New Instructor Advice

Jon Rilley

Aug 8, 2019
Does CompTIA provide any material in LMS format? Blackboard, Canvas, etc?

I would love to incorporate some of the material directly into college classes, double bonus on training and education.

Gary

I know currently they are working on a pilot program and it uses Canvas for all the curriculum. So I am sure something will be available in the future.

If you start a new course and go to the Import Commons section, you can import a pre-made course. I've not tried this in the past, but it could be really nice for our ITF+ class.
Note my posting today where I provide access to public domain content that's aligned to the ITF+ exam objectives.

CPComptia

Oct 15, 2020
I don't know if they develop directly to those platforms. We are actually migrating our college to Canvas, so we'll be having to start that ourselves. I can always check with Canvas and see if they have any prebuilt templates for their customers, but I don't think CompTIA does that.

/r
I am in the same boat here. I know with Cengage there is an import feature that puts its content into Canvas pages. Then you need to sort the pages out into modules within canvas. The quizzes import into Canvas and can be placed in the right modules. Many of the pages are just links into their MindTap LMS. So what happens is that in a Canvas only campus the students can find the material just like they do with the other classes. I suppose the process is the same as the CompTIA cert master LMS. I don't know. Can anyone here provide guidance?

CPComptia

Oct 15, 2020
Note my posting today where I provide access to public domain content that's aligned to the ITF+ exam objectives.
Steve,
In the past I've tried the commons area, but it was traditional academic versus IT classes. Are you saying there is an existing CertMaster course that can be imported? Guidance would be appreciated. I don't know if it is worth looking for what I want. Easier to build myself the straight CompTIA LMS.

CPComptia

Oct 15, 2020
CompTIA doesn't provide content directly for other LMS's since they have their own learn.comptia.org LMS and platform. However, there is something called LMS Integration which can be done if you school has enough students and uses a compatible LMS like Moodle and such. I know it works with Moodle as we have a project in development, and my understanding is that it would work with Canvas as well. Not sure on Blackboard, but likely, depending on if they follow the appropriate level of the LMS spec. LMS integration does as it's name implies, it integrates or links the CompTIA LMS to yours so that results are shared, etc.

You've stated just what I want to do using LMS integration with Canvas for the CompTIA A+. I could use encouragement here. At this moment it is all a bit too much for me.

mrmynerd

Jan 6, 2021
Cool! We're using CompTIA stuff for our courses, so it will be interesting to see how these classes stitch in. We're looking to launch it all in January, so we have a lot of work to do. LOL

Hello, I'm a new instructor in general and for the company work for. They just started offering A+ certification courses and are still trying to figure it out. Ironically, I'm a student turned instructor so I have a very unique perspective. We are going to use the CompTia materials as well even though the book isn't structed in a Core 1 and 2 format, which is kind of strange but we're going to give it a shot and provide Comptia with feedback. The company is struggling with the transition to online instruction and I think the biggest deficiency I noticed during class was the lack of virtual labs. Do you have any suggestions on tools for Core 1 and 2 labs?

Well, CompTIA's own offering of CertMaster Training is where I would start. There are virtual labs there. But past that, TestOut LabSim is a long standing product in this space. They offer both labs and talking-head lecture, and are reasonably priced. Cybrary, Udemy, and ITPro.TV have some that you might want to have a look at.

Reactions: MikeC

Anthony Brown

Jan 7, 2021
Charlottesville, VA
Welcome new instructors! Whether you are a first time instructor or an instructor teaching CompTIA certs for the first time this community is here for you! This is a great place to ask any questions about content delivery, resources, certification or ... anything else. Need some advise or suggestions, this is the place to find some answers. Be sure to jump in and introduce yourself!
Hello CIN,
I am new to CIN. My name is Anthony Brown. I live in Charlottesville VA. I am 29 years married with 3 college graduated kid/young adults. I am going to need a lot of HELP!!!

Hello CIN,
I am new to CIN. My name is Anthony Brown. I live in Charlottesville VA. I am 29 years married with 3 college graduated kid/young adults. I am going to need a lot of HELP!!!
Well, we've all been there in our career.

I would say, start up here in CIN by just getting involved in the discussions. Talk, ask questions, and like any other community effort, communicate with people. Attend the Sneak Peeks, Deep Dives, and TTT sessions when they come up. Work on your coveted "Everything+". You'll get there. We did. And if we can, you can too.

*Everything+ is an unofficial distinction of CompTIA diehards that have every cert currently offered in the CompTIA system. There are a few around, wearing red cloaks, hiding in the mists...

mrmynerd

Jan 6, 2021
Well, CompTIA's own offering of CertMaster Training is where I would start. There are virtual labs there. But past that, TestOut LabSim is a long standing product in this space. They offer both labs and talking-head lecture, and are reasonably priced. Cybrary, Udemy, and ITPro.TV have some that you might want to have a look at.

Thanks Rick, I'll check those out.

CPComptia

Oct 15, 2020
Hi @CPComptia, you should reach out to your CompTIA Business Development Manager, they should be able to get you the answers to questions regarding LMS integration. Each case is a little different, but I know it has been done successfully many times.
Hi Stephan. I found out that CompTIA will integrate with Canvas and that they have a pricing model where the college has to estimate students and then pay a price based on that. My college is not quite ready for that yet or I'd have to lobby for that with my department chair. That is to much for me to take on right now.

I've been looking into CompTIA's own LMS to see if I can get a LMS class from CompTIA. I think the students would just pay a much smaller fee than textbooks. CompTIA doesn't make it easy to discover these things and give out complicated pricing sheets. I am going to try again this summer now that I understand CompTIA a little better.

CPComptia

Oct 15, 2020
CompTIA doesn't provide content directly for other LMS's since they have their own learn.comptia.org LMS and platform. However, there is something called LMS Integration which can be done if you school has enough students and uses a compatible LMS like Moodle and such. I know it works with Moodle as we have a project in development, and my understanding is that it would work with Canvas as well. Not sure on Blackboard, but likely, depending on if they follow the appropriate level of the LMS spec. LMS integration does as it's name implies, it integrates or links the CompTIA LMS to yours so that results are shared, etc.
I found out they do support Canvas. The pricing model is the same as for Moodle and the others.

Reactions: Lee McWhorter

John D.

Jun 9, 2020
Welcome new instructors! Whether you are a first time instructor or an instructor teaching CompTIA certs for the first time this community is here for you! This is a great place to ask any questions about content delivery, resources, certification or ... anything else. Need some advise or suggestions, this is the place to find some answers. Be sure to jump in and introduce yourself!
Howdy everyone! This is my first time to post so I hope I did this correctly. My name is John and I live and teach in San Antonio, TX. During the 20-21 school year I was tasked to teach Cisco I to 10th and 11th Graders, and for the most part was in the dark about how Cisco worked until I looked into it and got the account activated again. With most of the school year being virtual, teaching Cisco just seemed impossible.

As the year was winding down and finally got a chance to understand that CompTIA may actually be a better entry level learning pathway for such young students. I am trying to learn how CompTIA works and how to access material and if this is the better path forward for 21-22 school year. Any and all advice is welcomed. I am as green as they come and truly beginning to stress already in preparing for the new school year.

John, I agree. Two years ago a group of us developed learning content that is aligned with CompTIA's ITF+ current certification exam objectives. The great news is it is public domain since it was grant-funded. You may want to reach out to me via email ([email protected]) and I can provide access to the content. It is a great place to start because content is foundational in nature (a mile wide and an inch deep).

Steve