New Instructor Advice

Heather Schmidt

Oct 15, 2019
Does CompTIA provide any material in LMS format? Blackboard, Canvas, etc?

I would love to incorporate some of the material directly into college classes, double bonus on training and education.

Gary
This would be great, because it would make the work more visible and cut down on hopping between applications.

kagiso

Oct 19, 2020
What other platforms can we use to re-enforce practical labs while assisting our learners to successfully complete their Security+ exam. My concern is that our learners are too focused in passing the exam using past questions from the net and not really the technical skills that they can access from just the course and resources.

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    What other platforms can we use to re-enforce practical labs while assisting our learners to successfully complete their Security+ exam. My concern is that our learners are too focused in passing the exam using past questions from the net and not really the technical skills that they can access from just the course and resources.

Hi @kagiso, agree! students need to understand the practical uses of the technology they are studying. It is too easy to focus just on the exam. We will talk some about this the CIN Sneak Peek for Security+ and it is always a topic in the TTT series. We will be looking at offering one for Security+ in January. You may also want to check out the webinar introducing the new CertMaster eLearning and Labs for Security+ 601. I think this will be a good resource for options to assist with student engagement.

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
    Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    This would be great, because it would make the work more visible and cut down on hopping between applications.

Hi @Heather Schmidt, you can definitely use CompTIA content with an LMS. You want to contact your CompTIA Business Development Manager for the details and specs.

Teckkie2k

Jun 24, 2020
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Does anyone have a good idea how long the Final Assessment of the Security+ course will actually take? The planner says 180 minutes. Is that accurate or should I plan on half that, like most exams?

Our normal class session is an hour and fifteen minutes. I don't think that will be enough time but three hours seems too long.
    Hi Tim. What do you mean by "Final Assessment"?

Tim W

Jul 27, 2020
    Kentucky, USA
    Well, don't I feel like a big dummy. :rolleyes:

We are using the CertMaster Learn Material and there is a Final Assessment listed that I am planning to use for the final for my course. When I went to the site to clarify what it was called and take a screen shot, I saw this.
    1603309386123.png

Thanks for the response though. I appreciate it.

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
    Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN

We are using the CertMaster Learn Material and there is a Final Assessment listed that I am planning to use for the final for my course. When I went to the site to clarify what it was called and take a screen shot, I saw this.
    View attachment 216

Hi @Tim W, the Final Assessment is geared to get students to start working on time management for the actual certification exam. What you are seeing is the way the actual certification will appear, 90i questions, 90 minutes. Granted not everyone would need 90 minutes to complete the exam and the assessment in CML does not have performance based questions.

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
    Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    Hi I am new to instructing at a local college, I am trying to find out how I can register teachers/students for discounted exams in the hopes my students will be more prone to getting there certifications. Any tips on where to go or how to set this up would be appreciated.

Hello @badroot is your campus an Academic Partner with CompTIA? If not I would recommend it as it is free to join and there are a lot of benefits including discount on exam vouchers and content. More information about the program can be found here, https://partners.comptia.org/become-a-partner/academy-partner

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
    Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    Welcome @AlvarezTech! The CompTIA Instructor Network is for all teachers teaching CompTIA certs, or want to be teaching. ITF+ is a great cert! I was talking with a teacher yesterday and he commented all high school students should take ITF+.

Let us know about your program sometime!

Reactions: AlvarezTech
    Welcome @AlvarezTech! I was talking with a teacher yesterday and he commented all high school students should take ITF+.

I actually had a similar conversation this morning with a sales rep from Dell. Personally, I think Dell should have their salespeople take the ITF+ so they will be more cognizant in how to service their clients. I'm not sure if Dell does this, although I do know they have their own certification packages.

/r

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
    Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    Is CompTIA ever thinking of doing a CTF competition? If so we could teach a course on this might be an interesting way for the CIN to network too? We could form teams and assist with learning more about adversarial techniques!

Hi @Kevin Tucker, we have discussed this as a possibility. It may be something we can look into doing in the future. I have even thought of not only a student challenge but maybe something for instructors to compete in as well to keep skills sharp. It would definitely take a team effort from CIN members to pull off correctly.

In the mean time, CompTIA has partnered with National Cyber League (NCL) that runs student competitions. CIN recently held an introduction webinar that can be viewed on-demand. There is also a discussion posting for NCL here in the http://cin.comptia.org/threads/national-cyber-league-competition.273/

Reactions: Rick Butler
    ... but maybe something for instructors to compete in as well to keep skills sharp. It would definitely take a team effort from CIN members to pull off correctly.

Well, we're ready, Steve. And we've no shortage of really great people out here that can build that up. I'm glad to get to know some of them!

/r

Teckkie2k

Jun 24, 2020
    Atlanta, Ga.

View attachment 216

Oh gotcha Tim thanks for clearing that up. Yea about 1:20 minutes is about the time my classes finish by.

Teckkie2k

Jun 24, 2020
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Wow, great question, and a very important and hard topic. Francois and I are going to tackle that question in our Security+ 601 Sneak Peek. However, the short answer is yes. there are labs that Instructors can use to help reinforce their learning.