn from other trainers, regarding the course content, and how a particular course can be delivered. Plus, you also get certificates for completing each session!

Reactions: Ronald
    As a CompTIA Adjunct Instructor, I must have the current version of the CompTIA exam I am teaching.

I.E. if I'm teaching Security+, I have to have the SY0-701 version of the exam, which I do. I've got six of the seven Security+ exam versions, but I need the 701 to teach the 701 class.

Every time the exam version, I have to retest if I'm going to teach the new version. I have four different Network+ certifications, but I can't teach the 009 version because my most recent one is the 008 version. I will have to retest.

That is a CompTIA requirement for Adjunct Instructors.

Other clients only care if your certification is still active in the system. Most of my renewable certifications are good through 2028 or 2029.

Hi @Rick Butler
    Thanks for the update! I understand that CTT+ was decommissioned, and while it's uncertain if anything will replace it, I agree that having the certification you're teaching is becoming more of a standard requirement these days. It definitely helps ensure trainers are equipped with the right knowledge, although I’ve also seen cases where that’s not always the case.

Appreciate the insight!
    Everything that I've heard about CTT+ is that there are no plans to replace it.

You may want to look at Microsoft's MCT program. According to their site that may open again next month.

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
    Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    The train-the-trainer sessions is a good avenue to learn from other trainers, regarding the course content, and how a particular course can be delivered. Plus, you also get certificates for completing each session!
    Spot on @jarrelrivera! I think this is one of the great features of the TTT series is that you get to experience different teaching styles, different methods for delivering content and explaining concepts to students. You also get to network with other instructors from around the world and share ideas about delivering content. Great takeaways!