New Instructor Advice

Hello out there, @Wayne Boggs , @gabethetech, @Barb, and, @Kari Lindley - Welcome to CIN! Glad to have you out here! Looking forward to chatting y'all up and seeing you in the events.

I was an Army Instructor/SGL.

Thank you for your service, sir. *Salute*

I am always up for any suggestions on how to get my students more engaged/active in class, not just sitting in front of a screen doing lab after lab.

An old friend of mine once said, "Content is King". I also believe the secret sauce is personal engagement. The content can only bring you so far - everyone's got that. But what makes the difference comes from having well meaning and dedicated teachers who don't just teach to the Cloud, but actually teach people. There is a marked difference here, as you probably well know.

No, we can get everyone engaged - but the more the instructor is engaged with their students and the learning environment, the better off it is.

A great book that has helped me is from Dr. Michael Lanouette, "Ten Traits of Highly Effective Instructors". He also has some great videos out there where he explains his points.

If you start a new course and go to the Import Commons section, you can import a pre-made course. I've not tried this in the past, but it could be really nice for our ITF+ class.

Appreciate that, Kari - I'm sure I'll be looking into that very soon. I take it you're a fellow Canvas user then.

Talk at y'all soon!

/r

New instructor here in my first semester teaching Career-Technical Cybersecurity. Trying to get our program running and learn how to teach at the same time. I can already tell the CIN will be a wealth of knowledge just from reading the forums and watching some of the past webinars.

Rick Butler said:
A great book that has helped me is from Dr. Michael Lanouette, "Ten Traits of Highly Effective Instructors". He also has some great videos out there where he explains his points.

Just looked over a sample of this book, I'll definitely be picking it up. Great recommendation

I am a new CompTIA instructor 2019/2020, What a year to get started teaching again. CIN has been a tremendous gem of a find for me. I look forward to the rest of 2020 and 2021 is going to Rock on CIN as well. I thank Stephen S and all of the contributors to make this a very special place and platform.

Kari Lindley

Aug 7, 2019
Hello out there, @Wayne Boggs , @gabethetech, @Barb, and, @Kari Lindley - Welcome to CIN! Glad to have you out here! Looking forward to chatting y'all up and seeing you in the events.

An old friend of mine once said, "Content is King". I also believe the secret sauce is personal engagement. The content can only bring you so far - everyone's got that. But what makes the difference comes from having well meaning and dedicated teachers who don't just teach to the Cloud, but actually teach people. There is a marked difference here, as you probably well know.

No, we can get everyone engaged - but the more the instructor is engaged with their students and the learning environment, the better off it is.

Appreciate that, Kari - I'm sure I'll be looking into that very soon. I take it you're a fellow Canvas user then.

Talk at y'all soon!

/r

Yes. We have all of our courses in Canvas. We haven't moved from Mike Meyers to CompTIA for all classes just yet. So Mike Meyers offers materials that go along with the book. True/False questions, multiple-choice, fill in the blank, and short answer. So it helps reinforce learning throughout the chapters.

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    Hello @Edgargdo, the new Network+ objectives are still TBD as of this week. The exam is expected to launch Q3 of next year. So I would look for exam objectives sometime in the spring. Keep checking here in the community, as we will have the Network+ Sneak Peek around the time the objectives are released.

Yes. We have all of our courses in Canvas. We haven't moved from Mike Meyers to CompTIA for all classes just yet. So Mike Meyers offers materials that go along with the book. True/False questions, multiple-choice, fill in the blank, and short answer. So it helps reinforce learning throughout the chapters.
    Cool! We're using CompTIA stuff for our courses, so it will be interesting to see how these classes stitch in. We're looking to launch it all in January, so we have a lot of work to do. LOL

Reactions: Lee McWhorter
    I am a new CompTIA instructor 2019/2020, What a year to get started teaching again. CIN has been a tremendous gem of a find for me. I look forward to the rest of 2020 and 2021 is going to Rock on CIN as well. I thank Stephen S and all of the contributors to make this a very special place and platform.
    Hey there, we're glad to have you on CIN! CIN gets better when we have people contributing in and sharing their experiences and ideas. And there's always the motley crew in the Group Chat during webinars.

Hope to see you in the CIN meet up at the end of the month.

/r

Does CompTIA provide any material in LMS format? Blackboard, Canvas, etc?

I would love to incorporate some of the material directly into college classes, double bonus on training and education.

Gary

CompTIA doesn't provide content directly for other LMS's since they have their own learn.comptia.org LMS and platform. However, there is something called LMS Integration which can be done if you school has enough students and uses a compatible LMS like Moodle and such. I know it works with Moodle as we have a project in development, and my understanding is that it would work with Canvas as well. Not sure on Blackboard, but likely, depending on if they follow the appropriate level of the LMS spec. LMS integration does as it's name implies, it integrates or links the CompTIA LMS to yours so that results are shared, etc.

• Love
    Reactions: CPComptia

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
    Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    Does CompTIA provide any material in LMS format? Blackboard, Canvas, etc?

I would love to incorporate some of the material directly into college classes, double bonus on training and education.

@Gary Amerson CompTIA has LMS integration options available for CertMaster Learn, CertMaster Practice, and CompTIA Labs. If that's of interest to your organization, please contact your CompTIA BDM for more information.

Reactions: Lee McWhorter

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
    Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN

Hello @hodberman, you are correct, "What a year to get started teaching again. "!! You are going to have to share some of your experiences with the group sometime!

Welcome!! Glad to have you in the community!

@Gary Amerson CompTIA has LMS integration options available for CertMaster Learn, CertMaster Practice, and CompTIA Labs. If that's of interest to your organization, please contact your CompTIA BDM for more information.

Good to know. We're using CM Learn and Practice in a few places, as well as the official curriculum. And we're adopting Canvas, so this might help in that effort.

/r

gabethetech

Mar 8, 2020

Talk at y'all soon!

/r
    Thanks Rick,

I appreciate the book suggestion. As well, thank you for the support.

Indeed. Let me know what you thought of Dr. Mike's book. It is a good read, not one of those eye-roller, blah-blah titles that was the off-shoot of some freshly minted doctoral dissertation. Dr. Mike has a lot of years of experience in the Vocational and Technical Higher Ed sector. I was teaching for about 12 years before reading his book and I learned a lot.

/r

Teckkie2k

Jun 24, 2020
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I want to say hello to all!! I am a new "formal" instructor but I have taught Security+ downrange in Iraq to Army Soldiers. Without materials I might add and each scored in the 90 percentile. This was in 2010 in Basrah, Iraq. I will be knocking out for the Texas Tech Coding Academy (Texas Tech University) the CTT+ after certifying on several "+'s". I want students to take with them more than just the certification, I want the students to appreciate the love for the craft. I programmed my Commodore 64 in 1982 and continued forward until today. Hobby to Career to Hobby, and in each step of the way more fun than the last. I have been fortunate and blessed by the TTCA to divest over 30 years of craft to students. Yes, they will get certifications but they will get history and the admiration of this Old Man.

Let's do more than certify, let's teach.

Stephen
    www.linkedin.com/in/stephendpullum
    Is Commodore 64 the new name? Does 64 mean the age of the band? Is Lionel Richie still in the group? I'm so confused

1603084184165.png

Teckkie2k

Jun 24, 2020
    Atlanta, Ga.
    New instructor here in my first semester teaching Career-Technical Cybersecurity. Trying to get our program running and learn how to teach at the same time. I can already tell the CIN will be a wealth of knowledge just from reading the forums and watching some of the past webinars.

Just looked over a sample of this book, I'll definitely be picking it up. Great recommendation

Any help you need or any topics you have questions on, just reach out and we can have a remote session to discuss it and how to teach it. Good luck and glad to have you aboard.